IT.COM

.mobi .mobi predictions

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
This thred is for those of us (seems about 50% of namepros members) that have invested in .mobi to voice their predictions on this extension.

My predictions:

1. .mobi will not become the default when browsing on mobile phones. Why? because way too many great names from popular websites didn't reg their .mobi and they would cry foul. Believe me I want .mobi to be the default but the percentage of the most popular websites that have regged their .mobi is small enough that it would just be chaos for the user.

2. Google search will recognize the .mobi extension and give it precedence over the .com when mobile users choose to search from the "mobile web":
http://www.google.com/mobile/

3. The big players (nokia, samsung, google....) will wait a bit for .mobi sites to get developed and sometime next year will start to push the extension.

4. Some .mobi sites will become so popular that users will go to the .mobi on their home pc to view the sites. I say this only because while searching for .mobi names I came accross loads of parked pages with prime names. I have regged a few names that have over 1000 ovt with .com that are just parked.

5. The .mobi site will replace the .com in some instances (see .4)

So those are a few of my predictions, whats yours?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I quite agreed about the Chaos in a few years, but I believed mobile internet would finally takeover desktop internet in long run. Mobile users is much more than pc users and increasing.

In developing country such as here in Thailand, There're 20x mobile more than pc. And if mobile could fulfill everyday life task and entertainment, there would be a lot people feel they don't want to bother with pc. There're a lot less tech savvy in developing country than developed country, most use their pc for internet,email,word and games. If mobiles have change it design to done thes task, it would be winner in developing country.

And another benefit of mobile, seller have more info and better communication about their customer. I think mobile web would definitely be 2 way communication, sell ,help and support could be real-time.

You would wonder if you know that a lot of people here don't know how to use pc, but know everything about their mobile phones. :hehe:

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back