Dynadot

question Can We Register a Domain Name as a Trademark?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Md. Imon Hossain

Established Member
Impact
Can We Register a Domain Name as a Trademark? as Like business Trademark. I got a super cool domain name, now I want to keep it until I die. So is there any war to keep the domain?

Thanks in Advance :xf.smile:

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I believe the only way you can Trademark a domain is if you have created a strong brand and that domain name describes the brand.

For example Chase.com when you use any variation of that domain it is considered a trademark violation. This is because Chase has built a strong brand and they have a domain to match/represent that brand.

- Will

•••
I hope there should be no war needed to keep the domain :)

regarding your question,
I think you can. In my research for domains to register I often come across companies (small, big, doesn't matter) who have registered their domain as a trademark.

•••
•••
•••
•••
does the name you want to buy/reg already have a trademark on it?

or are you looking to add a trademark to a name you want to buy/reg?

•••
Yes you can do this but first you have to check it if there is any trademark already on your domain name.if you find it already there exist a trademark same as your domain name then it will be problematic.

•••
The answers above are less than helpful.

First, you can register anything as a trademark, provided that it acts as a trademark.

If, for example, you wanted to register a mark in the US, then you are going to have be offering goods or services in commerce using the mark.

So the question is not "can I register X as trademark?", the question is "can I register X as a trademark for the business of trading in Y goods or services."

What sort of business do you conduct or intend to conduct using the domain name as a mark?

And perhaps a more relevant question is in what jurisdiction would you like to register the mark?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back