IT.COM

poll Can ALL domainers be successful? [VOTE]

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Is it possible for all domainers to make profit?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • Yup, every domainer could make profit

votes
    25.0%
  • Hell no, domainers can't all be successful

votes
    68.8%
  • It's too early, I need coffee!

votes
    6.3%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

redemo

Mug RuithTop Member
Impact
I want to know your opinion. Since there are one million Namepros members if all accounts were active and one million domainers began competing at the same time, could all domainers make profit? Personally I don't think it's actually possible for that to happen and the domaining industry knows it. What do you think? (@abstractdomainer gave me💲to start this poll).

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
If all domainers made profit, everyone would be domainer.
I don't think profit is what determines as a builder could also go broke and still be a builder.
An accountant again would still be an accountant. A domainer could have more invested than sold as most cases.

Last edited:
•••
What's the point of this poll? Seriously.

It's just like asking if all people could be rich.

•••
I don't think profit is what determines as a builder could also go broke and still be a builder.
An accountant again would still be an accountant. A domainer could have more invested than sold as most cases.

Everyone with money and willingness to take risks could trade something, domain or anything. Everyone could be domainer while being something else at the same time. But everyone could not be an accountant or builder. Being a doımainer makes someone a trader. If you are a trader and make loss, become broke then you will have no occupation, no matter your expertise level. Once you become an accountant or builder, you will always be so, until you die. That's the difference.

Last edited:
•••
Everyone with money and willingness to take risks could trade something, domain or anything. Everyone could be domainer while being something else at the same time. But everyone could not be an accountant or builder. Being a doımainer makes someone a trader. If you are a trader and make loss, become broke then you will have no occupation, no matter your expertise level. Once you become an accountant or builder, you will always be so, until you die. That's the difference.
I guess i will always be a plumber even though i think domaining allows people to dabble in new occupations also. I still will think an occupation can be broke how ever i still think a professional in any industry make a profit a sportsman isn't professional till paid but i am still saying not a lot qualifies to be a domainer but perhaps 2 names. It is just what would qualify to have an opinion.

Last edited:
•••
What's the point of this poll? Seriously.

What's the point of waking up in the morning? It's just like asking if humans needs to be here.

•••
I guess i will always be a plumber even though i think domaining allows people to dabble in new occupations also. I still will think an occupation can be broke how ever i still think a professional in any industry make a profit a sportsman isn't professional till paid but i am still saying not a lot qualifies to be a domainer but perhaps 2 names. It is just what would qualify to have an opinion.
Until we establish what a domainer is, all answers to this poll are subjective. However, a profit means getting back more than you invested. Technically, yes, that could be one cent. Therein lies the real question. How much profit is really considered profit. Do you need to be a professional fulltimer to be taken seriously as a domainer? Maybe there are levels of domainer. Parttime domainer and fulltime domainer, and other answers I can't think of right now, but maybe you can?

•••
Define rich and that question is mathematically possible to answer matey.

•••
There are many skiers but there are a very select few professional fulltime skiers. Perhaps I do this poll again and ask the question just about fulltime domainers? Can all domainers be fulltime professional domainers? Wouldn't the downvoters just love that, another @redemo poll. Downvote this post if you love my polls.

Last edited:
•••
There are many skiers but there are a very select few professional fulltime skiers. Perhaps I do this poll again and ask the question just about fulltime domainers? Can all domainers be fulltime professional domainers? Wouldn't the downvoters just love that, another @redemo poll. Downvote this post if you love my polls.

As long as you have capital you are trader. Without capital you are not a domainer, no matter fulltime/partime, no matter if you make profit or loss unless you don't lose your capital. If you are a broker who works on capital/domains of others, then yes, it's a different story.

•••
As long as you have capital you are trader. Without capital you are not a domainer, no matter fulltime/partime, no matter if you make profit or loss unless you don't lose your capital. If you are a broker who works on capital/domains of others, then yes, it's a different story.
So you're saying that the ability to invest in domain names is the sole requirement to become a successful domainer?

•••
With the (conditioned) industry response mostly being HELL NO!!
The critical question is... Why can't every domainer make a profit?

The answer is existing practices have conditioned domainers to focus on The Domain for The Enduser.
This needle-in-a-haystack biz model fails 98% of the time, leading folks to think not everyone can profit.

However, if you shift the focus to the (undeveloped) collective namespace, owned by domainers, and leverage it as a Distributed (TV) Network in the global media market... there is no reason why the namespace of a million domainers could not become a billion dollar business.

Global media media revenues surged to $2.3 trillion last year, strongly outpacing the global economy: https://www.digitaltvnews.net/?p=38366

I've been working on a 'Namespace TV' network. I'm in content production mode now... with enough 'in the can' to begin an outreach campaign to TV networks. So, I might as well include domainers -at this point.

PM me if you would consider adding your namespace to the network. And I'll reply when I get to that point.

The Web is What Developers Made It. The Undeveloped Web is What We Make It.

•••
With the (conditioned) industry response mostly being HELL NO!!
The critical question is... Why can't every domainer make a profit?

Reason is one word: education.

Too much noise, less signal. That's the reason.

Newbie domainers selling great domains for too cheap, or (most often) a zillion crappy domains for a ton of money.

Clients still not getting it in 2022, needs to be educated. The true value of a domain name. The $1K price or less everyone wants in 2022 is simply ridiculous.

Consequently sales are disperse, too many folks in, too many names, too little knowledge, competition over much fewer and still not enough value educated buyers.

•••
So you're saying that the ability to invest in domain names is the sole requirement to become a successful domainer?

Ability to invest is a requirement to become domainer. This knowledge is a requirement to become successful domainer.

•••
There is not simply enough investment grade names available for regular purchase to make it profitable for hundreds of thousands. They'd be going hard for the same names and the returns would diminish drastically. Given the inherent level of risk, it would kill it for everyone.

What saves it for the industry is that the learning curve and required skills are not easy ones to master and some, who might have talent, would give up demoralized by the huge level of patience required.

In fact, the difference between a successful investor and unsuccessful could be a ... mere luck. The former getting an early great sale, e.g. to encourage, bankroll or point in the right direction.

•••
Domaining is no different than trading in stocks and commodities. You have ups and downs. Not everyone can be successfull neither anyone can always be successfull

•••
Reason is one word: education.

Too much noise, less signal. That's the reason.

Newbie domainers selling great domains for too cheap, or (most often) a zillion crappy domains for a ton of money.

Clients still not getting it in 2022, needs to be educated. The true value of a domain name. The $1K price or less everyone wants in 2022 is simply ridiculous.

Consequently sales are disperse, too many folks in, too many names, too little knowledge, competition over much fewer and still not enough value educated buyers.

Whoever is selling, or buying, domains, at whatever price, with however much education, does not change the Groundhog Day reality that 98% of available names do not sell year after year.

This ongoing domain inventory nightmare is the main reason many domainers wake-up wanting to sell any name, at any price. Even the 'uneducated' know too much inventory lowers prices

However, my point is, the 98% that does not sell could make a lot more money, for a lot more domainers, than the 2% of names that do sell... for the 1%.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back