Dynadot

discuss Buy a .TV or not ?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

doofer

Top Member
Impact
Been thinking of investing in some .tv domains. It would seem there have been some impressive sales, mainly one word .tv's. Any thoughts ? Anyone had any decent sales ?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
There are random sales in any extension but like any non-.Com extension .TV is not the first choice for an end user. Renewals of close to $30 annually create a high hurdle for the investor. $10 renewals for .Com with 1% portfolio turn and 20% marketplace commissions means an investor needs a $1250 average sale just to have breakeven cash flow. That excludes acquisition costs and the fact that when SEDO last reported sales through its marketplace the average .COM sale was in the $600 range. When your renewals are three times higher but portfolio turn is lower, what average sales price do you need to break even? I would recommend against handregging .TV domains as it is highly likely you will be throwing away your money. There are occasional drops of decent keywords but again the demand is much lower than you might think. Now I still believe .TV makes sense for a video-oriented website. But I see a lot of YouTube channels which call themselves keyword TV but do not necessarily have the corresponding domain.

•••
•••
Been thinking of investing in some .tv domains. It would seem there have been some impressive sales, mainly one word .tv's. Any thoughts ? Anyone had any decent sales ?

The real question is why are you regging a .tv? Just to flip? It's far from being an outdated cctld, country codes are not outdated, I see .tv names on my channel line up everyday. Twitch is one of the biggest sites on the net and is on a .tv with even the .com redirecting to the .tv. But that is developed, and are you looking to develop?

There is always the handreg that gets lucky, but most good names get backordered. If you found a name you really liked then go ahead if you can afford it. I would not recommend handregging several .tv names, the ROI most likely will not be there unless you make an outlier sale.

The wholesale market or domainer to domainer was much better years ago when you could sell a name here for decent money based off it being a handreg. Today that is virtually non-existent, sure someone will buy your LL.tv cheap but in the past there were far more sales here.

If you are looking to hold one or two great names while being no guarantee of success, it's a better strategy then going out and handregging a dozen average names.

But there is no easy money out there in .tv. You are going to need patience if you decide to start participating in .tv.

•••
I would, but it would have to be something TV related. Sometimes you come up with a brandable .TV and that might be good for a new TV show, but its risky.

Shame they don't have 99 cent sales once a year. :-P

•••
I agree that a quality keyword in .tv has value and good resale characteristics.
So far in 2018 the NameBio database has 118 sales with $1453 average price.
In 2017 the corresponding figures were 185 sales at $2416 average price.
In 2016 the figures 221 sales with $1868 average price.
If you adjust the 2018 figure considering we are just in July, suggests a pretty stable number of sales per year over the last 3 years, but some indication of modestly dropping prices.

•••
Scanning the list of Namebio sales in recent months I would backorder perhaps 10-15% of those. Even some of the large sales like Guns.tv, Token.TV and Wallet.TV do not resolve - impressive use of a five-figure purchase. Checking several reported $xXxX sales, many are investor purchases or have no developed site.

Last edited:
•••
... impressive use of a five-figure purchase. .
LOL. Many of my $xxx outbound sales are done to clients who I know will never use them. I just convince them that they NEED them. I've sold good business-targetted .com domains for $300-500 that were dumped the next year. I don't care, I got paid. :xf.grin:

Last edited:
•••
I recently did an analysis of my historical sales across all extensions and found that fewer than 20% had a meaningfully-developed website. So most were either purchased by investors or unmotivated end users. In many cases they were subsequently dropped because HugE Domains had subsequently picked them up. However it would seem with $xXxX plus sales there would be more motivation to use the domain for a business.

•••
It is certainly not unique to the .tv extension that some big sales don't get used. I am constantly amazed that people pay substantial amounts and then don't use a name. Even the biggest sales seem more times than not under-used or not used at all for a substantial period of time. The article by James at link shows that of the biggest 10 domain sales, only 1 out of 8 .com are in active use yet (well 2 if you count a page that says what the website is going to be as an active use). Both ngTLDs are in use.

https://www.namepros.com/blog/top-10-sales-this-year-where-are-they-now.1088202/

How can people pay hundreds of thousands or millions and not use a domain promptly? Some companies and individuals have more money than initiative, but I guess it is good for domain sellers!

•••
Handregging in .TV will not work, and as for auctions, you will be competing against some very skilled individuals, who monitor this extension for years, and are making great sales for years. Chances that you will see something this competition does not see, is minimal. One has to be realistic here.

This is the reason why I went for new gTLD investments, instead of .TV (which I like btw very much, it makes much sense with some keywords) - I learned what the competition is and what my options are against .tv veterans, and I rules that out. Renewals for .TV are around 30, you can not reduce them, so this as investment will be in most cases negative, unless you have some exceptional brain skills to outsmart all this competition :) Also remember that all good names are already long time distributed between those veterans.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back