IT.COM

Chrome's built-in Adblocker launching on the 15th of February

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
This is what caught my attention:
It’s important to note that some sites affected by this change may also contain Google ads. To us, your experience on the web is a higher priority than the money that these annoying ads may generate—even for us.

Full article here:
https://9to5google.com/2018/02/14/google-chrome-ad-blocker-launch/

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
I use a personal landing page where all my domains point too. It uses the originating domain in the address bar and shows what I want it to. I tried parking once and for the measly pennies I got I was better off advertising my own domains.

So now I have a lander and all advertisements are my own. It gets past all blockers no issues and my clients see what I want them to.

•••
oh wow.. that does suck indeed. not even a sale banner. at least my PC pages show the banner.. which for most of my domains is what matters most to me.. and most domainers.

Yup 100% blank, not a single thing shows, anyone not knowing better would think no website at that address.

•••
I use a personal landing page where all my domains point too. It uses the originating domain in the address bar and shows what I want it to. I tried parking once and for the measly pennies I got I was better off advertising my own domains.

So now I have a lander and all advertisements are my own. It gets past all blockers no issues and my clients see what I want them to.

cool

may I ask what you make from such homemade ads and pages.. say monthly averages.. and for roughly how many domains?

keep talking like this and you may end up convincing me to hire you to set me up for this stuff! :)

•••
cool

may I ask what you make from such homemade ads and pages.. say monthly averages.. and for roughly how many domains?

keep talking like this and you may end up convincing me to hire you to set me up for this stuff! :)

My ads are not for revenue, they are the advertisements of some of my domains.... ie logos etc

See them here if you like.... www.mapledots.com

I have over 600 domains pointing to that lander.

Then some display domains separate displayed like big box ads on my lander.

Last edited:
•••
My ads are not for revenue, they are the advertisements of some of my domains.... ie logos etc

See them here if you like.... www.mapledots.com

I have 600 domains pointing to that lander.

Then some display domains separate displayed like big box ads on my lander.

oh ok
sorry... you said you got ads.. and you said they don't get blocked by blockers.. so I assuemd it was all revenue
okay I see what you mean now..

well.. if you want to show your other domains to potential buyers then parking pages aren't ideal either.. no more than they are for buynow prices like I said above.. though of course, you can setup your parking banners to redirect anywhere too.. be it a buynow sedo page.. or a portofolio page like yours. all they gotta do is click on banner.

but that's a whole different debate.. that boils down to to easch his own.. as to whether a potential buyer of yours usually seeking specific domain.. should be flooded with thousands or hundreds of other domains to look at.. my take on that is no. but that's nothing more than my take. you will millions agreeing with me.. and millions disagreeing.

cheers

•••
There are places already where you can park your domains and have your own landing pages in bulk or for each one. Maybe as adblockers become standard and ads less prevalent more people will move to customising their own.

•••
oh ok
sorry... you said you got ads.. and you said they don't get blocked by blockers.. so I assuemd it was all revenue
okay I see what you mean now..

well.. if you want to show your other domains to potential buyers then parking pages aren't ideal either.. no more than they are for buynow prices like I said above.. though of course, you can setup your parking banners to redirect anywhere too.. be it a buynow sedo page.. or a portofolio page like yours. all they gotta do is click on banner.

but that's a whole different debate.. that boils down to to easch his own.. as to whether a potential buyer of yours usually seeking specific domain.. should be flooded with thousands or hundreds of other domains to look at.. my take on that is no. but that's nothing more than my take. you will millions agreeing with me.. and millions disagreeing.

cheers

Agreed but they see the domain they came for and if I'm going to show an ad on the lander why not display my domains as ads. I will probably get a bigger return per year than from the pennies I get from parking. I can also link the domains to other places like sedo or brandbucket. I have 100% control of everything because its my lander. I can even add google ads if I want to.

•••
Agreed but they see the domain they came for and if I'm going to show an ad on the lander why not display my domains as ads. I will probably get a bigger return per year than from the pennies I get from parking. I can also link the domains to other places like sedo or brandbucket. I have 100% control of everything because its my lander. I can even add google ads if I want to.

yes, but thats exactly the debatable parts..to flood or not to flood... etc.. I find that trying to put yourself in buyer shoes is always a nice solution.. works good most time. not easy though.

but again, you are talking about not using parked pages cause they yield you pennies per month.. and I'm talking more about the folk who make tens or hundreds per month from parking.. so your solution and approach are different from them.. they do what needs to be done to keep making their revenues.. sale banners etc.. for others who make close to nothing from parking, what do they care about ad blockers, banners, etc.. they just make their own lander and don't think twice about it,.

•••
yes, but thats exactly the debatable parts..to flood or not to flood... etc.. I find that trying to put yourself in buyer shoes is always a nice solution.. works good most time. not easy though.

but again, you are talking about not using parked pages cause they yield you pennies per month.. and I'm talking more about the folk who make tens or hundreds per month from parking.. so your solution and approach are different from them.. they do what needs to be done to keep making their revenues.. sale banners etc.. for others who make close to nothing from parking, what do they care about ad blockers, banners, etc.. they just make their own lander and don't think twice about it,.

Yeah, I know that part does suck and unfortunately the parking revenue will probably decline. Being in the business it has always annoyed me that I could not unblock parked pages but because each address is different I cannot whitelist them. Trust me, it gives me ideas when I see other domainers pages. I cant tell you how often I have clicked the off button just to see more details about the domain. Unfortunately regular people who punch the address in by accident or who see the site blank will just click on the next webpage.

The more I think about it the more it sucks for people with income from parked pages. I would definitely be for not blocking them. In the end its all controlled by easylist and one has to pay to get whitelisted.

Last edited:
•••
"It’s important to note that some sites affected by this change may also contain Google ads. To us, your experience on the web is a higher priority than the money that these annoying ads may generate—even for us."

LOL. Tell that to the people who are paying for those ads.
Cutting off the foot to save the body? Quite revealing, imo.

•••
No doubt you'll be able to pay google not to have your ads blocked. They never do anything that doesn't make them money.

•••
No doubt you'll be able to pay google not to have your ads blocked. They never do anything that doesn't make them money.
It's just like the mafia extortion racket. They called it a "protection fee". It was a fee to protect you from "them".

•••
It could backfire on them though. It will make some people aware of adblockers and then also aware that their built-in one isn't blocking all of them if that's the way they're going to go (and I suspect they will). Some will no doubt then find an extension to do the same but not controlled by google.

•••

Most of the popular ad blockers do this, with the notable exception of uBlock Origin. They claim to have policies for allowable ads, but if you inquire about getting unblocked, they typically require you to fork over something like 30% of the ad revenue that you reclaim by being unblocked.

Google's a bit too big to get away with that, though. Their standards are subjective enough that I suspect they'll just enforce them more aggressively on competitors and less so on their own ads. From the little communication I was able to squeeze out of Google staff, that's the impression I got.

We're two days past the deadline, though, and I'm still not seeing any ads blocked in Chrome Canary. The ad-blocking option isn't even visible yet in the latest stable build.

REMEMBER, IF ALL ELSE FAILS IN THE AD WARS....
Simply use a browser that displays only text.
  • w3m
  • lynx
  • links
  • elinks

Last edited:
•••
It could backfire on them though. It will make some people aware of adblockers and then also aware that their built-in one isn't blocking all of them if that's the way they're going to go (and I suspect they will). Some will no doubt then find an extension to do the same but not controlled by google.

Or it will just encourage all the big sites to evade ad blockers, which means ad blockers will keep getting heavier and slower.

•••
"It’s important to note that some sites affected by this change may also contain Google ads. To us, your experience on the web is a higher priority than the money that these annoying ads may generate—even for us."

LOL. Tell that to the people who are paying for those ads.
Cutting off the foot to save the body? Quite revealing, imo.

Actually.... they are not paying for the ads, the only get charged if they are displayed or clicked. If someone has too many google ads on one page and the ads don't display then nobody is charged and nobody makes money and that includes google. However, the more people turn off ad blockers because the ads are no longer annoying the more money everyone makes all the way around. Even the great google has finally figured that out.

•••
We're two days past the deadline, though, and I'm still not seeing any ads blocked in Chrome Canary. The ad-blocking option isn't even visible yet in the latest stable build.

Yup, so far it looks like the ad blocking in canary is pretty tame, or in my case I have not come across a single page where it is implemented. On my google beta there is still no adblock setting.

Talking about android but in my google beta desktop I also do not have adblock yet and I am on version...
Picture0007.png

•••
Adblock Plus which is the largest ad blocker, PC, Sedo, and Voodoo I know are whitelisted by Adblock Plus. Some of the other adblockers use adblock plus's white label system.

Ublock, blocks everything. Nothing parking companies can do to stop their blocking.

Donny

•••
Also understand that if somebody like Mapledots who has Ublock installed, they may not see the ads on your parking page. But also they have no plans on ever clicking on your ads anyway.

Donny

•••
Also understand that if somebody like Mapledots who has Ublock installed, they may not see the ads on your parking page. But also they have no plans on ever clicking on your ads anyway.

Donny

hmmmm are yuo sure its proper to conclude that all people with blockers who now do not see your ads would have never clicked on them anyway? and if its not proper, then how magically can one infer on the proportions of those would have and might have.. vs those who'd not... as far as I know magic does not exist and therefore that'd not be possible. to infer it.

•••
@alcy - You are taking what I am saying out of context. People who install ublock origin, are usually your extreme cases of people who don't want to see ads. People who install adblock plus, which is usually want to block ads, but aren't crazy about blocking ads.

Adblock Plus has a 3 times larger installed base than Ublock origin on firefox. I'm assuming the same or larger is on chrome, but those stats aren't shared anywhere.

Donny

•••
The reason Google and I'm sure firefox and Edge will start to add their own adblockers in their browsers, is that companies like ublock and adblock plus are blocking their ads. And in the case of adblock plus, they require you to pay more to be whitelisted. So at least in my opinion, once people know that Chrome has an adblocker installed, they may not go looking for a better one. :)

Donny

•••
Donny, unlock is the fastest growing ad blocker and I would unblock parking pages because they are of interest to me.

Ublock origin will soon be number 1, it outperforms every ad blocker and you cannot buy your way in. That is why it will be number 1

Last edited:
•••
@alcy - You are taking what I am saying out of context. People who install ublock origin, are usually your extreme cases of people who don't want to see ads. People who install adblock plus, which is usually want to block ads, but aren't crazy about blocking ads.

Adblock Plus has a 3 times larger installed base than Ublock origin on firefox. I'm assuming the same or larger is on chrome, but those stats aren't shared anywhere.

Donny

sorry about that. I am not at your level of understanding how all this works. any chance you can put into plain english words for some of us here who may need it, whether yes or no the matter discussed in this thread, and any similar related future implementations, will have a significant impact on revenues from parked pages, for people who may be receiving some now.. through a company like yours... or do you forsee all this as hardly worth talking or concerning about? thanks. cheers.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back