NameSilo

.mobi Cellphone Browser Defaults for .mobi ???

Namecheap AuctionsNamecheap Auctions
SpaceshipSpaceship
Spacemail by SpaceshipSpacemail by Spaceship
Watch

nombre

Established Member
Impact
16
to me, one of the main values of .mobi will be browser defaults

if you type in flowers and it defaults to flowers.mobi then the guy who owns flowers.com is not too happy

if it defaults to flowers.com, different story for everyone

can anyone point me to the information/data that definitely says cellphone browsers from nokia, msft, all the major players will default to .mobi

i assume they will ..... otherwise .... anyone can make any .tld extension into a mobile site and the value will shift to the shortest type-in names
 
Last edited:
1
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
GoDaddyGoDaddy
Who did you hear this from?

I would really like to know because if this is true the value of my Mobi names just skyrocketed.
thinking1 ... right ... this is why i am making so many posts about this issue ...... browser default is f^^%$^ critical to .mobi ....if phone browsers are set to default to .mobi then everyone on this forum is making a lot more money ...if they are not set to default to .mobi then things are a little more tricky as far as our investments
 
0
•••
nombre said:
thinking1 ... right ... this is why i am making so many posts about this issue ...... browser default is f^^%$^ critical to .mobi ....if phone browsers are set to default to .mobi then everyone on this forum is making a lot more money ...if they are not set to default to .mobi then things are a little more tricky as far as our investments

True, browser defaulting to MOBI would be fantastic. But it isn't necessary to the success of the extension. As long as people know when they type in .mobi into their cell phones that a website will be there then they are golden.

For instance, my computer HP computer at home doesn't default to anything. It gives me an error page if I don't add an extension. But, I know if I want to go to a valid website I must add a .com to whatever I'm typing in (or just use a search engine).

So defaulting to mobi isn't necessary, but I REALLY HOPE IT HAPPENS!!!! Because it will definitely be the quickest and easiest way for MOBI to be successful.
 
0
•••
0
•••
0
•••
Is it a catch-22 that people are waiting for .MOBI to be a cellphone default before wanting to invest and develop in .MOBI?

There won't be a .MOBI default until there are enough good .MOBI sites to make it worthwhile. mTLD doesn't give a timeline for this, but I'm guessing at least 2 years before we see anything like that.

In the meantime, more likely is a .MOBI-only search engine or directory, similar to what www.kids.us is for that TLD.
 
0
•••
i heard it from a key account exec at godaddy, so like i said i dont know if it is a rumor or not, perhaps you can go to a cingular store and check the web address and see if it defaults to mobi.
 
0
•••
yoyosean said:
i heard it from a key account exec at godaddy, so like i said i dont know if it is a rumor or not, perhaps you can go to a cingular store and check the web address and see if it defaults to mobi.

Those Godaddy reps. I think we know more than them here at the board. I have to get a new cingular phone soon so I will definitely be playing with all of the phones.
 
0
•••
Regarding the .mobi extension being default or not, I found the old transcript of the chat with pinky.
Take a look :

http://www.namepros.com/dot-mobi/26...nd-dotmobi.html

Mejcdj
Mejcdj .... great link

That touched up on it but it basically left us with no clear answer. MOBI is trying to make the mobi extension a default for cellular browsers but there is no word yet on it if has succeeded with having future phones default to it.
great point, the transcript of that chat reffered to 7 different phone browsers and 7 mobile os's, this makes for chaos

i posted in another thread that the president of opera doesn't like the .mobi domain one damn bit and i bet he won't be defaulting to .mobi in his browser so any phone company that uses his browser in their phones may end up with a default to .com and the .com sites might just do their mobile site with a .com extension using technology to determine what kind of device is calling their page and then send the user to the appropriate mobile page which will completely conform to all the .mobi standards (xhtml,folders etc) but will NOT be a .mobi site ... if that happens a lot then the user will not always be going to .mobi sites to get his web content and .mobi will suffer as a brand

in other words, if i had a nice .com website and i suddenly decided to get into the mobile webspace arena, i can either seek out a whole new .mobi name OR i can just use technology to detect browsers, keep my .com and just direct users to me my mobile site when i detect they are on a mobile phone

IF i want to do that and i find out that phone browsers default to .mobi i would be more inclined to go out and get the .mobi name

does this make sense?

http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=31507 newton posted this link a few posts back ... it has the following quote in it
Edwards also claimed that consumers won't necessarily have to key in the actual characters - .mobi - when visiting a site. That's because browsers from Access, Nokia and Openwave will automatically default to assuming that the user wants the .mobi domain, not the .com site.
bingo, there it is ... so at least 3 browsers will default to .mobi, if the rest get on board then .mobi will be a lot stronger

does anyone have any data on cellphone browser installed base data ? like how many of whose browsers are on how many phones etc ??
 
0
•••
Realistically, I do not believe this will happen. In fact, I'm almost thinking it would be better if the phones didn't default to .mobi. Reason: Every porn operator or gambling outfit would buy up all the generic mobi's turning our property into wasteland....The spam alone would be off the charts. Before you respond to my post.... Think about it. It's exactly what would happen.

It's better to have a "robust" name-space then an all inclusive one. Dot mobi in my humble opinion will hold it's own once enough high profile sites get out there in the public forum. With the future allocations of dot mobi names (going to developers) it would seem .mobi's future is not dependant on defaulting, but rather these future premium dot mobi owners.
 
0
•••
thinking1 said:
That touched up on it but it basically left us with no clear answer. MOBI is trying to make the mobi extension a default for cellular browsers but there is no word yet on it if has succeeded with having future phones default to it.


Hi Thinking1.

Yes, I didn't mean for it to be an actual answer, but to let them know that we had already asked Pinky about this. I was at work and didn't have time to type much lol. I was sneaking in a post :hehe:

No one knows if they will make .mobi default yet, but IMO, if they don't push it (the backers) then they won't get the full value of their investment. So, my guess is that it is leaning towards a big yes. But, we will have to wait and see.

Mejcdj
 
0
•••
mejcdj said:
Hi Thinking1.

Yes, I didn't mean for it to be an actual answer, but to let them know that we had already asked Pinky about this. I was at work and didn't have time to type much lol. I was sneaking in a post :hehe:

No one knows if they will make .mobi default yet, but IMO, if they don't push it (the backers) then they won't get the full value of their investment. So, my guess is that it is leaning towards a big yes. But, we will have to wait and see.

Mejcdj

That's alright. I wish that was the answer. I still want us to retire off of MOBI. That way we won't have to sneak posts in (I was at work aswell when I posted), and our work will be MOBI.
 
0
•••
thinking1 said:
That's alright. I wish that was the answer. I still want us to retire off of MOBI. That way we won't have to sneak posts in (I was at work aswell when I posted), and our work will be MOBI.


I'll drink to that! :)

Mejcdj
 
0
•••
DomainEasy: white label portfolios are live. Enable yours.

We're social

Escrow.com
Spaceship
Escrowly
CryptoExchange.com
Domain Recover
Catchy
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back