Dynadot

Chinese IDN exist for traditional and simplified version

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
I tried to register a few Chinese IDNs at domainsite, but some failed. So, I send an email to them regarding this issue and the replied me as below.

Although your punycode name is available, someone has already registered a similar, if not identical, string of characters in the native text (unicode). The central registry bars the registration of code variants, like your name. Therefore, while our website indicates that your name is available, your order nonetheless failed.

My queation is I found that my surname exist in both (陳.com) traditional and (陈.com) simplified version. Why?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
tansks said:
I tried to register a few Chinese IDNs at domainsite, but some failed. So, I send an email to them regarding this issue and the replied me as below.

My queation is I found that my surname exist in both (陳.com) traditional and (陈.com) simplified version. Why?

This is probably because they were both registered before the bar was implemented. Otherwise, it is possible for some quirky reason they don't map in Unicode.

I have a few Chinese surnames but the bulk of them went early on. I have searched my Database, yours are not there.

•••
tansks said:
as RD pointed out,
1 reason being: the variant blocking feature for .com/.net only comes in to effect on April 2004 (date correct??) as introduced by Verisign following the recommendation of the Chinese ccTLD registries. Some names regged (depending on registrar??) prior to the date is outside the loop.

dynadot keep a small database of those blocked names., can check them before registration

hope this is correct

•••
Does similar idn already registered in Korean or Japanese will also cause fail to register in either Chinese simplified or traditional?

•••
Silhouette made a good comment about Dynadot. They will alert you if there is a variant right away (about 50% of the time) and if they are unable to register your name due to a variant that's not in their database, they immediately credit your payment back to your Dynadot account. I love this feature, because you can go right back to registering another IDN and you don't have to worry about getting an email or doing any footwork to get your money back. Prices there are good too on .com domains.

•••
Is this also apply for all extension like .tv or so?

•••
You can sometimes get the traditional version of a simplified Chinese domain, or visa versa. For example, I own email.net in traditional Chinese (xn--5nqx41ae35bgbf.net / 電子郵件.net), but someone else owns it in simplified Chinese (xn--5nqx41agiu29y.net / 电子邮件.net).

•••
tansks said:
I

陳.com
this one is mine....:)

•••
Oh really? You reg it years ago, before April 2004? p/s: is also your surname?

•••
tansks said:
Does similar idn already registered in Korean or Japanese will also cause fail to register in either Chinese simplified or traditional?
If they look the same, then I would think that the language in which it is first registered wins, barring the other languages, otherwise confusion would result.

For example, some IDN characters are shared between Chinese and Japanese kanji. Such characters in fact could cover both languages, a plus to the domain owner.

•••
tansks said:
Oh really? You reg it years ago, before April 2004? p/s: is also your surname?

I bought it from a friend last year......

yes...also my surname....:)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back