IT.COM

China will block .com's for a competive edge.

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
The above statement is just a prediction of mine. Blocking .com's for an unfair advantage over US company's would not be beyond them and it is definitely doable. Verisign does not even have a license to use or sell .com's in China, it was only tolerated. But that might change very soon (effective March 1, 2016)

Research MIIT, the Chinese government organization that regulates the internet and domain names in China. This has all been talked about for quite sometime, long before Google re-organized under abc.xyz (do some research for once). It was also well understood that .xyz and .club would be two of the first foreign registrars to get a license in China.

According to Daniel Negari, XYZ is the only U.S. registrar to apply for a license in China AND coordinate with ICANN about it. While a lot of .com loyalists have been bashing new GTLD's a lot of people have been in the background hand registering cheap domain names. A lot of large .COM portfolio holders already sold out and domain name news outlets are slowly easing on their criticism.

TheDomains was right, it will take an intense marketing campaign by at least 2 to 3 major brands. He mentions the Super Bowl as a good example and if you do some research, that is exactly what's happening.

ChrisRice.xyz

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
.com is 1 syllable .xyz is 3, just sayin.

•••
Sounds impossible. They cannot do it for any reason unless the government is dominated by fools.

•••
•••
.XYZ Says They Just “Blew Past” 2 Million Domain Registrations

FEBRUARY 6, 2016 BY MICHAEL BERKENS 1 COMMENT

Daniel Negari the CEO of the .XYZ registry just sent me over a note that the new gTLD .XYZ has “blew past 2 Million domain name registrations”.

According to ntldstats.com .XYZ was sitting at 1,967,963 domain registrations as of the last zone update, however there has been a huge surge in 6 number .XYZ domain names from China (NNNNNN.xyz) (also known as 6N domains) of over 100,000 domain registrations.

According to XYZ 27% of all 6N domain name combinations are now registered.

100% of all possible 5N and 4N .XYZ domain names are registered.

.XYZ has more domain registrations than any new gTLD and over 16% of all new gTLD registrations according to ntldstats.com

•••
Another slight issue for domainers with Verisign's .com is that it is sometimes broken into country codes: .com.ph

Priority Access Program for Verisign's First IDN New gTLD, .コム
http://www.circleid.com/posts/20160202_priority_access_program_for_verisigns_first_idn_new_gtld

I believe Verisign will use a Chinese IDN version of .com for China, if they are allowed to (not .com). I believe this will be their strategy going forward since dotcom will probably get blocked in China. It's better than nothing and would help them save face. It would still be pronounced the same so that would help.

•••
•••
To sum up the situation looks like this:

Chinese will be able to continue buying domain names from foreign registrars (what they are already doing). However they won't be able to get an ICP license, which is required to host a website within China proper. This is the core issue (along with compliance requirements: real name verification).
They could still host their sites 'offshore', however that isn't ideal.
They can continue to buy .com domains and speculate.
Likewise, Chinese registrars could in theory continue to sell .com to their international clientele, but not domestically.

A number of sources are suggesting existing registrations would be grandfathered. But the Chinese govt is whimsical and unpredictable right.
A lot of Chinese companies are using .com domains and would be hugely penalized in their trade efforts
Imagine if Alibaba.com becomes illegal. It's hard to imagine they won't find a way around this.

PS: apparently those Chinese buyers stocking up on short .com domains haven't got the memo from the MIIT ?

•••
Bit of a strange conspiracy theory thread imo. The only people who would benefit from a .com block, with xyz in it's place, would be Negari and large xyz portfolio owners.

Neither of these would have enough influence to effect this change. Their lobbying power pales in to insignificance when compared to that of Chinese .com stakeholders.

•••
The only people who would benefit from a .com block, with xyz in it's place, would be Negari and large xyz portfolio owners.

That's not true. Daniel Negari agreed to give ZDNS thirty percent of each .XYZ domain that sells. That would amount to a lot of money if XYZ replaces Verisign.

•••
PS: apparently those Chinese buyers stocking up on short .com domains haven't got the memo from the MIIT ?

I am a little puzzled about that too.

•••
That's not true. Daniel Negari agreed to give ZDNS thirty percent of each .XYZ domain that sells. That would amount to a lot of money if XYZ replaces Verisign.

.XYZ is also more aligned with China's oversight and censorship policies. This doesn't make sense to a lot of you but their policies on censorship are more important to them than just about anything else when it comes to the Internet.

•••
.XYZ is also more aligned with China's oversight and censorship policies. This doesn't make sense to a lot of you but their policies on censorship are more important to them than just about anything else when it comes to the Internet.

It doesn't matter how they cut the xyz cake and that 30% still only makes one more motivated xyz promoter.

Whilst the Chinese government do censor there's just no way they would do it at such a cost to the economy. There's gonna be too much internal pressure against them blocking .com, from some very powerful people.

The costs by far outweigh the benefits.

•••
Whilst the Chinese government do censor there's just no way they would do it at such a cost to the economy.

Chinese officials will do anything at almost any cost to ensure that the Communist Party remains the official and only legitimate party in China. Their economy is already tanking and is in for a hard-landing (despite what analysts say) and increased censorship, control and distractions are some of their only tools left.

Blocking .COM could harm the Chinese economy but it would hurt the United States much more and leave China with a stronger hand (especially if they registered strategic domain names before everyone else). In addition to that it would boost morale since their citizens would witness the true strength and influence of China. Alphabet is fully on board and ready to lead the shift in the United States.

March 1, 2016

•••
.com is 1 syllable .xyz is 3, just sayin.

who cares how many syllables as long as nothing too much like 7+... did you know in Chinese one syllable is equal to one word? people/ads pronounce "w w w" on the radio, which totals 9 syllables instead of choosing to say "dub dub dub" (3 syllables) because dub dub dub just sounds stupid. "w w w" is recognized as the starting of a address accessible via the web and easily pronounced with speed on radio ads. so point in case is that syllables in extensions aren't really concerning as long as they are not extreme 7+ syllable words.

moral: people voting .com over other extensions based on syllables are just ridiculous.

Last edited:
•••
•••
•••
who cares how many syllables as long as nothing too much like 7+... did you know in Chinese one syllable is equal to one word? people/ads pronounce "w w w" on the radio, which totals 9 syllables instead of choosing to say "dub dub dub" (3 syllables) because dub dub dub just sounds stupid. "w w w" is recognized as the starting of a address accessible via the web and easily pronounced with speed on radio ads. so point in case is that syllables in extensions aren't really concerning as long as they are not extreme 7+ syllable words.

moral: people voting .com over other extensions based on syllables are just ridiculous.
Btw dot com doesn't need to use the www anymore because of familiarity. New gtlds definetely have to. Do you really think people are voting .com over other gTLDs just because the amount syllables?
There are many reasons why .com is the Alpha of tlds! I'm not saying you won't make money in China just saying you probably won't make much elsewhere.

•••
XYZ proponents should be candid and say "hey we got a great relationship with China and we are positioning ourselves as a major gTLD to be used by the chinese,..." new gTLD proponents need to stop with the .com comparisons and focus on explaining what and how people can benefit and what makes you unique. Someday soon if not already new gtlds will find their biggest competition is other new gtlds and will start attacking each other. I sincerely believe that Comparing new gTLDs with.com is like comparing a grape with a watermelon, an ant with an elephant, A snowflake with the sky...:)

•••
I am more in the view with the way this conversation has developed now, so I'll contribute a couple crumbs:)

It may have been mentioned, but Verizon is allowing the owners of IDN.COM to register the name in .点看(com iteration) with priority. So there's that to think about. I am a huge proponent of IDN.IDN, and think the biggest gains in domains are to be made here. I tell you this reluctantly, because right now, it is like a big secret, the money tree. I have been laughed at over and over, but it always happens to me when I'm so right. I am not the only one that has an idea/sees the future that get's laughed out of the room, it is a timeless reality.

I am so sure that they will migrate to idn.idn that even them banning .com is a non issue, it will happen naturally.

•••
I am more in the view with the way this conversation has developed now, so I'll contribute a couple crumbs:)

It may have been mentioned, but Verizon is allowing the owners of IDN.COM to register the name in .点看(com iteration) with priority. So there's that to think about. I am a huge proponent of IDN.IDN, and think the biggest gains in domains are to be made here. I tell you this reluctantly, because right now, it is like a big secret, the money tree. I have been laughed at over and over, but it always happens to me when I'm so right. I am not the only one that has an idea/sees the future that get's laughed out of the room, it is a timeless reality.

I am so sure that they will migrate to idn.idn that even them banning .com is a non issue, it will happen naturally.

I half agree because I'm still torn between idn.idn and idn.com. But I totaly agree one of them will be big.

•••
There was a 10,000 .xyz registration spike the day Google announced abc.xyz

But there were over 200,000 .xyz domain names registered this weekend.

What happened?

•••
There was a 10,000 .xyz registration spike the day Google announced abc.xyz

But there were over 200,000 .xyz domain names registered this weekend.

What happened?

0.99 cents at GoDaddy. Practically giving them away. What's happening with sales? It's funny, apparently you have more insight than the thousands of Chinese buying up .coms. Those reg numbers aren't putting any money into your pocket, if anything, could be devaluing anything you've bought to this point with those low prices.

Last edited:
•••
The above statement is just a prediction of mine. Blocking .com's for an unfair advantage over US company's would not be beyond them and it is definitely doable. Verisign does not even have a license to use or sell .com's in China, it was only tolerated. But that might change very soon (effective March 1, 2016)

Research MIIT, the Chinese government organization that regulates the internet and domain names in China. This has all been talked about for quite sometime, long before Google re-organized under abc.xyz (do some research for once). It was also well understood that .xyz and .club would be two of the first foreign registrars to get a license in China.

According to Daniel Negari, XYZ is the only U.S. registrar to apply for a license in China AND coordinate with ICANN about it. While a lot of .com loyalists have been bashing new GTLD's a lot of people have been in the background hand registering cheap domain names. A lot of large .COM portfolio holders already sold out and domain name news outlets are slowly easing on their criticism.

TheDomains was right, it will take an intense marketing campaign by at least 2 to 3 major brands. He mentions the Super Bowl as a good example and if you do some research, that is exactly what's happening.

ChrisRice.xyz

My friend, you are on KOOL-AID! You know what I mean. Dotcom = DotKing
Go check the stats, Chinese buyers are overtly and covertly buying dotcom domains.
Peace!

•••
0.99 cents at GoDaddy. Practically giving them away. What's happening with sales? It's funny, apparently you have more insight than the thousands of Chinese buying up .coms. Those reg numbers aren't putting any money into your pocket, if anything, could be devaluing anything you've bought to this point with those low prices.
Is .info having the same jump in sales? I believe they have (or had) a .99 promo as well. At some point, with the population numbers of China and India, "good" .com will be used up and expensive. Other tlds will likely get a price increase when they see that premium domains are available. That's my opinion, of course. If you can afford .com, get it. I believe it will be king for a while. But, don't forget about the little brothers. They may grow up to be powerful as well.

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back