NameSilo

question Buy or not a dot net domain

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Abdou abdou

Established Member
Impact
Hi Pros,
I have found a dot net domain witch the dot com and dot org are taken and the dot com has been sold for about $5500. The domain is two key words . Should I buy it ?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I think most old-hands have come to recognise the .net seems to be the poor relation these days. It was the .org in the early days of just the three domains. But .Org has found its niche as was intended , even taken-over the .info space.

the dot.Net really only had it's heyday when the Internet was still fresh and network configuration stuff was in its prime. Speculators then kept it in the public eye (well domainers eye) everything is NET related these days so it kind-off lost its appeal.

I'd think long and hard before registering a .net today. It would have to be something really and strongly associated with .net as an extension before I'd go there

•••
I think most old-hands have come to recognise the .net seems to be the poor relation these days. It was the .org in the early days of just the three domains. But .Org has found its niche as was intended , even taken-over the .info space.

the dot.Net really only had it's heyday when the Internet was still fresh and network configuration stuff was in its prime. Speculators then kept it in the public eye (well domainers eye) everything is NET related these days so it kind-off lost its appeal.

I'd think long and hard before registering a .net today. It would have to be something really and strongly associated with .net as an extension before I'd go there

It's a no brainer if you want to protect a brand

Register the .com .net .org and whatever country code you expect to do the business in.

Don't underestimate the .net a lot of people have made some serious coin on strong keywords.

Other than that the .net can be ignored in most cases. I personally only register it to protect a brand.

•••
Most probably not.

It's a no brainer if you want to protect a brand

I personally only register it to protect a brand.
Agreed. I try to register .net as part of brand protection but not willing purchase from someone

•••
•••
Thank you guys for your replies.
The domain I found is quite similar to viraltraffic.net .
Would you reg viraltraffic.net if it were available?

•••
•••
Nope. I've sold a few .nets in the past for mid XXX but they were single words and common. Unless it's super premium single word I wouldn't risk it.

•••
How long is a piece of string ?
Many sales are one of a kind and unlikely to repeat in another extension. I would not register a name that I couldn't personally use for some purpose.

•••
As others have mentioned .. .net is soft these days.

I actually see .net as the best tech related ngTLD .. which says 2 things at the same time ..

1) That it's one of the best alternatives out there ..
2) It's still comparable to ngTLD's ..

So when you take #2 into consideration, like .co's, I only go with single word or very strong single terms. ViralTraffic, while quite good, wouldn't be strong enough for me to get in .net (although admittedly it is good enough for me to think about it a few seconds before coming to that decision.

Not a horrible domain if you actually intend on using it .. but not enough risk:reward potential to buy as a re-seller hoping to make a profit.

Last edited:
•••
We are only finding short names having any value in .net - good luck!

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back