Dynadot

ccTLD Domain Statistics

NameSilo
Watch
Impact
I've posted the domain name statistics for 54 ccTLDs over 2008 on www.hosterstats.com/DomainNameCounts2008.php - while it is far from complete, it does cover the statistics of some of the super ccTLDs such as .de, .nl and .cn and .uk. I've also requested some statistics from other registries.

Without domain tasting, .com is being equaled and in some cases eclipsed by the cumulative ccTLD growth. I'm going to do some comparisons of ccTLD growth and gTLD growth.

Regards...jmcc

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Repped, would be nice if you can get .in into the mix too :)

•••
aceeca said:
Repped, would be nice if you can get .in into the mix too :)
Thanks. I've requested the .in figures from the registry. Hopefully they will provide them.

Regards...jmcc

•••
Repped as well. Nice stats.

Would be great if you could graph some of the major TLDs to give a visual take on growth. Great data!

•••
netfleet said:
Repped as well. Nice stats.

Would be great if you could graph some of the major TLDs to give a visual take on growth. Great data!
I've been working on a graph to show the ccTLD growth versus the gTLD growth. I use the first of the month as the reference date for the gTLDs. Some of the ccTLD stats also publish stats for the first of the month. The majority of the ones quoted are for the last day on each month. I'll have to nudge them by a day to synchronise but it might be an interesting graph. (Just writing the SQL for it at the moment.)

Regards...jmcc

•••
•••
800ml said:
How about .ca ?

Cira.ca
I've requested the stats from Cira.ca. I'll start tracking .ca from the end of this month anyway.

Just added .is and .at stats.

Regards...jmcc

Last edited:
•••
If you ever get access would be great to get info by each domain type -

.in
.co.in
.net.in
.org.in

Thanks

•••
•••
EG.domains said:
How about .cc ?
I'll request stats from Verisign. They seem to be handling it at the moment.

Nothing yet on .ca - Cira.ca has not replied yet.

Regards...jmcc

•••
•••
Is there someway to confirm the actual numbers of Dot Asia?
Because dot .me has about 3,000 names which went to auction because of multiple applications. And it has over 100,000 registrations to date.

Dot Asia has 54,000 names which went to auction and you're saying that dot Asia has only 200,000 names to date?

It doesn't make sense, because dot Asia according to dotasia.org say that since go live it has about 10,000 registrations/day and after that it was 2,000-4,000 per day. I think your stats on dot Asia are not right at all.

Can you confirm with registrar or the icann people?

Could you also confirm the same method will work on all extensions. Like using whichever method it is you have to check on dot me, dot com, dot net etc., because those stats are verified by the registrar. If your method is correct it should work for all extensions. However if it is not correct, I think you should update it.

For example, what does your method say about the dot me registration total?

Last edited:
•••
thanks for sharing, great stats.

•••
Nice work jmcc. Would you please add .me into it?

•••
tech4 said:
Is there someway to confirm the actual numbers of Dot Asia?
Because dot .me has about 3,000 names which went to auction because of multiple applications. And it has over 100,000 registrations to date.
Those are the numbers from the .asia zone file.

Dot Asia has 54,000 names which went to auction and you're saying that dot Asia has only 200,000 names to date?
As of 01/October/2008 .asia had 227746 domains in the zone. The next update will be for the 01/November/2008 data.

It doesn't make sense, because dot Asia according to dotasia.org say that since go live it has about 10,000 registrations/day and after that it was 2,000-4,000 per day.
Those are landrush statistics. And every landrush ends as you can see from the graph on http://www.hosterstats.com/Detailed-asia-Statistics-2008.php

The graph shows the numbers of new, deleted and transferred .asia domains. The number of .asia domains is listed in the table beneath it.

The huge spike in registrations at the start was the beginning of the landrush and then as the landrush phase ended, the numbers of new registrations per month began to drop to a fraction of the landrush figures. The .asia press release you are getting your figures from is this:

http://www.dotasia.org/pressreleases/DotAsia-PR-GoLive-2008-04-14_EN.pdf

That press release is dated 14/April/2008 and deals with the landrush. The figures quoted there show up in the stats. After that landrush, the numbers of new registrations fall off. It happens the same way in all new TLDs. Landrush registration figures do not continue forever.

I think your stats on dot Asia are not right at all.
I don't think that you understand what is happening with .asia or how landrush phases work.

Can you confirm with registrar or the icann people?
The .asia registry provides the zone file.

Could you also confirm the same method will work on all extensions.
If the registries for those extensions provide the zone file (that's the big list of all domains registered in that extension and their associated nameservers) the same method works. The only minor differences will be where a domain has no associated nameserver because it is in the deletion process or the registrars have not associated any nameservers with it for their own reasons.

Like using whichever method it is you have to check on dot me, dot com, dot net etc., because those stats are verified by the registrar.
The stats for .com/net/org/biz/info/mobi/asia are based on analysis of their respective zonefiles. The .me is a ccTLD and most ccTLDs do not release their zone file for analysis.

For example, what does your method say about the dot me registration total?
Nothing. That's simply because it is not currently tracking .me zone files.

Perhaps you were hoping that .asia would supplant .com as the domain of choice but the reality is that it has to compete with the ccTLDs in its region along with .com/net/org/biz/info/mobi. However the reality is that .asia has not even reached the anniversary of its landrush and it is not a .com killer. Most ccTLD extensions take years to develop. The .com has taken decades. The .asia gTLD is a regional extension and its market is that region and businesses that are doing business with that region. This type of regional TLD does not become an overnight success with millions of registrations. The growth in such an extension will be steady rather than dramatic. Comparing it with .eu ccTLD is not good. The .eu ccTLD was run by an incompetent registry and was, and still is, massively speculated. The .eu ccTLD is also not widely used and there is probably only around 400K genuine websites in the extension. From a domaining point of view, .asia sales are not going to be of the magitude of .com sales. As with any landrush, there will be some high value sales initially. But .asia has not really established any limits for domain sales yet.

Regards...jmcc

drjawed said:
Nice work jmcc. Would you please add .me into it?
Thanks drjawed, I'll request the figures from the .me registry.

Regards...jmcc

Last edited:
•••
As I said before some great stats.

Few requests please :)

1) Graphs for totals (so we can compare trends of various extensions at a glance)
2) Detail for the .AU extension he he
3) Table/graph to compare yearly stats
4) Figure at the end of each row depicting the average monthly (or total I guess) growth in registrations per extension

Well done though Some great info...

•••
netfleet said:
As I said before some great stats.

Few requests please :)
There goes my weekend. :)

1) Graphs for totals (so we can compare trends of various extensions at a glance)

I can probably merge the first of month and last day of month figures to provide a graph for .com/net/org/info/biz vs combined ccTLD and have individual trend graphs for the ccTLD data.

2) Detail for the .AU extension he he
The totals for .au are actually on the main table but they are based on the published figures.

3) Table/graph to compare yearly stats
I've been working on that with a scrollable graph. Some of the ccTLD stats are only available for 2008.

4) Figure at the end of each row depicting the average monthly (or total I guess) growth in registrations per extension
Total growth would be easier especially where there is domain tasting in an extension.

Well done though Some great info...
Thanks. The stats for individual hosters will be going on the site next month.

Regards...jmcc

•••
Cool stats, thanks jmcc.

Im still waiting on .ca and .cc as was already mentioned.
Would also like to request .tv and .ws

•••
Timewarp said:
Cool stats, thanks jmcc.

Im still waiting on .ca and .cc as was already mentioned.
Would also like to request .tv and .ws
I've added .ca and it will be tracking .ca each month from now on. The only other stats for .ca are annual numbers as Cira won't supply monthly domain counts. The .it and .pl counts will also be added from today onwards.

The .in registry can't supply monthly figures. As soon as I have any info on cc/tv/ws, I'll post the details.

Regards...jmcc

•••
jmcc said:
The .in registry can't supply monthly figures.

Regards...jmcc

Thanks for trying.

•••
Just heard back about .cc - no stats or zone file access are available.

Regards...jmcc

•••
I often wonder why some registries decline to provide stats... ;)

•••
JMCC, according to Dot Asia went live started on March 26, 2008. March ends in the 31. 26,27,28,29,30, and 31. Dot Asia specifically said that during the first five days of go live, "10,000" new registrations per day.

According to YOUR zone file Analysis to total march count was 17865 names. Which contradicts the press release. But you did say that the zone files were provided by the registry dot asia?

According to icann's website for contractual purposes, they are not allowed to provide information to the public and the last 3 months are withheld. http://www.icann.org/en/tlds/monthly-reports/

Are you using Icann's info or did you somehow retrieved the zone files from dot asia. Because its contradicting the 10,000 new registration per day. According to your stats, in March 17,860/6=3000 registrations per day? the registry said its 10,000.

"An average of over 10,000 new .Asia domains were successfully
registered daily for the first five days upon opening of the first-come-first-served phase (Go Live)" from http://www.dotasia.org/pressreleases/DotAsia-PR-GoLive-2008-04-14_EN.pdf

Your calculations are much lowered than the press release. I question where you are basing your zone files on. And if dot me actually does not provide zone file access. Using the press release, I can calcuate that is over 50,000 new registration in march alone. Your calculation states that there were only 17,860 in march.

Please take a look at the press release carefully. "10,000 new domains successsfuly registred daily"....Not applications, but new domains.

Last edited:
•••
tech4 - there's more than one way to skin the cat.

And I wouldn't dare to question jmcc's sources :D

But then, maybe he can provide a more detailed answer.

•••
tech4 said:
JMCC, according to Dot Asia went live started on March 26, 2008. March ends in the 31. 26,27,28,29,30, and 31. Dot Asia specifically said that during the first five days of go live, "10,000" new registrations per day.

According to YOUR zone file Analysis to total march count was 17865 names. Which contradicts the press release. But you did say that the zone files were provided by the registry dot asia?
Read the stats again but this time pay close attention to the 01/Mar and 01/Apr headings in that table and the caption 'Start Of Month':

On 01/March/2008 .asia had 17865 domains in the zone.
On 01/April/2008 .asia had 120746 domains in the zone.

You are reading these figures as being the End Of Month figures and that is why you think that they are wrong.

Regards...jmcc

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back