Dynadot

Chrome's built-in Adblocker launching on the 15th of February

NameSilo
Watch
This is what caught my attention:
It’s important to note that some sites affected by this change may also contain Google ads. To us, your experience on the web is a higher priority than the money that these annoying ads may generate—even for us.

Full article here:
https://9to5google.com/2018/02/14/google-chrome-ad-blocker-launch/

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
can you try to surf on Forbes.com and tell us what do you see with your setup?

i hope parking companies will adopt something similar...
if you have adblock you don't see the website unless you disable it... so people will try to disable it and they will see ads... or maybe they will just go away because they are scared.

anyway many website are able to stay online thanks so ads.. if they stop to earn from ads they will shut down so surely some reaction will be taken, imho

uBlock gets around this no issue, with the link I previously posted it gets around most paywalls too. It wont take long for ad blockers to adapt. It's like when someone adds a script to protect an image, you can disable right click all you want, if I download the page I get the image. In rare cases I have seen secondary scripts that changed the .jpg to something else but in the end all I have to do is take a screenshot and I have the image.

Nothing can be done, if its out there it will be a cat and mouse game and the ONLY way advertisers will ever succeed is to go with basic text ads. I will block all other ads, especially websites that put the same add 8 times on a page, once as a banner, twice as a big box ad etc.

Be polite with ads and I will be polite as a consumer. Flash at me and try to distract me from what I am doing and I will block it.

REMEMBER, IF ALL ELSE FAILS IN THE AD WARS....
Simply use a browser that displays only text.

•••
can you try to surf on Forbes.com and tell us what do you see with your setup?

if you have adblock you don't see the website unless you disable it... so people will try to disable it and they will see ads... or maybe they will just go away because they are scared.

anyway many website are able to stay online thanks so ads.. if they stop to earn from ads they will shut down so surely some reaction will be taken, imho

I see Forbes but without ads :xf.smile:

•••
uBlock gets around this no issue, with the link I previously posted it gets around most paywalls too. It wont take long for ad blockers to adapt. It's like when someone adds a script to protect an image, you can disable right click all you want, if I download the page I get the image. In rare cases I have seen secondary scripts that changed the .jpg to something else but in the end all I have to do is take a screenshot and I have the image.

Nothing can be done, if its out there it will be a cat and mouse game and the ONLY way advertisers will ever succeed is to go with basic text ads. I will block all other ads, especially websites that put the same add 8 times on a page, once as a banner, twice as a big box ad etc.

Be polite with ads and I will be polite as a consumer. Flash at me and try to distract me from what I am doing and I will block it.

Maple what do you see on Forbes with ublock?

•••
I see nothing, I get right past the nag screen, I see no ads of any kind.
Mind you I have a script running that prevents pages from asking me to deblock them as well.

I also get past paywalls very easily.

•••
I see nothing, I get right past the nag screen, I see no ads of any kind.
Mind you I have a script running that prevents pages from asking me to deblock them as well.

I also get past paywalls very easily.

But do you see the website at all? Or you see nothing?

•••

Parked domain visitor will more likely simply go away if asked to disable adblock. Just happened to me when I visited mentioned forbes with adblock. Even though I was aware what to expect - Corporate America. Parked domain visitor does not know what exactly to expect, so they will even more likely go other sites instead of spending time and efforts due to curiosity. The best thing parked company may do is to forward such visitors directly to forsale link destination (if forsale top/bottom/etc banner or link is set), or, if the domain is not for sale, to zero click - but carefully selected (preselected) destinations, not "you won ipad" or "browser update" bs. Imho.

•••

i understand your concern and i'm ok too that a solution is needed for those thousands of ads appearing, popups and so on.

I just don't see a parking page as an annoying ad., as you come there via typo, type in, backlinks or search engine indexed pages (i consider social traffic like backlinks)

•••
Parked domain visitor will more likely simply go away if asked to disable adblock. Just happened to me when I visited mentioned forbes with adblock. Even though I was aware what to expect - Corporate America. Parked domain visitor does not know what exactly to expect, so they will even more likely go other sites instead of spending time and efforts due to curiosity. The best thing parked company may do is to forward such visitors directly to forsale link destination (if forsale top/bottom/etc banner or link is set), or, if the domain is not for sale, to zero click - but carefully selected (preselected) destinations, not "you won ipad" or "browser update" bs. Imho.
yes that was my thought too.. it will be very hard that they will disable adblock because they are curious to see something

•••
thanks for trying lyz co for me

apparently voodoo acording to @Donny has better ad whitelisting somehow... so I'm gonna put lyz co on voodoo now..

can you guys try it for me? ty

•••

apparently voodoo acording to @Donny has better ad whitelisting somehow... so I'm gonna put lyz co on voodoo now..

PC lander and voodoo are the same from my end.. they fail adblock test equally.

edit: i mean, if PC lander is blocked, also voodoo ones are

•••

Note that Donny talked about Chrome's adblock specifically not adblocks in general.
Adblocks (excluding Chrome's where we don't know what will happen yet) block ALL ads in parked domains or not

•••
I sure hope park companies adapt.
this is big business still today for voodoo.. parking crew.. bodis.. else they'd not be doing it.. paying hardware.. hiring people and what not..

also, its big business for many domainers still too..

I can't see it all just dying.. well.. at least not soon.

how abotu you @Donny ? do you see parking declining any time soon and eventually dying? or is the future looking bright still in yoru view?

•••

NOPE..it says this domain is for sale but no ads

•••
PC lander and voodoo are the same from my end.. they fail adblock test equally.

edit: i mean, if PC lander is blocked, also voodoo ones are

hmm weird.. I thought voodoo was supposed to be whitelisted more or something.. with some blockers... or most of them all.. I think I read that somewhere on google.. but can't be sure..

Last edited:
•••
i understand your concern and i'm ok too that a solution is needed for those thousands of ads appearing, popups and so on.

I just don't see a parking page as an annoying ad., as you come there via typo, type in, backlinks or search engine indexed pages (i consider social traffic like backlinks)

I would prefer to see parking pages because I am in the business but parking pages and sedo pages are blocked by default. That is done by a uBlock standard installation.

Sorry

•••

Get me a url and I will try it for you

•••
well... even at this moment.. it makes one wonder jsut how much money we're losing due to blockers when parking... and apparently this is just goign to get worse in future...

not best news when I was getting more comforable with learning more about parkign.. revenue domains and what not..

perhaps our fellow np member and with solid parking knowledge can also give his view on future of parking, adblockers.. etc... that'd be really appreciate... @smurge

Last edited:
•••
sedo pages are blocked by default. That is done by a uBlock standard installation.

Time to Sedo to finally introduce sale-only landers. Since it is still not done, I guess they understand that many customers will start using these landers by default and so the (remaining) parking income stream for Sedo will go down. What they probably miss is that the domainsales will go up, and so the sales commissions....

•••
Time to Sedo to finally introduce sale-only landers. Since it is still not done, I guess they understand that many customers will start using these landers by default and so the (remaining) parking income stream for Sedo will go down. What they probably miss is that the domainsales will go up, and so the sales commissions....

here is the sedo lander

https://sedo.com/search/details/?domain=lyz.co

Last edited:
•••

Indeed, may work if domain forwarding is set to this destination. But I see 3 issues with this setup:

- Last time I checked, they sent visitors to geo-specific localized forsale pages if the search was performed on the website. Manually setting domain forwarding to just one page (English) is not optimal, so it would be necessary to set a separate forwarding system with geoip db to do this correctly. Still may be done, but with extra work

- Such a sale would be marked as the sale "referred" by sedo.com itself and charged 20% commission. To the contrary, if a buyer visited sedo-parked domain and selected "buy now" link - it would be 15% commission.

- They still show "number of visitors" on the sales pages, even though such details are incorrect due to bots and have little to do with domain pricing anyway. Showing 0 visitors (which would happen in case of domain forwarding without parking) will not help sales.

Unless I am missing something with the issues noticed above, there is still something for Sedo to take care of...

•••

They must have done something on the sedo end because I can see your page... Yipee!!

It's getting through all the uBlock checks, and so it should because a proper landing page is not ads.

Picture0003.png

•••
So just to summarize....

If Sedo shows ads on your landing page it will be zapped.

Parking is all ads and is usually completely zapped

•••
hhehhe
look.. its a matter of perception really.
Im having a real hard time convincing myself that someone who comes to your either parked page with big banner on top or a sale lander like sedo, wanting to buy your domain.. will have much care whether he clicks on banner to contact you or fills out a form to do it.

could be different for buynow prices.. for obvious reaosns..but personally I'm more into makeoffers only.

so.. all this lander vs banner.. to me.. its more of a domainer thing. endusers, they just want yuor domain and a way to contact you. they don't think about what pages sell best to endusers :)

maybe we should all just put ourselves in their shoes.. would you care.. nah.. u just want that domain. and a way to contact owner.

jmo

•••
Here is a godaddy lander with ublock off

Picture0006.png

Now uBlock on...... blank page and address bar.

Picture0005.png

•••
So just to summarize....

If Sedo shows ads on your landing page it will be zapped.

Parking is all ads and is usually completely zapped

well.. I am nto sure what your sying by that as parking revenue is still way up there for a lot of people (I am not necessarily talking about me though I know its possible from experience to make money.. its just a matter of learning the methods.. and geting the right domains)..

so.. at least for now.. parking still works.. shows ads to enough people so that enough people still make money from parking today.. what future brings.. I guess we wait and see. :)

though I have to say.. I am also very curious as to what % of my vistors blocks the ads when they get to each of my domains..
I wish parkignm companies would display a ltitle stat like that next to each domain.. its technically doable right?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back