Dynadot

question Can I buy unclaimed .org & .co domain of an establishing startup and sell them back?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Domain Services Corp

Established Member
Impact
I'm curious about this. Please provide your opinions about the same. Will it be considered as a copyright infringement? Are there any legal issues in this prosses? Because this startup I'm looking after has a great potential in the future but obviously the founders must be from non-technical side so they didn't purchase the .co and .org domains of their brand, but they do own .com domain.

Can I capitalise on their dumbness? Is it considered ethical in the industry?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
It would most likely be a trademark issue. Also, If they own the .com, it’s unlikely they’d be interested in buying other tlds from you.

•••
Probably a TM issue. Also if they wanted those domains they would have already bought them at reg fee before you did.

•••
•••
•••
•••
•••
•••
This is why people hate us lol

•••
DomainServicesCorp.com is available to register btw

•••
This is why people hate us lol
I do understand it now. I found out
Uniform Domain-Name Dispute-Resolution Policy
and now I'm laughing on myself LOL:playful::xf.wink:

•••
This is a question something like: can I buy google.something and then sell it to google?

•••
To be fair, I can see how the concept would make sense to someone new to domaining and trademarks. Kudos to Domain Services Corp for asking questions first.

Last edited:
•••
I wouldn't, but some companies like Facebook & Shopify have bought them in the aftermarket if priced cheaper than a dispute, still not really worth it as it could have risk. Just stick to generics.

•••
This is a question something like: can I buy google.something and then sell it to google?
Bro. I'm obviously new to this but not dumb as you think. You better understand my perspective behind the question and I know now this is illegal and unethical. But if you look other intellectual property business domains, this is kind of a big deal, and real thing. Capitalising on the missed opportunities is the most basic business development model, but definitely not in the domain industry as I learnt that from fellow members.

I just expect meaningful debate/answers. As there are many new members joining this community and unaware about the cybersquatting concept.

No harm intended.

•••
To be fair, I can see how the concept would make sense to someone new to domaining and trademarks. Kudos to Domain Services Corp for asking questions first.
Thank you for understanding the perspective. I do agree now that this type of business practice is illegal and unethical.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back