IT.COM

advice Chris.net - Epic Fail - Hold and hope mode

NameSilo
Watch
I have learned so much in the last 6 months -
#1 - Only buy .coms!
#2 - Don't buy anything but.coms
#3 - listen to advice

I have been buying domains for years that I like. I never really thought of it as a business - I bought uglydork.com in 1996 just because I liked it (still own it)

I don't know why, but I saw people buying and selling on eBay and thought it would be easy money and it was for small amounts. I decided I wanted to move up. I saw Chris.net for sale and jumped on it. I had big time people telling me to stay away from it but I didn't listen. I paid way too much and now I am stuck with it. Luckily I am not desperate for money and I can hold it, but I thought for sure this would be an easy flip!
I could have bought a 3 letter .com -

I have done everything you can think of to sell this name - I have attempted to contact every end user in the world named Chris - Chris Sacco is the only one to answer. I have paid for twitter ads - paid for PR releases - Been at Great Domains - Flippa and here. Nothing - $4,000 tops. Brokers wont touch it.

What have I learned? Listen to advice,dont fall in love with a name and take off the blinders. Seriously, listen to people who do this for a living. I can only hope that .net's make a comeback. I am also stuck with some high dollar generic .org and another .net. These are generic keyword rich names that have been with a broker for over a month and nothing! \

Stick with .com people. As soon as I sell this I am only dealing with generic and 2-3 letter .com

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
My advice, don't lose hope. I have sold several top first name dot com and I think we even discussed yours years ago. You never know what a day brings, it is still a great little name and when someone wants but cannot afford that big 5 or 6 figure dot com they just may turn to you.

I sold a LLL .net last week that would rank with LLL .com sells recently. You never know!

•••
Hello, That is not a bad .net by any means.. I'd keep it on that landing page, we really never know what will happen tomorrow.. Best of luck with it!

•••
My advice, don't lose hope. I have sold several top first name dot com and I think we even discussed yours years ago. You never know what a day brings, it is still a great little name and when someone wants but cannot afford that big 5 or 6 figure dot com they just may turn to you.

I sold a LLL .net last week that would rank with LLL .com sells recently. You never know!
So there is hope! I appreciate it. I have met so many awesome people on this site.

•••
There is a HUGE learning curve in this industry.

Some fall flat on their face....and some make it through the storm.

Don't get down in the dumps.

Stick with it and make it happen.

Mistakes will be made.

Learn from them, and move on.

•••
Don't give up.Like TheLegendARYJP said,"You never know what a day brings".Dont pay for any PR releases anymore ,just list in different platforms and it would definitely be found.I have refused offers of Low 4 figures on names the lowest XXX as I wanted mid 4 figures.Now that you know better just follow through.2017 is going to be more reported sales for you.

Keep the faith.

•••

Your advice has been legendary.I saved your quote.You are a silent legend.

•••
Don't give up.Like TheLegendARYJP said,"You never know what a day brings".Dont pay for any PR releases anymore ,just list in different platforms and it would definitely be found.I have refused offers of Low 4 figures on names the lowest XXX as I wanted mid 4 figures.Now that you know better just follow through.2017 is going to be more reported sales for you.

Keep the faith.

What other platforms should I use - I have run out of ideas. It is a lot harder to contact an end user than I thought! That's why we have people that do it for a living and I manage an IT department :)

•••
Simple for sale lander, the man who finds you, knocks on your door will pay more than the man you find.

•••
You just have to list and wait after contacting.Most end users and buyers take time to respond and it might take months or years.Seeing your money tied down for a name you expect quick returns can be frustrating at times when you don't get enquires and it just so happens that it's a name on .net and not a keyword that would attract interested buyers.

I can tell you that I bought a keyword .net yesterday for lowest and I expect a 4 figure return simple.
I'm listing at sedo,bodis,afternic,GD,uniregistry,undeveloped.com and I have never paid for PR.Name will sell itself .

•••
•••
I guess you bought it too high and that could be the reasons why you are not yet selling it? But just keep calm and wait for what the next day could bring. Just have faith; the name is good and it will definitly sell one day, and it will surely pay you for all the delayed.
All domains are not same, some will sell fast and some will sell slow.

Cheerup.

Last edited:
•••
Just list it on many more marketplaces for more exposures like they have said above. Good luck.

•••
It's not a bad name.. it can sell. However, I have always called .net a sidechick to .com. Even .org is better..because it's establish for non-profit and doesn't necessarily need the .com to do well.

We all make mistakes.. what you do next is what really matters. As much as I avoid .nets,i believe that name can sell. It only takes one enduser.

•••
I have had a similar experience with .nets. Some of those suckers just don't get sold. I had atleast 500 genuine leads and the best offer I could get was 100$.
P.S. It was a premium .net
Anyhow, best of luck with your domain.

•••
Had a domain called newbee.org, other then org all extensions are owned by the same owner. Pitched him for .org and the person is not willing to buy.

•••
Had a domain called newbee.org, other then org all extensions are owned by the same owner. Pitched him for .org and the person is not willing to buy.

thats the typical newbie mistake

•••
You probably will sell it, but with loss. I don´t think it will go higher then $4k,
I would say good buy at $500 range, everything else is waste off money

Stick with .com

•••
I have learned so much in the last 6 months -
#1 - Only buy .coms!
#2 - Don't buy anything but.coms
#3 - listen to advice

I have been buying domains for years that I like. I never really thought of it as a business - I bought uglydork.com in 1996 just because I liked it (still own it)

I don't know why, but I saw people buying and selling on eBay and thought it would be easy money and it was for small amounts. I decided I wanted to move up. I saw Chris.net for sale and jumped on it. I had big time people telling me to stay away from it but I didn't listen. I paid way too much and now I am stuck with it. Luckily I am not desperate for money and I can hold it, but I thought for sure this would be an easy flip!
I could have bought a 3 letter .com -

I have done everything you can think of to sell this name - I have attempted to contact every end user in the world named Chris - Chris Sacco is the only one to answer. I have paid for twitter ads - paid for PR releases - Been at Great Domains - Flippa and here. Nothing - $4,000 tops. Brokers wont touch it.

What have I learned? Listen to advice,dont fall in love with a name and take off the blinders. Seriously, listen to people who do this for a living. I can only hope that .net's make a comeback. I am also stuck with some high dollar generic .org and another .net. These are generic keyword rich names that have been with a broker for over a month and nothing! \

Stick with .com people. As soon as I sell this I am only dealing with generic and 2-3 letter .com
If you can afford 2 and 3 letter .coms why are you losing sleep of this crap? just wait till someone name chris hits lotto and sell the name to him

•••
Imo - that's a good domain, sure it's not a .com and .net is generally the fugly sister of a hottie (.com) but some people like fugly. If that wasn't the case then all married people would be hotties. We know thats not true..lol

How does my comparison relate to domaining at all? - Well, when you take away the smoke and mirrors and all the blah blah blah from everyone. The bottom line is that you are essentially dealing with human beings, those are you end users. We know that when it comes to preferences and choices human beings vary considerably..Yes, you get the majority who flock to similar tastes and buying patterns like sheep because thats what they are told to "like" and this sheep mentality is what essentially creates the market and unfortunately where were most of the "big money" is. However, this does not mean anything out of the mainstream is worthless..... Might fetch lower prices but the market does exist. Also based on affordability, for example...people who buy Hyundai's or Kia's etc... don't buy them because that's their dream car. Sure they would much rather have a Jaguar but it's just not affordable for them at the moment. So they buy what's withing their budget. Again, it comes down to human beings, human nature and human psychology. Chris.com would be highly unattainable for most people even if it was for sale. Chris.net presents a very good looking, affordable alternative. The Hyundai / Kia ... :)

Consider this, you saw Chris,.net and excitedly grabbed it...whilst you were a "domainer". As a domainer you believed you had an awesome domain. Now, there are probably a few million people named Chris, there would be a fair amount of them that are relatively affluent enough to drop $5k-$6k on a domain name. Even if purely from a vanity perspective, you could get Chris who might want to use the domain mainly for email. [email protected] ... if my first name was chris and I had $5k lying around..I would grab chris.net in a heartbeat. If I could get my first-name in a .net domain for $5K it would be a bargain... Also, a domain like that would make for a very very unique birthday/anniversary present for some one named Chris from one of their loved ones.

I think it's simply a case of not getting the domain in front of the right people's eyes. I would imagine it's one of those purchases that you didn't realize you want until you see it.... so chances are most of the chris's out there are not looking for a chris domain not because they dont want it but because they dont know they want it. So if you where to get this domain IN FRONT of their eyes.... chances are you would get a few interested Chris's

What I suggest you do is..... if you have the time... do a little bit of outbound marketing... check out Linkedin... do a search fo US/UK folks in senior management / business owner's named Chris... then check out their profiles...see if u can send them an inmail (if you have a premium Linkedin account)

If time is not on your side...but you have a small budget... THEN ... create a landing page for the domain or point to a marketplace where you have it listed...then spend about $50 on a PPC ad campaign on Linkedin targeting people in the US/UK/CAN named Chris ..do the same for Twitter and Facebook (Facebook make sure you define an age range because it would be pointless targeting teenagers named Chris) maybe spend $50 on each platform...thats $150 total... increase your selling price by like $500 to accomodate some money on adspend...

Just my 2 cents though...

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back