IT.COM

discuss Calls from India

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
It's only Noon and I have already had 4 different website design firms from India call my cell phone! I keep telling all of them never to call me again but it does no good. One such Indian firm called me every single day for 3 months!!! I know it was them because the caller id always just showed a W instead of a phone number.

Any business person in the US can be fined big bucks for harassing people by phone who have asked to be removed from calling lists. But these Indian firms seem to be getting away with mass harassment of US citizens without any recourse.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
The sheer amount of calls became a problem. An end user who needs a domain and is serious about acquisition will email if the phone does not answer. There is a contact form on all my domains, this is 99% of all my sales. The other 1% finds my email on the page.

It is only my suggestion, somebody may well get calls from end users but I personally do not.
Whoever uses the phone to buy a domain is still loving in the 80's.

•••
Whoever uses the phone to buy a domain is still loving in the 80's.

I guess you never bought a name on the phone.

Deals are so much easier on the phone.

•••
How do you buy over the phone?

Do you just give your credit card number to someone you dont trust?

•••
How you buy over the phone

discuss the purchase /terms
make a agreement.
give instructions how do do the transaction if needed.
Phone call is much more effective then a email.
Phone calls get deals done faster imo

•••
You can do all that once you have initiated discussion via email. You can give them your phone number in an email. By including a phone number in whois then expect to talk to 30 indians every day.

•••
You can do all that once you have initiated discussion via email. You can give them your phone number in an email. By including a phone number in whois then expect to talk to 30 indians every day.

Which is true I'm not disagreeing with you there.
But a straight phone call is more direct.

•••
Dont mind talking to an end user...but hate talking to a web developer about a service I do not need.

•••
Dont mind talking to an end user...but hate talking to a web developer about a service I do not need.

I completely agree with you. I can't stand all these calls I get from India it drives me insane too.

•••
Yesterday the same person called me 5 times in a row and each time they called they asked about a different domain name. I told them I had just spoken to them and wasn't interested so why are you calling me again about a different domain. In the end I swore at them. Believe it or not a minute later they called back about a different domain. I couldn't even block them because they used a silent number.

•••
I have just been answering the phone and before they can even talk I say " whoa, whoa , whoa, hold on don't say a word, I am a psychic and let me guess. Your name is majdee and you want to build my website. correct ? " to my amusement a few have actually been named Majdee.. most hang up. One guy said, quite excitedly I might add " Yes. Yes I am Majdee, you are a very good psychic sir."

I do like the whistle idea though. :-D

Truthfully over all it does't really bother me. I only answer when I want too .The numbers are obvious and friends or true inquiries leave messages. The reason it doesnt bother me is I have had to make sales calls myself. Calling someone cold is real hard for most people. The constant rejection most can't take. I can't imagine if I could barely speak the language. They are people too and merely trying to make a living for their families. I actually admire the fact that they try such a tough gig. Unlike %50 of our society that takes handouts... I often wish them luck when I get off the phone JMO

•••
You get used to the calls and the emails the more and more domains that you register. I don't even trust the ones right here from the USA let alone a foreign country.

•••
"sorry but I can develop my own WordPress Sites"

•••
I tell t
I am in India and yes they annoy you every single day with emails,calls and smses

maybe you can enlighten me why they call over and over again
though I told them first time they shall delete my phone number and never call me again ?

what the h*ll do they expect ?
an order????????

•••
Well, I don't get development offers calls, maybe bacause I've provided a fake number on whois + they probalby don't have a gateway line in Bulgaria and such calls will get expensive for them too. By the way, blocking calls from India migh not work. Such spammers just like the support call centres have gateway landines (ot sure exactly how it is called in english) so the caller number is not foreign. Otherwise calling people on phone on other countnents would be costly.
I am using Gmail fo mail and the contact email of the domains gets checked trough it (and most of those offers go directly to SPAM), no significant volume gets in my mailbox.

Right now where I am I have an ussue with similar spammes who offer brokerage on stock and forex marets. Company ownership is public, so is the company contact phone...you can not provide a fake one, and in one-man busenesses it is oner's personal phone. I realise that on the othere side is usually some girl (often a student, my sister also tried this onse... for 3 days in total) who just tries to make ends meet, she knows I have (or used ot have) some business (no idea how large) and most probably we are in phisically in the same city.
Funniest so far:
1. I was not busy, so I let her talk for a while, giving random short answers just to keep her talking... "Excuse me, are you even listening?", "Yes, I do. I am not interested at the offer at all, but you have such a nice voice and I'd like to keep listening to it :rolleyes:", So... you just like my voice...:alien3:". Hags up and that company never called again (I think, these bastards change their company names on yearly basis).
2. I was busy... "Hello mister Xxx Xxx, we are calling from company WhateverSpammy... is it convenient to talk about...", "I am not interested and busy, I am sorry" (hanging up), (calls again) "How can you hang up to a lady ho calls you before even listening to her :ahhh:! No genleman would do this, it is not manly! I hope that there are fewear men like you!!!" (hangs up):alien2:

Last edited:
•••
No genleman would do this, it is not manly! I hope that there are fewear men like you!!!" (hangs up):alien2:

that nice
now they got you ;)

•••
I get around 20 calls a day from Indian Web designers and about 10 calls a day from automated loan calls.

It really irritating so I try to mess with every guy that calls me make them feel just as irritated

Thats too many!!

I would straight away threaten them with legal notice for harassment if they dont stop calling.

India has some rules in place for such kind of nuance.

Well, I don't get development offers calls, maybe bacause I've provided a fake number on whois + they probalby don't have a gateway line in Bulgaria and such calls will get expensive for them too. By the way, blocking calls from India migh not work. Such spammers just like the support call centres have gateway landines (ot sure exactly how it is called in english) so the caller number is not foreign. Otherwise calling people on phone on other countnents would be costly.
I am using Gmail fo mail and the contact email of the domains gets checked trough it (and most of those offers go directly to SPAM), no significant volume gets in my mailbox.

Right now where I am I have an ussue with similar spammes who offer brokerage on stock and forex marets. Company ownership is public, so is the company contact phone...you can not provide a fake one, and in one-man busenesses it is oner's personal phone. I realise that on the othere side is usually some girl (often a student, my sister also tried this onse... for 3 days in total) who just tries to make ends meet, she knows I have (or used ot have) some business (no idea how large) and most probably we are in phisically in the same city.
Funniest so far:
1. I was not busy, so I let her talk for a while, giving random short answers just to keep her talking... "Excuse me, are you even listening?", "Yes, I do. I am not interested at the offer at all, but you have such a nice voice and I'd like to keep listening to it :rolleyes:", So... you just like my voice...:alien3:". Hags up and that company never called again (I think, these bastards change their company names on yearly basis).
2. I was busy... "Hello mister Xxx Xxx, we are calling from company WhateverSpammy... is it convenient to talk about...", "I am not interested and busy, I am sorry" (hanging up), (calls again) "How can you hang up to a lady ho calls you before even listening to her :ahhh:! No genleman would do this, it is not manly! I hope that there are fewear men like you!!!" (hangs up):alien2:

She got you!! ;)

•••
UAE too.
Now it's been a year. I almost receive 4 to 6 calls a week from different resources and lot of emails on daily basis. They keep saying we are india base designing firm and we are calling you. If you are ineed of designing a website for your domain. I have same repeated answer to everyone. Sometimes i shout at them. And told them many times. I have no need of website design. I bought these domains to sell and if i need any website design. I have own IT company. Aaah than they said. We will help your team to design website etc at very low cost. They are annoying and have no idea how to get rid off those bastards. They always wasted my time.

•••
..its the same here in India too..they kept calling numerous times..than i tried another way "Just avoid them" by bluntly end the calls at 1-2 secs.

They now harasses me in my spam folder everyday..and am using Unroll.me to get rid of them (sometimes manually unsubscribing from their mailing list)

Yes..its a long way...but now the calls have dropped :)

sAm..

•••
I am from India. They Stopped calling me when I threaten with reporting to police and the calling stopped.
I still get Emails and Text messages every time from different address or numbers. Hell they are unbreakable
haha same here... :P

•••
lol.... I actually had 2 calls, about a week ago from Gowebby......I responded to both calls the same way :)

Step 1: - Put the call on Speaker so u can carry on working or doing whatever it was you were doing.

Step 2: - Doesn't matter if the caller is male or female (your objective is to freak them out so they don't call you again)

Step3: When they starting give you the pitch, cut them off and ask them "What are you wearing?"
- This is generally followed by silence, then they might carry on with the pitch or they ask you "Sir, what do you mean?" - Then you respond, "I want to know what you are wearing because I'm naked and you sound very sexy and I am very turned on right now and am touching myself"

Step 4: They put the phone down and never call back :)

I have to try this!!!!! LOL

•••
I remember my first experience in late 90's with call centers in india. I accused the person of calling me repeatedly, i was wrong, ..a tv show called "outsourced" pretty much explained the industry and why they all sound the same, voice and language training....just a thought, I wonder if blocking calls from India would work, but I doubt it as they probably route the calls from elsewhere.

P.s. the only thing I hate more than a unsolicited sales calls from india is local calls from salesmen that act like they know what they are talking about and a regular Joe probably believes everything they say, when in reality they have very little knowledge of their product and make $hit up they think will help them make the sale. I dislike bullshitters.

•••
When they call, I flip the table and say.. "You called to buy a domain name for your web development company? We have great domain names for just. a few thousand dollars." I keep pushing that and they hang up. The calls have been fewer since flipping the sales pitch to them. I don't let them talk about development. They hang up on me.

•••
I think it will take much time for Indian business to adjust or standardize its practices to an acceptable global standard.

I am from India, and I must admit that it feels really saddening when I hear about unprofessional working of some of the Indian businesses. Frankly speaking, even I get hundreds of similar spam mails every month.

I hope serious Indian domainers like me (who contact through mails and phone calls) don't get impacted by environment of distrust being created by few online Indian entities.

•••
The phone rang I answered "I don't want any web development" ..... he said "what?" ..... I said I do not want any web development ...... he said "No I am from the tax department" ..... I called him a scammer (there has been scams calling themselves the tax department lately) I then called him an idiot and hung up. Scammers and Spammers ...... ho hum, strangely the tax department never rang back ??

•••
I am from India, and I must admit that it feels really saddening when I hear about unprofessional working of some of the Indian businesses. Frankly speaking, even I get hundreds of similar spam mails every month.

I hope serious Indian domainers like me (who contact through mails and phone calls) don't get impacted by environment of distrust being created by few online Indian entities.
I don't think professionalism or distrust is as much an issue as the huge number of unsolicited calls and emails that is distracting and time consuming.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back