NameSilo

China will block .com's for a competive edge.

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
The above statement is just a prediction of mine. Blocking .com's for an unfair advantage over US company's would not be beyond them and it is definitely doable. Verisign does not even have a license to use or sell .com's in China, it was only tolerated. But that might change very soon (effective March 1, 2016)

Research MIIT, the Chinese government organization that regulates the internet and domain names in China. This has all been talked about for quite sometime, long before Google re-organized under abc.xyz (do some research for once). It was also well understood that .xyz and .club would be two of the first foreign registrars to get a license in China.

According to Daniel Negari, XYZ is the only U.S. registrar to apply for a license in China AND coordinate with ICANN about it. While a lot of .com loyalists have been bashing new GTLD's a lot of people have been in the background hand registering cheap domain names. A lot of large .COM portfolio holders already sold out and domain name news outlets are slowly easing on their criticism.

TheDomains was right, it will take an intense marketing campaign by at least 2 to 3 major brands. He mentions the Super Bowl as a good example and if you do some research, that is exactly what's happening.

ChrisRice.xyz

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
Negari admits he's not an authority on domain names like .com, but offers this example. As the official registries for the TLD .xyz, he explains that Chinese regulators have been threatening to block domain names from companies outside of China that do not appear on their list of approved TLDs, which could include ".com" or ".net," not words like "democracy" or "freedom," and he has been working with Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN) for the past nine months to get .xyz on the approved list.

"We have an application submitted with the Chinese government to have .xyz become one of the first new foreign registries approved to work within China," Negari says. He explains the company has about 500,000 new registrations in China. "All new TLDs operated outside of China such as .xyz cannot currently use these domains in the country."

http://www.mediapost.com/publicatio...gle-alphabet-china-and-xyz-domain-fiasco.html

This is one of the most important posts I made in this thread. I have read a lot of local and international news so I am not basing my perspective on a single post but this is a good one.

•••
The Internet’s Rapid Expansion in China

XR_010-213x300.jpg
The world’s largest Internet and technology companies are making great efforts to enter or re-enter the Chinese market since 2015, including some which previously left or faced censorship, namely Google and Facebook. In September, the CEOs of Facebook, Google, Amazon, Microsoft, and others met Xi Jinping in Seattle as his first stop in the United States before meeting Obama in Washington, DC. We view the market opportunity for Western and Eastern technology enterprises as increasingly positive in the Year of the Monkey.

The Internet is arguably one of the most opaque sectors in China and the presence of censorship aggravates most market entrants. What analysts and China Hands have termed “the Great Firewall” frustrates even the most seasoned experts and expats in China, but with the right mix of due diligence, aggressive engagement and nuanced analysis, profitable business in China’s Internet sector can be cracked by non-Chinese.

http://allegravita.com/2016/02/02/year-of-the-ram-in-review/

•••
What we are talking about is indeed a fight for Internet dominance (at least domestically).
This is not unique to China BTW. Russia, India, the UK and others are taking steps toward digital sovereignty, with many sinister implications. Some of the means are domain-related, but most are simply about Internet censorship in general. Which doesn't automatically call into question the merits of any particular TLD. China can censor .com on a case by case if needed. They do. They won't ban .com. What they are clearly doing is increasing the pressure on Chinese registrants of .com domains.

But to turn this into .xyz idolatry is just spin. Clearly an overpriced and overrated string :)
For your own good, stay away from domain fads like .xyz .io etc. Don't fall for the hype. And by the way, try to minimize your exposure to the Chinese market.

•••
What we are talking about is indeed a fight for Internet dominance (at least domestically).

You haven't read enough news articles about China. The Communist Party wants to project their power throughout the world, not just domestically. This is not an insult and I mean it in a polite way since I don't want to offend you or anyone else but you are ignorant about the ongoings in China and how their policies will effect the domain name industry. You are also unaware of China's unique position as the 2nd largest economy, and the years of planning behind Google's switch to Alphabet and abc.xyz.

•••
If you're telling us that Alphabet is using a .xyz in a bid to re-enter the Chinese market, then yes I would say it's BS. And a moot point anyway, they already have a .cn anyway.

•••
XR_010-213x300.jpg

Let's not forget the four million Chinese people that live in the US. hoping to develope ChineseStore.us for them:) .com would have been my first choice, then .net, then .us...hope to move up to .com someday. No offense but i personally wouldn't think of building a business on .xyz or .whatever.

Last edited:
•••
If you're telling us that Alphabet is using a .xyz in a bid to re-enter the Chinese market, then yes I would say it's BS. And a moot point anyway, they already have a .cn anyway.

Your belief that Alphabet chose a .xyz domain name for a shallow and short-sighted reason is BS, and the foundation of your thought process is based on the belief that .com's are and will always be the most valuable top-level domain.

FYI: Alphabet didn't choose a top-level domain for China (.cn) or the United States (.com), they chose a domain name that would be equally accepted in both countries (.xyz).

Your ability to misunderstand these things is astounding.

•••
I personally think this thread has more then served its purpose for now.

We are aware that the Chinese authorities are looking to make changes to the .com and .net verification space for whatever reasons that may be (possible reasons already stated). DNW reported this story very well IMO - http://domainnamewire.com/2015/12/03/china-to-enforce-real-name-verification-on-com-domain-names/

"At that time, domain name registrars in China will have to obtain Real Name Verification and Domain Name Verification for each newly-registered or transferred .com/.net domain name. They will also have to obtain this for existing domain names within 45 days after they auto renew."
etc.

They are not going to ban .com any time soon IMO, I don't believe that for a second, but we are aware that there are risks attached to investing in the chinese market due to potential interference from up top.

Invest at your own risk and don't spend what you can't afford to lose.

Time for me for one to move on now.

Last edited:
•••
Google choosed abc.xyz just because it represents their activity / work through a domain in a perfect symbolic way - it simply means 'from A to Z' and this domain is really a very very very cool domain - it's the best domain so far they can own for their company name 'alphabet', it's better than 'alphabet.com' (which belongs to BMW).
abc.xyz sounds way more comprehensive than alphabet.com. - so I don't think that a 'chinese market related background' was decisive for their choose.
If you own abc.xyz you own 'all domains' ;)

Last edited:
•••
My thoughts (don't matter, but here they are anyway)....
I have invested a little in .xyz. It wasn't because of the fear of .com getting banned. I don't think THAT will happen. It is because xyz has said specifically that they are trying to get approval in China. We will see what happens. My investment is less than $100 and I am prepared to lose it. I like xyz and I hope it does great, but I believe .com is the king and will be for at least 10-20 more years, maybe longer.

•••
the foundation of your thought process is based on the belief that .com's are and will always be the most valuable top-level domain.
This isn't what I said, what I'm saying is that .xyz is still garbage regardless of what happens in China.

Even if China was to ban .com (once again, not happening), China isn't the whole world. I was dabbling in domain names long before China came to the spotlight and I can manage without Chinese buyers. Can't say the same about everyone else :)

FYI: Alphabet didn't choose a top-level domain for China (.cn) or the United States (.com), they chose a domain name that would be equally accepted in both countries (.xyz).
<sigh>

But abc.xyz is not even a customer-facing site...

•••
<sigh>

But abc.xyz is not even a customer-facing site...

You base your decisions on trends but I am contrarian, I based my investments on a wide worldview including but not limited to the behavior and personality (metaphor) of Google, Facebook and the geopolitics of China. I have more evidence to back my claims but I don't think you are interested and it is time consuming to explain my positions. Most of the evidence I discovered is posted here but you are not good at putting 2 and 2 together.

Last edited:
•••
•••
Honestly, you are sounding delusional rather than contrarian. You would be surprised how much some people here know about China. They aren't going to ban .coms. Not in this lifetime.

Most of the evidence I discovered is posted here but you are not good at putting 2 and 2 together.

You are telling people that 2 and 2 equals 5, and that they are just too herd-like to get it. If you have an amazing insight that nobody else in the world has, then you will be rich. I don't know why you would want to convince others to jump in your boat and share in the wealth.

Unless you don't really believe it yourself, and you are just pumping the market.

•••
You are telling people that 2 and 2 equals 5, and that they are just too herd-like to get it. If you have an amazing insight that nobody else in the world has, then you will be rich. I don't know why you would want to convince others to jump in your boat and share in the wealth.

Unless you don't really believe it yourself, and you are just pumping the market.

Time will tell who is right and wrong but it is safe to say that I have less to lose and more to gain than most of the .com Name Pros on this message board. Some of you are actively encouraging people to invest thousands of dollars into a single .com domain name at the highest price peak in history ('herd-like'), even in the face of .com idols like TheDomains selling their entire .com portfolio (he is now a consultant at RightSide).

If I am right I will be rewarded handsomely. If I am wrong I will lose face and not make any money. I am not a genie so nothing is certain but I am confident enough to post this publicly with my real identity. And if I am right I will also be happy to be connected to some of the people who 'shared in my wealth'.

Btw, I am not the 'only one in the world' with this insight. But I am one of the only people who posted this publicly. The only other sources with similar information that I found online is Daniel Negari, Allegravita and 8.xyz.

•••
From my .top view domaining is relaxing.

•••
Time will tell who is right and wrong but it is safe to say that I have less to lose and more to gain than most of the .com Name Pros on this message board.
I have bought zero .xyz or other hyped up extensions, so I have nothing to lose.
Those trashing .com are usually those who missed the boat and lack the strength to catch up. Then they'll come up with plenty of excuses to validate their shaky alternate investment plans.
OK, maybe my .com investment will soon be trash, but isn't it more likely that .xyz will soon be relegated to history like its siblings .mobi .asia .tel etc ?

Some of you are actively encouraging people to invest thousands of dollars into a single .com domain name at the highest price peak in history ('herd-like'),
It takes money to make money. Should we be scavenging for .xyz leftovers ? Should we buy LLLL.com chips now at price peak ? Isn't it herd-like behavior to invest in .xyz just because there is one (yes, very prominent) end user using one for a website that hardly anybody visits or cares about ? Remember what people were saying when .co and .mobi domains were used by end users. Fads come and go.
So many people are falling for the hype, not just among domainers. Stay away from domain fads or your wallet will ultimately suffer :)

even in the face of .com idols like TheDomains selling their entire .com portfolio (he is now a consultant at RightSide).
He sold his portfolio for personal reasons, and because he got a once in a lifetime offer. That was the right thing to do, and I would have done just the same because it completely makes sense from a business POV. Do you really think he has lost faith in .com ? Ask him...
He bought new extensions too, and didn't have such a good experience especially with the renewals.
PS: you probably mean RightoftheDot, not RightSide.
Sure, his company is selling new extensions to ordinary people, just like Frank Schilling. They are at the top of the food chain, while domainers are at the bottom (ponder this ;)).

If I am right I will be rewarded handsomely. If I am wrong I will lose face and not make any money.
Arguing that .xyz is the dotcom killer because of China - that is a stretch. It looks somewhat desperate. I've been making money on .com for more than a decade, long before there were any Chinese buyers. If your future solely depends on the mood of the communist party, I'd slightly worried.
I hope you didn't buy too many .xyz. Fortunately you are not my investment advisor :)
I'm just wondering if you are investing in .top, .cn or .wang too ?

•••
Arguing that .xyz is the dotcom killer because of China - that is a stretch.

The Communist Party of China is the real dotcom killer but .XYZ will benefit the most. The MIIT regulations in China were published years in advance it's just that they were not enforced until now - March 1, 2016. Verisign doesn't have a license. In some of their recent filings it even indicates that they haven't even applied yet (read between the lines).

Google's relation with XYZ goes a few years back before the ABC.XYZ announcement. Daniel Negari bought .CAR from Google and I suspect it was under a non-cash agreement or something similar (was Google in need of cash at the time?)

"
In addition, the Chinese Ministry of Industry and Information Technology (MIIT) announced that domain name registrars in China would be forbidden from selling domain names in top-level domains (TLDs) not approved by the Chinese government. Registries and registrars will also be required to have a physical presence in China to comply with the regulation. These actions resonated throughout the Internet as a whole. Radio Free Asia reported that the US-based domain-name registry XYZ.com agreed to ban domain names based on the 12,000 words banned by the Chinese government. In so doing, the firm and the Chinese government undermine freedom of expression in both the United States and China while making it harder for Beijing-based activists to transcend China’s Great Firewall (Radio Free Asia 2015).5

Governments are not only attempting to nurture local competitors, disadvantage foreign ones and regulate the Internet within their borders but also acting to protect their constituents from perceived harm."

https://www.cigionline.org/sites/default/files/gcig_no25_web_0.pdf

You can keep debating with me tic for tat but I did my research and hold a Royal Flush. The herd hasn't even started yet and all of my domains were hand-regged (rock-bottom price). If I sell my entire portfolio for $20.00 per domain I get 10x the money I invested. I think the odds of me making 10x my money in one swoop is much higher than you doubling your money on your investments, especially if you were one of the 'investors' who bought in the recent highs.

How could any TLD be labeled King if it cannot even be used in the World's 2nd largest economy?

Last edited:
•••
The Communist Party of China is the real dotcom killer but .XYZ will benefit the most. The MIIT regulations in China were published years in advance it's just that they were not enforced until now - March 1, 2016.

While executives surveyed by the USITC described Algeria, China and Nigeria as the countries where they faced the highest barriers to digital trade, policy makers are most concerned about China (USITC 2014, 24). China has the world’s largest Internet market, with 632 million users, and it will continue to grow rapidly (McKinsey Global Institute 2014). These officials state that China uses a wide variety of protectionist strategies, including discriminatory regulatory processes, informal bans on entry and expansion, overly burdensome licensing and operating requirements and other means to frustrate efforts of US suppliers of banking, insurance, telecommunications and Internet-related services such as electronic payment services.

https://www.cigionline.org/sites/default/files/gcig_no25_web_0.pdf

•••
You would be surprised how much some people here know about China.

Obviously not enough. All of the recent articles I posted here were just released and many of their opinions mirror the ideas I shared with you. Take it or leave it but don't shoot the messenger.

•••
Obviously not enough. All of the recent articles I posted here were just released and many of their opinions mirror the ideas I shared with you. Take it or leave it but don't shoot the messenger.

You make valid points although i admit I haven't read the entire thread. I too have read some publications about this and I'm just not sure how it will play out. If there wasn't some substance behind China enforcing the rule I don't see why xyz, top and others would be jumping through hoops to be approved and in full compliance.

There must be a benefit for those who comply, just not sure how it will affect those who don't. Time will tell as does with anything..

•••
There must be a benefit for those who comply, just not sure how it will affect those who don't. Time will tell as does with anything..

The writing is on the wall as it has already been spelled out in blunt terms by the Chinese government. But the Name Pros base their decisions on current prices and trends rather than due diligence.

Price is what you pay, value is what you get (Warren Buffet) and as it stands, the long-term trajectory in terms of percentage gain for .XYZ looks much better than .COM unless you can get a remarkable deal in dotcom.

•••
link/title bait = deceptiveness

•••
If this was somehow true and .com gets banned, imagine the immediate rush to .xyz. They have their China business license and working to get MIIT approved.
Personally, I don't see .com getting banned, but will be watching closely.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back