IT.COM

brel.com and bnn.com hijacked/domain theft/stolen - namesecure.com to GoDaddy

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Jessica Kung

Established Member
Impact
Dear netizens

Sorry to trouble you but we really need some help from you. Our two domains brel.com and bnn.com was hijacked - stolen on 17 Jan 2021. We only found out on 18 Jan 2021 as our mails, web and application servers are down.

A brief history here
1. Our two domains brel.com and bnn.com were hijacked by GoDaddy on 17 Jan 2021.
2. Both domains were registered in 1995 with Network Solutions. We transferred to namesecure.com in 2015 and paid them for 9 years. namesecure.com claimed that the domain authorised user made the transfer on 17 Jan 2021 to GoDaddy. We told namesecure.com that we didn't authorise this. namesecure.com said that they cannot restore the domains for us.
3. GoDaddy chat claimed that namesecure.com is their affiliate and ignored our requests to return the domains.
4. We had submitted a complaint form to ICANN, received an email with case id but is not sure on how to proceed with them.

Finally, after our persistence on forum (29 Jan 2021) GoDaddy provided the steps for us to restore our domains.
1. namesecure.com to create a case to file a transfer dispute.
2. namesecure.com support team to review unauthorized access to your account and request to file that transfer dispute action.
3. Once namesecure.com finds the transfer was in error, or unauthorized, namesecure.com to contact GoDaddy for the return of these two domains.

(30 Jan 2021) namesecure.com finally answered "We are still working on resolving your issue and will provide you an update as soon as possible."

We have not heard from namesecure.com since then.

(30 Jan 2021) someone posted at the forum that our two domains are sale at domainholdings.com. How can we prevent this?

We posted on tweeter, GoDaddy community forum, web hosting forum for help and some kind souls had replied us to get us so far. We are really very grateful to them.

We will be very very appreciative and grateful for any help...
Many thanks and stay safe,
Jessica

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
Did you have any second layer of security? Like Google auth app? I hope it was not only a username & a password. Even sms texts can get hacked.

I hope that you get back your domains, there are very valuable indeed, at least now NP community know when we see them for sale that they are stolen.

•••
Your domains were not stolen in 2021 but in 2018.

The thief was interested in BNN.com and hijacked Brel.com to get to it. Your company is also linked to ASZ.com correct?

Read this thread.

•••
Did you have any second layer of security? Like Google auth app? I hope it was not only a username & a password. Even sms texts can get hacked..

I haven't used NetSol in several years, but last I knew they didn't support 2fa. Has that changed?

•••
=

(30 Jan 2021) someone posted at the forum that our two domains are sale at domainholdings.com. How can we prevent this?
Jessica

Have you contacted Domain Holdings to inform them that the domains are stolen property?

Last edited:
•••
Sorry to hear about those two domains. You should continue to work with NameSecure and escalate the issue with them if they will not respond. I would also contact Domain Holdings, as well.

You can also report the domain names stolen at DNProtect.com, as we have an alert system and a database of stolen domain names.

•••
I haven't used NetSol in several years, but last I knew they didn't support 2fa. Has that changed?
As far as I know, nope. I only use them when I win a domain via namejet, to transfer them away, not a big fan.

•••
Sorry to hear about those two domains. You should continue to work with NameSecure and escalate the issue with them if they will not respond. I would also contact Domain Holdings, as well.

You can also report the domain names stolen at DNProtect.com, as we have an alert system and a database of stolen domain names.

you can buy ads to promote, don't hijack people's thread please

•••
Your company is also linked to ASZ.com correct?

Jess, what, if anything, is the relationship of your company to the domain name asz.com?

On 10 January 2018, the WHOIS for Brel.com is:

Screen Shot 2021-02-01 at 4.05.14 PM.png

On 23 January 2018, it changes to:

Screen Shot 2021-02-01 at 4.05.26 PM.png

•••
I am sorry that you had your domain names stolen. I hope you are able to get them back quickly. As stated above it is probably best to work with your registrar to help recover the domains. It looks to me like NameSecure.com is not related to GoDaddy but has a web.com relationship. I get that from the whois for the domain saying it is at web.com and the website about us page pointing to web.com and the fact that the website itself does not resemble a GoDaddy reseller. If I am mistaken and there is something I have overlooked please let me know so I can look into it.

•••
@Joe Styler

Can you tell me why you are washing your hands of this? Unless my eyes are failing me, the alleged thief brought the names to his/her Godaddy account, as the name brel.com is currently in the possession of godaddy....same for bnn.com

hmmm...

....Basically, a car was alleged to have been stolen. And, now, it is parked in your garage.

Last edited:
•••
@Acroplex

Why do you say stolen in 2018?

Owner: Lam, Wei Ying
Company: Brel Software Pte Ltd
Geolocation: Singapore, Singapore, Singapore
Nameservers: ns1.xpertdns.com, ns2.xpertdns.com, ns3.xpertdns.com, ns4.xpertdns.com

4 DEC 2019
Owner: Wei Ying Lam
Nameservers: ns1.xpertdns.com, ns2.xpertdns.com, ns3.xpertdns.com, ns4.xpertdns.com
Status: clientDeleteProhibited, clientRenewProhibited, clientTransferProhibited, clientUpdateProhibited

12 AUG 2020
Status: clientDeleteProhibited, clientRenewProhibited, clientTransferProhibited, clientUpdateProhibited

•••
@Acroplex

Why do you say stolen in 2018?

4 DEC 2019
Owner: Wei Ying Lam

12 AUG 2020
Excuse him, he doesn't know much about these things and just acts like he does by making up stuff on the fly.

Last edited:
•••
@lambo.com

Really confused here. What do you have to do with this? Why do you has asz.com under your name?

Email: support at asz.com
Nameservers:
ns1.xpertdns.com, ns2.xpertdns.com, ns3.xpertdns.com, ns4.xpertdns.com

Last edited:
•••
@lambo.com
Really confused here. What do you have to do with this? Why do you has asz.com under your name?
ASZ.com is my domain name. What do you have to do with this?

•••
ASZ.com is my domain name. What do you have to do with this?
The last owner of brel.com had an email of support at asz.com - as shown in my post above

•••
The last owner of brel.com had an email of support at asz.com - as shown in my post above

AND YOU ARE NOT THE OP.

Is this a game?

Last edited:
•••
AND YOU ARE NOT THE OP.

Is this a game?

Maybe @Joe Styler shouldn't get involved until you and the OP explain what is going on - with you both having an association to the asz.com name

Last edited:
•••

sorry, I'm not offering support services and don't have that email set up now.

•••
Careful all. Be very careful with your responses. We are watching...

•••
@Joe Styler

Can you tell me why you are washing your hands of this? Unless my eyes are failing me, the alleged thief brought the names to his/her Godaddy account, as the name brel.com is currently in the possession of godaddy....same for bnn.com

hmmm...

....Basically, a car was alleged to have been stolen. And, now, it is parked in your garage.
If your domains are stolen you need to work with your registrar, the one you paid to register the domains with not the current place that has the domains, then they contact the registrar it transferred to on your behalf. There are agreements in place with many registrars to unwind bad transfers and procedures for doing so. This is the typically the fastest, easiest, and least expensive route to recovering your domain name(s).
You can contact us directly via our legal tab and you would probably want an attorney to help you with things which is not a bad option especially if you have exhausted the first option but it is typically, longer, more complex, and more expensive to recover a domain that way. @jberryhill has already commented on the thread and he can speak to the specifics of using an attorney if he wishes.

My answer is an attempt to give the OP what I have seen in my experience to be the most expedient path forward in recovering stolen domains and to clear up any misunderstanding around the allegation that GoDaddy hijacked the domains or that we have any affiliation with the original registrar as a reseller.

Last edited:
•••
you can buy ads to promote, don't hijack people's thread please

Be a mod! Respectfully disagree.
People presenting trying find solutions.
i like, there was work, and IS work being done. But youre content. You care if happens again? Glad someone keeping track, and it’s sad that this kind of thing still happens. epik has never lost a domain fyi, -Trust epik; Go DNProtect!
If your domains are stolen you need to work with your registrar, the one you paid to register the domains with not the current place that has the domains, then they contact the registrar it transferred to on your behalf. There are agreements in place with many registrars to unwind bad transfers and procedures for doing so. This is the typically the fastest, easiest, and least expensive route to recovering your domain name(s).
You can contact us directly via our legal tab and you would probably want an attorney to help you with things which is not a bad option especially if you have exhausted the first option but it is typically, longer, more complex, and more expensive to recover a domain that way. @jberryhill has already commented on the thread and he can speak to the specifics of using an attorney if he wishes.

My answer is an attempt to give the OP what I have seen in my experience to be the most expedient path forward in recovering stolen domains and to clear up any misunderstanding around the allegation that GoDaddy hijacked the domains or that we have any affiliation with the original registrar as a reseller.

The problem is never heard of this registrar;
“Namesecure.com” Not a good way find out about them... As always, thank you for your participation @Joe Styler keep us updated OP!

Last edited:
•••
» EMAIL support @ asz dot com

NUM DOMAIN NAME REGISTRAR CREATED UPDATED EXPIRY

1 brel dot com NameSecure L.L.C. 13 Jun 1995 18 Jan 2018 12 Jun 2025

2 bnn dot com NameSecure L.L.C. 12 Jun 1995 18 Jan 2018 11 Jun 2024

3 asz dot com GoDaddy, LLC 14 Oct 1998 24 Dec 2013 13 May 2023

@lambo - what gives with the association?

•••
» EMAIL support @ asz dot com

NUM DOMAIN NAME REGISTRAR CREATED UPDATED EXPIRY

1 brel dot com NameSecure L.L.C. 13 Jun 1995 18 Jan 2018 12 Jun 2025

2 bnn dot com NameSecure L.L.C. 12 Jun 1995 18 Jan 2018 11 Jun 2024

3 asz dot com GoDaddy, LLC 14 Oct 1998 24 Dec 2013 13 May 2023

@lambo - what gives with the association?
As I already told you, I'm not offering support services and the email is bogus.

Beyond that, I don't have any knowledge on the aforementioned.

•••
Back