IT.COM

advice Client want to call me to discuss price

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

omelet

Top Member
Impact
Hello,

I outreached to a big firm to sell one single word .com name (I didn't mention the price). The secretary of CMO replied me said Mr.CMO wants to have a 15-20 minute phone call to learn about the price. Yes it is a public traded company with 3.15 billion USD (2020) in revenue.

So what is the best tactics on the phone?

thanks everyone

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
- Have a realistic price in mind
- Be excited about the domain and believe in its value
- Think of a handful of reasons why his/her company needs this domain
- Relish the moment, you get to have a business discussion with the CMO of a billion dollar company

•••
Everything @Grego85 said;

i would like to add; have a range in mind:

Dont get caught deer headlight; love the story;
following, Good luck!

Samer

Last edited:
•••
It's a tough call.
Every company (especially big and public companies) needs to have the budget approved before they can buy something with big price tag.
You have to explain about the importance of the name and ask him what would be a reasonable price that he can get approve.
There are also too many questions that you need to ask yourself: What the name can be used for? replace the existing or add to the company for additional service or product..etc...
The reason because you don't want to under-price the name or overprice which will scare them away.
If you are not comfortable to negotiate then may be you want to work with a broker.

Also don't rush them. It will take time in this situation.

Last edited:
•••
Well, here is what one pro (Domain King) thinks . . .

Quoting Rick Schwartz,

"I seldom if ever have a phone conversation.

I do nearly 100% of my business via email.

I think only three of my sales ever involved a phone call and even then
99% of it was done by email.

I don’t do business phone calls.

I want the written record. I reject the phone as a tool."

•••
I would use a broker in this situation.

•••
15-20 minute phone call ? Sounds fishy. If you do call and they try to buy the domain by doing barter or talk you into something weird, don't do it.

•••
Congratulations on getting this far, and good advice offered above by multiple people.

The latter part of the interview with @domainsterr has a section on negotiation process that has good advice in my opinion. Coming in with a range, be friendly but professional, be enthusiastic about the name and fit to company so research it as much as possible. Here is link
https://www.namepros.com/blog/domainer-interview-joseph-ciprut-the-cognitive-master.1205622/

Best wishes - hope it results in a sale.

Bob

•••
If you're feeling uncertain, why not hook up a broker at this point? Maybe you could negotiate the commission since you worked on the lead and "only" need help with closing the deal.

Personally I'm on the same page as the Domain King, I passionately hate phone calls and I prefer to have everything in writing. I usually don't call even if the potential buyer asks me to (or asks for the phone number), I just ignore it and reply via e-mail. :whistle: That said, I closed some deals over the phone but maybe it helped that they were lousy negotiators, as I'm not a great bullshitter speaker myself.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back