IT.COM

Cellphones.com sells for 4.2 Million! WOW!!!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

SKG

Established Member
Impact
"In the most extensive mainstream press article ever written about the domain business, Business 2.0 magazine said CellPhones.com is under contract for $4.2 million. Current owner Michael Bahlitzanakis, who is featured in the article, confirmed that to us, but the deal is not yet complete." Take from the dnjournal.

What a great sale!!!!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
oh my god, its a lot of money for a domain. ;)

•••
•••
another big player, hope someday I get enough budget to run something huge.

•••
oh my god, its a lot of money for a domain.
why to be so surprised.It is not just a Domain Name, it is a definition, that represent the core of a big business.
Imagine the company who is going to aquire this DN would have no knowledge about that name and they would call their site txzrg.com instead.

Now just try to figure out how much effort , time and money they would spend to make a so large audience to know they are instead something else.... wow that's hard.

How much worth the words Coca-cola?

I am happy for this high value for such name because it is another of the infinite confirmation I am having about my theories on the future of the Internet markets and particularly in the DN .
IMHO in the future the Domain Names that define the core of the business of a website will have the highest value on the market.

That represent the philosophy upon I build my Domain Names, if you think the same or you are just curious to learn more about the subject worth a visit to my website.

(I hope this is not out of the rules, if yes pleasejust let me know and I will cancell these lines.)

Last edited:
•••
That's a lot of money for a domain name. The seller must be flying in sky after such a big deal. Great for domain industry

•••
HOLY JESUS, that is a lot of money for a domain name. I agree with you, genialnames, but I don't think many names are worth THAT much....

•••
Just as above, I agree with aznchong and genialman, very good point made there. A domain worthin 4.2 million, just how much are things worth these days?

•••
but I don't think many names are worth THAT much..
Luckely it is not.
It is a lottery like system too, it depends by the needs and the money of the buyer.
It doesn't happen only in the DN industry but also for lands and in the arts for istance.

this is a funny story too:
I live near a place that it is called Emerald coast here in Sardinia
and it is known because it is frequented mostly by the richest persons in the world (Bill Gates inclded that was contestated last year here because to have tried to make a party illegally (curious he?)on a protected beach,
Well actually 1 square meter here is quoted over 20.000$ or even more.
30 years ago moreless, the man who owned ALL the land , a lot like 800.000 square meters if I am not wrong, sold the whole thing for "merely" 500.000 $ , It is in the legend he asked explicitly to have many thousend millions instead few billions!

Last edited:
•••
•••
outstanding sale!! Some very nice sales,Click -db- link above and see em at DNJournal.A great week for domainers.

•••
Worth every penny to the buyer.. nice price for the seller!

•••
hmm, I'm not sure how or what can be done to get these kind of claims audited. The domain industry is not policed and therefore runs the risk of having people making claims about anything so long as two or more 'parties' agree to collude to do this and no one is the wiser.

For example, I could claim that I got paid $8.3m for a name (the 0.3m to make the figure look a little more 'credible') and unless there is a credible independent third party and accounting firm to legalise and verify such large sales, everything could be just smoke and mirrors and nobody will ever be wiser just because it was reported by some 'credible' source or some so-called credible domain players.

Benefit? The 'buyer' gets to say they paid $8.3m for my name and therefore future resale value should be equal to or more than this, and the 'seller' (me) gets to say I got $8.3m for one of my names, and therefore my portfolio which comprises similar names is worth $800m.

I'm not saying that this is the case here, but I find this aspect of the domain industry wide open to manipulation and Enron scams.

•••
or simply a transaction between coluding parties with no money changing hands in order to drive up traffic for the name for the next year or so.

How many of you have looked at cellphones.com ?

•••
or simply a transaction between coluding parties with no money changing hands in order to drive up traffic for the name for the next year or so.
good question.
I did.
:(
:hehe:
To say unprofessional would say nothing enough.

Just read their slogan

Talk low, talk slow, and don't talk too much.

Seem to see... you know these joke sites where you find such odd sign saying "The bar is closed because it is not open"...

I can't stop laugh

After have spent 4.2 mil$ I think I would have spent also some$$$ to hire a good designer at least.

thanks for the comment
rep added to you.

Last edited:
•••
Wow, that is ONE HELL of a bad site, especially for one that costed 4.2 million. :hehe:

•••
4.2 Million is alot though. Just think he regged that for $7.85 and sold it for millions! what a profit.

•••
aznchong91 said:
Wow, that is ONE HELL of a bad site, especially for one that costed 4.2 million. :hehe:

That's just a temporary landing page... not the web site.

mole said:
hmm, I'm not sure how or what can be done to get these kind of claims audited. The domain industry is not policed and therefore runs the risk of having people making claims about anything so long as two or more 'parties' agree to collude to do this and no one is the wiser.

For example, I could claim that I got paid $8.3m for a name (the 0.3m to make the figure look a little more 'credible') and unless there is a credible independent third party and accounting firm to legalise and verify such large sales, everything could be just smoke and mirrors and nobody will ever be wiser just because it was reported by some 'credible' source or some so-called credible domain players.

Benefit? The 'buyer' gets to say they paid $8.3m for my name and therefore future resale value should be equal to or more than this, and the 'seller' (me) gets to say I got $8.3m for one of my names, and therefore my portfolio which comprises similar names is worth $800m.

I'm not saying that this is the case here, but I find this aspect of the domain industry wide open to manipulation and Enron scams.

Not to mention the publicity and traffic generated in the interim.

•••
Genialnames said:
Talk low, talk slow, and don't talk too much

Yeah, I was a bit taken aback when I hit the site today and saw the slogan, must be a coded message not to spill the beans.

•••
Michael Bahlitzanakis
This guy is from Greece, Crete(where I live), I can understand it from the name!
Cool sale, cool guy!

•••
monRa said:
This guy is from Greece, Crete(where I live), I can understand it from the name!
Cool sale, cool guy!

WOW - Lucky man ! a great name that will generate a fortune for the new owners when fully developed for many years to come.

Freecellphones(dot)com went for about $60,000 recently at snapnames, also a great name with potential IMO

•••
that will generate a fortune for the new owners when fully developed for many years to come.
Maybe the buer will be a big company like Nokia, Sony, Philips...

•••
gazzip said:
WOW - Lucky man ! a great name that will generate a fortune for the new owners when fully developed for many years to come.

Some people still think that a great name is an instant ticket to success or mindshare ala pets.com all over again.

Development that leads to mid-long success is very hard and risky - achievable, sustainable competitive advantage on the web is dog eat dog plus the dog's breakfast and vomit. Here this month, gone in 6.

Which is why domainers generally like to register or buy names, sit on them, and dream...

•••
mole said:
Some people still think that a great name is an instant ticket to success or mindshare ala pets.com all over again.

Development that leads to mid-long success is very hard and risky - achievable, sustainable competitive advantage on the web is dog eat dog plus the dog's breakfast and vomit. Here this month, gone in 6.

Which is why domainers generally like to register or buy names, sit on them, and dream...

Agreed :) , a great name is not an instant ticket to success although with overture results (yes - just a guide :) ) of 2104 for cellphones.com it's an excellent place to start ! - the new buyer has obviously got the money to make this name work to their advantage - whether or not they do of course remains to be seen. It will be interesting to see if it's one of the big phone brands that are buying it to steer extra traffic to their existing products ?

Any guesses who's buying it ?

•••
that is amazing. imagine what else you could buy with 4.2 million though.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back