IT.COM

opinion City name domain

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Firenze

Established Member
Impact
Hello everyone, please apologize my English

I m a really newbie, and I m curious to know if a .net domain that is basically the name of a city has any value.

If it has... I imagine that it also depends on what is the city we're talking about.

Thank you !

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Hello and welcome,

As you have mentioned it depends on the city in question. Exact geo domains in the .net extension can have value but of course this is dependant on a multitude of factors. For example:

Is the city well known internationally? Is it an administrative center? Population? Is it a popular tourist destination? GDP/capita? and so on...

Major US/European cities in .net can go for (mostly low-mid) $xx,xxx if the buyer is motivated.

Can you reveal the domain? It would help a lot in terms of valuation.

Last edited:
•••
Thank you Akos

The domain is Bethleem.net, It was available so I couldn't resist ❤

it it's the French spelling, not the English spelling BethleHem, that could change a lot I think...But since it's considered a holy city.. Maybe.

Last edited:
•••
I think it was decent enough to register.

•••
Major US/European cities in .net can go for (mostly low-mid) $xx,xxx if the buyer is motivated.

I own elmonte.net. Where do I go to get my $xx,xxx?

•••
I own elmonte.net. Where do I go to get my $xx,xxx?

I hope you can get even more than $xx, xxx but akos said Major US/European cities. Not sure that El Monte is in the "MAJOR" target.

•••
I saw an infographic that showed French as #6 on the top languages spoken on the top 10 million websites from Alexa. English was 60% and French was 2.6%. So I think the demand for Bethleem.net would probably be a lot lower than Bethlehem.net but I'd think there'd still be more demand for the city's name in French than in say Turkana, a language spoken by less than 1 million people and a good portion of which don't have internet access.

Edit: I also want to say that I see that the com/org are taken by the same developed website already which might deter people from using the .net but also might increase the demand since the com and org are taken.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back