Dynadot

域名|Chinese Perspective

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
I believe only short and easy-to-remember domain names are sustainable, regardless of where in the world you live and which cultural background you come from.

Now that the Chinese domain market has become a hot topic, I myself want to understand this trend too. Is there any real meaning behind each domain name sold in China? Here, I'd like to share with you what I've found as I read the Chinese news everyday.

GZX.com
GZX can stand for 更自信 (even more self-confident) which can be used in many fields such as education, self-help, and even consumer products to raise your self image.

XLY.com
XLY can stand for 夏令营 (summer camp) or 新领域 (new field) which can be used in recreation and high-tech products.

New: Follow my blog posts on NamePros for updates.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
•••
Kassey which Baidu search to you use to show the relevance of a pinyin word or how many results there may be
The plain old search function at Baidu.com. Nothing special.

•••
The OFO domain acquisition reminds us of the importance of brand-matching .com

I have always thought that brand-matching .com domain names are very important, and a recent news story confirms my belief once again. Chinese bicycle sharing startup OFO recently acquired its brand-matching OFO.com for a reported price of more than US$ 1 million. Bicycle sharing services have exploded since last year, led by companies such as OFO which resides on OFO.so. The domain name is short and matching the brand as well. Then, why did OFO spend so much money to acquire OFO.com?

•••

I have always thought that brand-matching .com domain names are very important, and a recent news story confirms my belief once again. Chinese bicycle sharing startup OFO recently acquired its brand-matching OFO.com for a reported price of more than US$ 1 million. Bicycle sharing services have exploded since last year, led by companies such as OFO which resides on OFO.so. The domain name is short and matching the brand as well. Then, why did OFO spend so much money to acquire OFO.com?
The letters OFO also looks like a bicycle if you observe properly:xf.cool:

•••

The same reason the that JD.com acquired JD.com for $3 million and saved $20 million a year in payments for click throughs.

•••
The letters OFO also looks like a bicycle if you observe properly:xf.cool:

good call )

I guess, ORO, OKO, OTO, OYO etc. would have worked too )

•••
Do you need your .brand domain extension?

In January 2012, domain organization ICANN opened application for new domain extensions, thus allowing businesses to own their .brand. This news shocked the domain industry. Many industry experts believed that once companies transition their corporate website to their .brand and start registering as many domain names as they need on this extension, then they will no longer want to spend much money to acquire .com domain names. This would lead to collapse of the .com kingdom, making it the "second-class citizen."

•••

In January 2012, domain organization ICANN opened application for new domain extensions, thus allowing businesses to own their .brand. This news shocked the domain industry. Many industry experts believed that once companies transition their corporate website to their .brand and start registering as many domain names as they need on this extension, then they will no longer want to spend much money to acquire .com domain names. This would lead to collapse of the .com kingdom, making it the "second-class citizen."
Good for .com and cctld's, bad for new gtld's.

•••
•••
What's your opinion ?
LeLX. Le can refer to the Le group (Le.com), a major brand in China. For example, they own LeMall.com. If they decide to branch into tour or study abroad business one day, then LeLX.com may be of interest to them because LX may stand for 旅行(tour) and 留学(study abroad). Of course, they may go the LeTour.com or LeStudy.com route instead.

•••

The one thing we've learned-among many-from you @Kassey Lee is that .com rules in China and that at least in our case when we buy a .com name such as shengriheka.com (birthday card) we ALWAYS try to also buy the .cn so a large client buyer re Hallmark etc. of the name will have brand protection. We think this adds real value.

•••
LX may stand for 旅行(tour)
I should have translated 旅行 not as "tour" but "travel". In the commercial area, 旅游(tour) is commonly used.

•••
@Kassey Lee As an example we just bought zui jia che . com but also in the .cn

•••
Direct Visit + Uptrend = Must Use Good Domain Name

Consumers demand online shopping to be fast and simple. Therefore, businesses must pay attention to every step in the buying process. Naturally, the first and most important step is to encourage consumers to come and visit a website.

•••
Direct Visit + Uptrend = Must Use Good Domain Name

Consumers demand online shopping to be fast and simple. Therefore, businesses must pay attention to every step in the buying process. Naturally, the first and most important step is to encourage consumers to come and visit a website.
I think an "eye catching" pinyin does that even if its a 3 pin name. There are only so many 1 and 2 pin great names at $2 million a clip. re the car or insurance business etc. re taobao.com and alibaba etc We have among many others names such as chegongsi.com which we feel says it all-easy to recall even if it's 3 pin but as always time will tell. Great informative post so thank you as always @Kassey Lee

Last edited:
•••
I think an "eye catching" pinyin does that even if its a 3 pin name
That's true. Even 4-pin can be good, as in the case of A Li Ba Ba (阿里巴巴).

•••
Domain name -- CEO's future business card

Domain name is an unfamiliar term for many people. For those who have come across it, they probably think that domain name is used to build website. Actually, domain name has other uses as well: such as for investment as financial products. It can also be used to create a business card with personality. Today, I'll talk about the relationship between domain name and business card.

•••
We have domains
BJZX88.com which we interpret as Beijing Online 88

and

CNSH8.com which we interpret as China Shanghai 8

Are we correct? THANKS

•••
Have .CO a perspective in Chinese? What prevents the Chinese people from investing in short .CO? Because short .CO can be a good alternative to short .COM

•••
BJZX88.com which we interpret as Beijing Online 88
Yes, correct. BJZX=北京在线=Beijing Online

Have .CO a perspective in Chinese? What prevents the Chinese people from investing in short .CO? Because short .CO can be a good alternative to short .COM
Not much news about .co in China in terms of actual use in website development. When it comes to speculation, however, anything is possible. The chips thing is a good example of what is possible. In corporate China, it's all about .com and then .cn.

•••
See how my friend Fale created a globally branded domain name

On May 6 I published the article "How to create a global brand .com with only $10". The article describes how startups lacking funds can register a globally branded domain name at very low cost. Recently, I had an opportunity to put this concept into practice and I want to share this experience with you.

•••
Domain name tidbits

I write about domain names on LinkedIn six days a week, so a CEO friend said to me, "It must be very tiring!" No, I think it's a blessing to be able to do and share what you really like. Moreover, writing helps me better organize my thoughts, so today let me share with you what I understand about domain names.

•••
10 common domain name mistakes made by startups in China

I enjoy reading Chinese domain news. While doing so, I have found many mistakes in how domain names are selected by startups in China. Since last August, I have been writing domain case studies to explore this area. Recently I went through the 200+ cases I have covered and picked up 10 cases to share with you today.

•••
kassey i own the below idn domain registered from 2004 does it mean dream.com prime term or other meaning
梦想.com

Thanks

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back