IT.COM

Catching a domain expiring on Alibaba Cloud

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Sorgere

Impact
Hello,
Please forgive any errors as I'm a total newb with domains but have been learning.

I am starting a business and a domain I like expired in Feb. It was originally registered through Alibaba Cloud. I called them today and the rep said that they release expired domains to the public and have no auction house. Do you believe this is accurate?

To try to get the domain, I placed a backorder through Namebright. Is this the best approach or should I use a different drop catcher or multiple? I'm bootstrapping the company so I don't want to spend much on the domain for the website.

Thanks so much!!
Paul

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
try to add another backorder such as snapnames to increase your success rate

•••
If I do backorder through another service won't that make the name go to auction where other parties might find it interesting? Thanks so much for your input!

•••
If it is good name then it will probably go to auction as many people will be interested in it. You can see if it has been backordered or not at different dropcatchers by searching that name on these platforms like dropcatch.com namejet.com or snapnames.com and if there is no interest then add your backorders at last minute to avoid more bidders.

•••
If I do backorder through another service won't that make the name go to auction where other parties might find it interesting? Thanks so much for your input!
well there is such possibility, you have to calculate the risk of any option you take
for me if the success rate is higher than the risk i will go after the higher rate
but this is my personal opinion, you should carefully consider it by your self

•••
Thank you both very much. It's great to get insight on this from people experienced with domains!
Kind regards,
Paul

•••
alibaba sounds like a nice domain pirate ;p

•••
If it is good name then it will probably go to auction as many people will be interested in it. You can see if it has been backordered or not at different dropcatchers by searching that name on these platforms like dropcatch.com namejet.com or snapnames.com and if there is no interest then add your backorders at last minute to avoid more bidders.

I really like this approach, but how do you know when the last minute is to place backorders? I checked with the registrar and they said that it will be dropped after 30 days of a grace period. Would the last minute be the 30th day?

Also I actually placed a backorder on pool.com . Should I also place backorders as you mentioned on dropcatch.com, namejet.com, and snapnames.com at the last minute?

Thanks again everyone for any input you can give!

•••
If the domain is in grace period status then wait it for to change it to pending delete status which will start after 30 days of grace period and it is of 5 days. Backorder it on the last day and in the last minutes of backorder time of that day. Every dropcatcher has different end time for accepting backorders of that paticular day. So go to the websites of previously mentioned dropcatchers to know exact end time according to you time zone.
There is still a chance that domain will be renewed if it is a good name because many times owners renew their names quite late. So do not raise your expectation too much untill it goes to pendingdelete status.

•••
That's exactly what I was looking for. Thanks so much and thanks for the dose of reality :).

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back