NameSilo

new gtlds Canon.Com now redirects to Global.Canon

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
One of the big questions regarding brands that use their branded new gTLD extension is what the company will choose for the left of the dot. It looks like Canon recently made the decision to use its .Canon extension, and company management decided on Global.Canon for the company home page. The company uses the Canon Global logo without any extension, so it does not look like rebranding was necessary...
Source

http://www.domaininvesting.com/canon-com-now-redirects-to-global-canon/

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Dope. When you have that much $$$ .. why not? Canon is treating the .com like the formality it is.

•••
People are going to think global is the brand and will type in global.com

•••
•••

Yes, you might be right. dot Canon is for the company's used only; another personalized domain extension. Canon.com and global.canon; Canon company own both. ..

ICANN allows the dot global domain extension. So, everybody can used the word "global" ...either on the L side or the R side of the dot...

•••
In a future quarterly conference call with Wall Street analysts explaining why they failed to meet earnings expectations, the CFO or CIO explains, we tried changing our branding to Global.Canon and used that in numerous ad campaigns but discovered we were losing traffic to Global.com.

•••
They could of used these Canon.Canon or Canon.global...
I believe if you want to get your products some serious attention, your product brand or name should be place First on your 4Ps...

•••
They could of used these Canon.Canon or Canon.global...
I believe if you want to get your products some serious attention, your product brand or name should be place First on your 4Ps...
Except if it is home. Like Home.Barclays looks neater than Barclays.Home

Although if I were the owner of .canon I would have canon.com redirect to "Grand.Canon". Just seems witty.

•••
One company's desire to run their own gTLD... nothing more to see here folks. Time to move on. :D

•••
Surely they will direct to their own gTLD but not sure how it pans out in the long run. If the data suggests .COM getting more hits than they have to change the plan.

•••
Exactly. Corporations have been using Intranets for decades. Their use of .canon is an extension of that kind of IT thinking. Its greater brand marketing, no different than using FB, twitter or instagram.

•••
dot.com is ending, enter the age of the not.com.

Those who don't adapt will perish.

•••
and global.canon sounds like an apocalyptic weapon ahaha

•••
and global.canon sounds like an apocalyptic weapon ahaha

For people who never heard about 'canon', yeah, definitely :D

•••
•••
it could be vice versa, you never know. gtlds with current approach get cant anywhere.

I can't predict the future but with brand TLDs like .canon and with industry TLDs like .bank it will make phishing a lot more difficult because people can be taught to look for the proper TLD giving a security benefit.

Once people start looking at the TLD that phishers can't easily spoof, .com won't be as important.

•••
It's a moot point really, because the average person has no idea about the restrictions on .bank or .whatever and how they are safe and trustworthy. They tend not to trust fuzzy extensions.
Restricted extensions never picked up because businesses are not interested in red tape either.
In practice people pay more attention to SSL certificates, and some browsers also have anti-phishing features.
Phishing is not really a domain problem, it's more a social engineering thing.

•••
I can't predict the future but with brand TLDs like .canon and with industry TLDs like .bank it will make phishing a lot more difficult because people can be taught to look for the proper TLD giving a security benefit.

Once people start looking at the TLD that phishers can't easily spoof, .com won't be as important.

Website domain names are not only about phishing.. question also comes to the domainers..

Canon.com vs Global.canon

1 - Which one easy to type for end users?
2 - Which one is more meaningful?
3 - Which one is more brandable?
4 - Which one is more user friendly?
5 - Which one is cheaper?
6 - Which one is better in technical perspective?
7 - ...
8 - ....
9 - ...

it goes on.. so in a long run, i wouldn't bet on gtlds much..

•••
dslr.canon
copier.canon
video.canon
lenses.canon

AFAIK canon isn't using those yet, but if you are asking what is easier for the end user, the canon brand gtld gives Canon a lot of options they don't otherwise have.

Last edited:
•••
dslr.canon
copier.canon
video.canon
lenses.canon

AFAIK canon isn't using those yet, but if you are asking what is easier for the end user, the canon brand gtld gives Canon a lot of options they don't otherwise have.

These are all different products of canon. Does really company need different domain for each product? One website would include all of them in well categorized manner. So, let's say that would make it fancy to have, but then how many products canon might have? 20, 50, 100 ? So just for 100 products of canon has domain extension .canon that is overkill.

•••
Whether they need a different domain for each product is something for them to decide, but it can have SEO value with keywords in the domain name without needing to use sub-domains.

I have no clue if they want to go that way or not. I personally like distinct domains for distinct product groups.

It's not the only philosophy, not the only way to do it, but I like it because it makes product line specific search easier, product line specific search just becomes a site search.

•••
Canon can also potentially do things like contract out sigma.canon or tamron.canon etc. if they chose to do so for those third party accessories. Not sure that they would, but they can.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back