IT.COM

Build a new internet?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

DomainWolf

Established Member
Impact
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Let's ask @RichardHendricks

•••
Or, couldn't we just use a domain name and build our own website? And have complete control over our content?

The article makes it seems as if the Googles and Faceplant's control the web. They don't. Faceplant is a free social media platform, they don't owe anyone anything. Google is a search engine. We only use it so much because of the amount of data they've mined over the years has made getting the information we need very easy. Nobody is forcing us to use them, there are other search engines, just as there are other internet browsers.

•••
Or, couldn't we just use a domain name and build our own website? And have complete control over our content?

The article makes it seems as if the Googles and Faceplant's control the web. They don't. Faceplant is a free social media platform, they don't owe anyone anything. Google is a search engine. We only use it so much because of the amount of data they've mined over the years has made getting the information we need very easy. Nobody is forcing us to use them, there are other search engines, just as there are other internet browsers.
Having your own domain doesn't solve the problem of who owns your information or the transportation of the data for use with other applications.

It looks like the project is more about being able to use one's own data anywhere on any application and always owning it. Rather than getting siloed into a particular platform only because of the data you've already given it.

A interesting concept as long as it's not arduous.

•••
Thanks a lot for posting the article, @DomainWolf. Certainly Berners-Lee has the credentials and it sounds like some solid early venture backing to support it.

I found the article interesting, although still not exactly sure I understand it really. In a way I guess it is in the spirit of the decentralized apps (DAPPs) but does it go a step further in where the data is that they access? DAPPs have been big by others, and when I looked last year already all good domain names seemed taken :xf.frown: when I looked into adding some.

ps Not sure about SolidPods (at first did not realize Inrupt use the pods name). I think it is a versatile name for other types of pods however, like moving, coffee, shipping, storage, etc. BTW Pods is TM by a cube based moving company, so that would place some restrictions on possible use I guess, although it could mean so many other things too.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back