NameSilo

question Can't buy a parked domain for top $ - Owner won't sell - Please advise.

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
I'm trying to buy a single-word .com domain from a large domain owner (Reflex Publishing). When I requested for an asking price, Reflex replied that the domain is not for sell.

This domain is currently parked and attracts very low volume of traffic, so it's hardly monetized.

I'm willing to pay $XX,000 for the domain.

Can someone advice on the following?
- Considering the domain low traffic rank, what can be their business model for the domain? Isn't it all about selling a domain for top $?
- Is this a negotiation tactic?
- Is there a recommended way to go about negotiating for this domain?
- Can you share a success story for some one who bought a "not-for-sale" domain?

I'm certainly willing to pay sizable commission for someone who would broker a successful transaction.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
They could be just waiting with the hope that domain prices will go up in forthcoming years. God knows when they will sell. If they are a big company probably they have experts who report market trends.

•••
>> Considering the domain low traffic rank, what can be their business model for the domain? Isn't it all about selling a domain for top $?

Not always about selling domains for immediate profit. Reflex Publishing and lot of other portfolio holders may have the domains with intent to develop, partner, or keep as a long term holding.

It probably isn't a negotiation tactic, but there's really not much you can do to compel a sale other than up your offer.

I'm certainly willing to pay sizable commission for someone who would broker a successful transaction.
I can put you in touch with someone you may be able to help. PM en route.

Best of luck,

RJ

•••
Well, if we're both looking at the same 'Reflex Publishing', it clearly states on their website "Our domain names are not for sale".

Looking at their names, it's pretty obvious why they don't want to sell. Just the few listed on their site "motels", "baseball", "flooring" (all .com), indicate they have no need to sell. The half-dozen or so domains listed on their site are almost certainly making mega-bucks just by being parked.

IMHO, don't waste your time. Their site says they're not interested in selling, they've told you they're not interested in selling. Period, there's nothing you can do about it... find another name and move on.

•••
When they say no means NO, they don't really give a damn whether you pay $xx,xxx or $x,xxx,xxx. So don't waste your time or beg, my experience was most of these company tend not to sell their domains, if you see them in whois, just run away as fast as possible:

telepathy
reflex
digimedia<---all their domains redirect to yeah.com
scott enterprises<---anything.com

Last edited:
•••
so your another one of these people who think that its you RIGHT to be able to purchase somebody elses property?
How much clearer do these people need to be before you get the message?

domaincurious said:
I'm trying to buy a single-word .com domain from a large domain owner (Reflex Publishing). When I requested for an asking price, Reflex replied that the domain is not for sell.

This domain is currently parked and attracts very low volume of traffic, so it's hardly monetized.

I'm willing to pay $XX,000 for the domain.

Can someone advice on the following?
- Considering the domain low traffic rank, what can be their business model for the domain? Isn't it all about selling a domain for top $?
- Can you share a success story for some one who bought a "not-for-sale" domain?

•••
RoT said:
so your another one of these people who think that its you RIGHT to be able to purchase somebody elses property?
How much clearer do these people need to be before you get the message?
I think that was uncalled for. The OP said nothing about wanting to take away the domain or having a better "right" to it. He is willing to pay a lot of money and is looking for opinions and options.

Yes, there are people who believe domain parking is similar to ticket scalping and therefore they have a moral right to parked domains. That is not the position of the original poster. It is his right to make an offer on other people's property, and his right to make a second offer.

•••
accentnepal said:
I think that was uncalled for. The OP said nothing about wanting to take away the domain or having a better "right" to it. He is willing to pay a lot of money and is looking for opinions and options.

Yes, there are people who believe domain parking is similar to ticket scalping and therefore they have a moral right to parked domains. That is not the position of the original poster. It is his right to make an offer on other people's property, and his right to make a second offer.

ok, maybe it was a little strong and I apologise, there was a thread similar to this a while ago that really annoyed me.

But to your point I would have to disagree, people have the right to quiet enjoyment of their property without being constantly harrassed by other people wanting to purchase it.
Obviously this is the case because these people made it quite clear that the names were not for sale.

•••
kahsoon said:
When they say no means NO, they don't really give a damn whether you pay $xx,xxx or $x,xxx,xxx. So don't waste your time or beg, my experience was most of these company tend not to sell their domains, if you see them in whois, just run away as fast as possible:

telepathy
reflex
digimedia<---all their domains redirect to yeah.com

EVERY single "not for sale" domainer has been known to sell domains - if the price is right - as revealed by WHOIS info on domains that have changed hands.

That said, I doubt $ X0,000 is even in the ballpark for that one-worder (noun - product/service).
Find another, you'll live without it.

•••
Everything's for sale (well almost..) if you can produce the right number of greenbacks.

Domaincurious has a bona fide interest in buying the name, so he should not be criticized for trying.

But given the registrant's response, they seem very happy not selling the name, so domaincurious would probably have to offer an unreasonable sum of money were he to arouse their interest.

Let's say someone wanted to buy my dog. I'd absolutely say he's not for sale at any price. Say he offered a million dollars for it. I'd negotiate visiting rights into the deal and the dog would have a new master, but the guy wouldn't have gotten a good deal.
;)

•••
Josh is right. If the money is there they will sell. It's not like you are trying to buy their kid. I mean look at Indecent Proposal, lol.

Make an offer they cannot refuse if you must have the name and your pockets are that deep.

•••
Other extensions

If they do not want to sell for high $XX,XXX move on. You likely can get another extension for the same word for alot less and develop/SEO the domain so you're way ahead of them.

If their name is parked they are only getting type in traffic. You could easily jump way ahead of them in the SERPs on Google/MSN/Yahoo if you start developing now. The .com might be nice but think longer term and you'll win the game. I am number #1 in the SERPs with some real estate sites in my local market by using the .info extension.

If you are US based (and the business model is USA specific) I'd suggest the .US extension since that might help with some possible confusion later on. Having the .us likely would be easier to remember and from a marketing perspective you could really develop something unique. My sites mentioned above are Canadian so the .us would not work.

Good luck and feel free to contact me for some more advice.

•••
accentnepal said:
It is his right to make an offer on other people's property, and his right to make a second offer.
He doesn't have a "right" to make a second offer. They've already said they're not interested, their site even has a big sign on it right above the contact details, saying they're not interested. If he continues, despite being told that they're not interested, it's harassment.

Who says everyone has a price anyway? If their domain is making megabucks, which it most likely is, who's to say they don't want the monthly revenue or just want the name in their portfolio? Just because the OP says the domain has "a very low volume of traffic", doesn't mean it does have.

You seriously have to learn to take "no" for an answer and look elsewhere. If they don't want to sell, and they've told you twice already, including once directly, keeping pestering them for it won't change their mind. You don't have a right to a parked domain. It's their property.

Two clear "no"s should be enough for you to get the message, stop asking them and find something else.

•••
On icann's website I have read an interesting email. There was a guy who had website which was related to his own business. Another guy who was interested to that domain made a whois search and send an email to the email address on whois info.

The owner was getting lots of spam massages and he didn't feel like it was his responsibility to check 40 spams every single day. Later on the potential buyer when not getting a reply from the owner contacted the registrar and told them the whois infor was incorrect. The registrar send an email to confirm but didn't get a reply either. At the end the registrar canceled the domain.

The owner was very angry and send an email to icann telling that his website was down, his costumers were very upset and he lost a lot of money.

•••
Not ALL Domains are for sale , Despite a few posters saying otherwise.

If the original offer was in a Decent price range - and received this response .... I'd generally say it was a Honest response.

Many people will consider it harassment to keep sending offers. As -RJ- stated above , Many people have long term plans for their portfolios and have no interest in selling period.

I'd probably move on to another domain or just Brand on a made up domain. I see a few have suggested trying other extensions .... Thats alright to do sometimes - But "IMO" .com is still the only way to go for long term plans and brandability.

•••
Just to give the OP somewhat of a break, many of the more "notorious" TM domain holders clearly mark all of their domains as "Not for sale" and will respond to any unsolicited enqueries in the same manner. However, the names are typically for sale - there just have to be a complicated mating ritual dance first ;)

-Allan :gl:

•••
IAmAllanShore said:
Just to give the OP somewhat of a break, many of the more "notorious" TM domain holders clearly mark all of their domains as "Not for sale" and will respond to any unsolicited enqueries in the same manner. However, the names are typically for sale - there just have to be a complicated mating ritual dance first ;)

-Allan :gl:

I see traffic testing all the time and WHOIS changes...so yes they DO sell.

Picture the scenario:

The problem is that the OP (and 99.9% others) ask "is it for sale? How much? blabla". Remember, these top tier domains get 100s of such inquiries per domain per week of the type "is it for sale? how much is it? blabla".
(Why even ask this qn - you have to seek permission to make an offer? Is it like who makes the first price loses? LOL
Just make a decent offer in the BALLPARK (comes with experience or if money is no object) - this applies especially if its a "notorious" domainer.)
Now, after replying "the price is $<number>", only to find after the song and dance the inquirer's max budget is $50, 100, 250, $500 or whatnot for
something worth $ X00,000. And after the rejection, the inquirer gives an earbashing about the seller's practices, morals and capitalism, and that the domain is only worth $<number>...
And inquirers are very aggressive these days...

In short, on a balance of probabilities, total waste of time, given the number of buyers able to willing to drop $ X00,000 (or whatever) is minute.

OTOH if the email came from Yahoo, MSoft, Google...or other well-known domain investors...

•••
MarcelProust said:
On icann's website I have read an interesting email. There was a guy who had website which was related to his own business. Another guy who was interested to that domain made a whois search and send an email to the email address on whois info.

The owner was getting lots of spam massages and he didn't feel like it was his responsibility to check 40 spams every single day. Later on the potential buyer when not getting a reply from the owner contacted the registrar and told them the whois infor was incorrect. The registrar send an email to confirm but didn't get a reply either. At the end the registrar canceled the domain.

The owner was very angry and send an email to icann telling that his website was down, his costumers were very upset and he lost a lot of money.
Link please.

•••
TheLegendaryJP said:
Ya a link please. I find that one hard to swallow. Infact if I felt like it Id tell you exactly what happens.
Great minds think alike. :hehe:

•••
•••
1, As always there is a cutoff to the value of something. For the interested buyer, the domain may achieve what he's looking for, yet i am sure, that if he'd made his business homework, that he has a cutoff value in mind.
Very similar to the company that is currently holding the domain, his approach is a tactical one. They are both dancing around the fire and either the company sells before he has reached his targeted max. investment or he will give up and move on towards a similar domain name.
2, Should he have a registered mark "R" or trademark "TM" on the product or name that he's attempting to get the domain for, he can easily involve an attorney and probably get the domain for less than he offered. I am certain that a skilled attorney knows about the ins and outs about R and TM, with time lines, etc.
3, If the domain is not generating any cash flow for the current company, their tactics are relatively clear, everyone, person or corporate entitiy alike, have a price that they are willing to sell for.
4, "domaincurious" knows something or has a concept/product that he hopes will unfold and generate more than he paid for, which ultimately puts him in the same pond as the sharks that he's trying to buy from...

all in all, this is called: Business.

5, last but not least, on a not so serious note "domaincurious" sees sentimental value in the domain, has too much cash in his pocket, in which case he should consider sending some over to me. He doesn't know what else to do with his funds, other than to chase after a domain that he'd like to own just for the benefit of owning it. ;)

•••
Funny. I actually exchanged about 10 emails with this guy Kenny Too who owns hm.net (the domain here in question about getting his name cancelled), from 7/20/06 to 8/5/06. He never lost the domain- it's still in his whois info. Additionally, he is interested in selling it, with the highest offer when I stopped negotiating that he had received was 10.5k.

Last edited:
•••
I stopped negotiating that he had received was 10.5k.

wow! this guy is probably sitting on the ultimate goldmine! If he had an idea that one of the major clothing retailers in europe goes by the name of H&M, he's probably got a legitimate shot to get more than $10.5k. H&M is the european equivalent to Macy's, JC Penny, etc. Imagine the opportunities! :$:

•••
•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back