IT.COM

Chinese domain sales : Market volatility and short domains as an investment

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Arpit131

Top Member
Impact
China’s economy has been extremely volatile since the beginning of the year; numbers at the Chinese stock market are down 18%since their 52-week high, indicating the oncoming of a bear market.

As explained to us by a very important domain investor during NamesCon 2016, the LLLL .com market was specifically created by a group of fund managers in China, in order to leverage a millions-strong fund into intangible assets. It is an artificial market, unrelated to any real need or use for those domains, that are being traded as stocks. Domain investors looking to invest long term in these assets should be aware of the particulars of this artificial bubble.

Currently, short domain names such astwo letter and three letter .com domainsare in demand and retain their intrinsic value; beyond that, there is a certain spill-over effectthat has given 4,5 and even 6 character domains a trading value.

Domain Gang

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I think for 4L you can still find meanings for them so that end users can use the meanings to build related sites. Beyond 4L it's very challenging.

•••
Checking domain markets in a daily basis, I see that there is market for even nnll, llnn, nnnl, lnnn, nlll, llln dotcom domains. Although those are not going for $ five figures but I have seen going up to five figures. It's really hard to tell who are those buyers and what's the purpose of grabbing those domains.

•••
I see that there is market for even nnll, llnn, nnnl, lnnn, nlll, llln dotcom domains.
Very much agreed. Their beauty is in their shortness. If a global business can be built on, for example, WD40.com, then any of the 4C which makes sense and are easy to pronounce and remember should do well long term.

•••
Back