IT.COM

advice Buyer asking for certification

NameSilo
Watch

SeattleEclipse

Impact
I'm about to close on a deal with a buyer offering me a pretty good amount of money, but before we proceed with the transaction the want me to send them a screenshot of my domain account (to prove I'm the legitemant owner), and a domain certification from a specific website that they linked (domtools.domain-certificates.com).

I want to close this deal, but I haven't clicked the link yet in fear that it's a phishing site or a scam, I need help and advice. Is this normal for the buyer to ask for this type of certification?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
This looks fishy for me. If you are using an escrow service then there is no reason for the buyer to be afraid of being scammed.

Looks similar to an appraisal scam. 'The buyer' has no interest in buying the domain, he just wants you to pay for an appraisal/certificate.

•••
Yup appraisal scam for sure.. Don't waste more time on them.

•••
•••
Yes agree its an appraisal scam. There are many like these doing the rounds where in they try to sell certifications for a fee and then never purchase the domain

•••
Thanks for the advice people. I had been skeptical since the beginning of the negotiations with the "buyer".Sad to hear it wasn't a legit offer, but I'm wiser because of it.

•••
Also, should I just ignore their emails? Or should I tell them outright that I'm not interested?

•••
If you want to be nice to the person, you can send across a simple mail that you are not interested in the offer. Else you may ignore the letter.

•••
Or you can tell them you'd give the domain with a 50% discount if they pay for the appraisal by theirselves.
Their replies could be funny sometimes.

•••
Tell them that you are $50 short for the appraisal amount and they should send it to your Paypal or via WesterUnion and after you receive it, that you will surely go through with the appraisal/certification..

Maybe you get $50 for their time wasting and maybe if enough people do it, they will stop sending this BS.

•••
Actually, offer the domain for $50 flat. Tell hm the price is so low that an appraisal is unjustified & if he wants one, he can order it himself. lol The "buyer" won't even reply.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back