IT.COM

Can typo domain earn so much money?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

hfluffy

Impact
WhatsApp typo domain (.co.za) with around 100 visits per day.

Owner is not selling it, but claims that it earns $40/day with such an amount of traffic. (Two years ago it was $150/day before Google blocked it)

Is it possible?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
whatsapp dot co.za leads to http://whatsthatapp.net/ and that site does not have Alexa Rank which could mean that a) it does not have any traffic; b) nobody in South Africa uses Alexa toolbar and it is local traffic.

If it is b) even with 10% ctr, that would be 10 clicks and I don't think South African traffic can get $4/click in average.

•••
before Google blocked it)
Do yo mean G drop it from search result. any way my top ranking site was second in my region on WhatsApp KW but G add MA and dropped my site from search result . my adsense acc still running and i completely forgot that site .(BTW it's not have WhatsApp KW in domain name ) .
i no think any one will sue for having EMD unless few cases I saw site shutdown under court order due Trademark infringement
Last if that site still ranking believe me he can make 100$/day easy from adsense , I was making more then that when my site was on top , specially this KW is competitive KW , I got offer from few companies to advertise on my WhatsApp page .

Last edited:
•••
I have TrjpAdvisor.com

It get a little traffic. However, earned very low money.

•••
Sorry, the domain is: watsapp dot co.za
The guy who owns this domain is CEO of ICANN accredited registrar

he didn't specify any details only earnings and traffic.
So we can only assume

•••
first of all, I assumed, by the looks of the site, that each visitor does one page view there. Let's say it is 2 average, which is too optimistic for that "content". Still $2/click is way too high. No, I don't think 80% ctr is realistic. Most people just leave when they turn out on a "wrong" site.

•••
It seems that he is using some clever geo-targeted redirects.

maybe he is getting paid for combination of clicks, impressions and leads and got lucky because traffic is good?

•••
From my understanding typo domains use to make a killing back in the day but right now it is very rare unless you have a really good .com typo and if you do they will most likely come after your domain since you are taking advantage of a brand/company.

So if you are into typos make sure they are typos of general/common terms and not companies. I remember getting a letter from a popular bank because I was making a killing off their brand from a site with some ads on it.

- Will

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back