Domain Empire
Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
hello

I am new to BrandBucket. Before getting my hands on this

I wish to experience about brandbucket from my fellow members

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Nope...I saw it and have no idea. It is a good question. My guess is it would go to the domain seller. I don't know if anyone ever takes the $5 even, maybe nobody ever did?

•••
Imo it's obvious that BB get's the $100, how would the seller get it if we never even knew that this possibility for the designer even exist?

•••

I recently purchased a large portfolio. FWIW I was willing to pay a % of my expected return, and I worked out the expected return as:

#domains * sales rate * average NET sales amount

In your case I think the expected return would be 24 * 2% * $1,445 = $694. If someone paid that amount they could expect on average to only break even. In my case I paid a % of my expected return as I'm not interested in breaking even on the purchase.

I'm not suggesting that the valuation is what everyone should use, but it's based on real sales figures, and what I feel is now an appropriate sales rate for large portfolios. Of course there may be far higher sales rates in the case of great names (or luck), but it's rare that names offered at wholesale are the best out there.

You may find someone willing to pay $200 per name, and I wish you luck with that. If you do find someone, and they are also interested in buying 700+ names please send them my details (seriously).

•••
When names are published, do we receive statistics on traffic? (ie - visits, clicks, etc?)

I track all my traffic before it lands on BB, so at least I have some idea of the type-in/direct traffic I am passing to them.

•••
If I set logo to $100 and the designer decided to get $5 upfront. Who keeps the $100 for the designer? BB ?

Thats a very good question! Would like to know the answer to that one.

•••
I track all my traffic before it lands on BB, so at least I have some idea of the type-in/direct traffic I am passing to them.

What stats program / service are you using? Google Analytics or a DIY method?

•••
If we receive a substantial offer on a name, we will reach out to the seller, let you know the offer, and give you our suggestion moving forward. We do our best to keep negotiations to a minimum.

When is an offer substantial? Is it when the offer falls within a certain percentage range of the listing price? If so, what is the percentage range in which an offer is considered substantial enough to be communicated to the owner of the name?

•••
When is an offer substantial? Is it when the offer falls within a certain percentage range of the listing price? If so, what is the percentage range in which an offer is considered substantial enough to be communicated to the owner of the name?
Doron-you're 100% correct. That's why in real estate the offer in most states by law must be presented no matter what it is or how low.That BB wants to keep the communication down to as little as possible I don't understand at all. What happens if you don't see the BB offer-a year later you drop the name because it hasn't sold and the client calls back BB looking for that name-does BB then go and buy and hand reg. it themselves or do they call you as the previous owner and tell you to reg. it again? If not if they-BB-don't call the previous owner that listed it with them then these names are a "forever hold" and that cost BB nothing. All offers should be presented.

•••
What is the attraction for you listing your domains there?

1. There's almost 20k domains listed so odds are your domain is not being seen as it is pages and pages deep.
2. They charge 30% commission and you have to pay a designer $100-$200 as well.
3. They determine the price you can list the domain for. If they want to make more sales then them picking a lower price will accomplish that so you could say they may have motivation to set lower prices.
4. You are granting them exclusivity (so no listing the domain anywhere else) and you need to put their landing page on your site. If someone direct navigates to your domain URL and they buy the domain you just gave away 30% + $200 for a sale that your domain generated and not them, so handing them free money.

Am I missing anything here? I'd love to be in their position and would hate to be in all of yours with these rules.

•••
Here's some blunt calculations that put the brandable domain marketplace in perspective a little.

The (very) approximate chance of selling a single domain in any given month is 1 in 500, based on 2.4% annual conversion.

For a small seller with 10 domains that makes your chance of a sale in any month 10 in 500 or 1 in 50. This equates to selling 1 domain every 50 months.

Assuming you hand register the domains, your minimum dollar expenditure at start point is $80 for 10 domains, and $100 for BB listing fees. Add renewal fees for each of the 4 years after that and you've got another $320 in costs.

So you need to spend $500 and wait 50 months to make a potential sale of perhaps only $1000 after BB fees and logos. And that doesn't even consider the fees spent on acquiring domains or BB-rejected domains.

Not quite the lucrative ROI that it appears on the surface.

•••
What stats program / service are you using? Google Analytics or a DIY method?

I use Piwik.org to set a cookie on the redirects. Note you cant do this if you use BB DNS - it only works if you are handling your own DNS and forwarding your domains to their BB sales pages.

•••
What is the attraction for you listing your domains there?

1. There's almost 20k domains listed so odds are your domain is not being seen as it is pages and pages deep.
2. They charge 30% commission and you have to pay a designer $100-$200 as well.
3. They determine the price you can list the domain for. If they want to make more sales then them picking a lower price will accomplish that so you could say they may have motivation to set lower prices.
4. You are granting them exclusivity (so no listing the domain anywhere else) and you need to put their landing page on your site. If someone direct navigates to your domain URL and they buy the domain you just gave away 30% + $200 for a sale that your domain generated and not them, so handing them free money.

Am I missing anything here? I'd love to be in their position and would hate to be in all of yours with these rules.

I think the attraction is a slightly better closing rate than without. If you are selling true brandables, not keyword brandables, then it is very unlikely someone will ever just find your domain. Having them on a place with a reputation for supplying names is a bit better. And while you can't list the domains anywhere else, you can still do outbound marketing and talk to people. If you get a sale just do the deal and tell BB you are removing it. As for commissions, that's all relative as I just raise the price i'm willing to take to cover commissions, no different than GoDaddy or Sedo in that regard. For me, its just one more outlet and the more eyes I get on a domain, the sooner it sells.

•••
Doron-you're 100% correct. That's why in real estate the offer in most states by law must be presented no matter what it is or how low.That BB wants to keep the communication down to as little as possible I don't understand at all. What happens if you don't see the BB offer-a year later you drop the name because it hasn't sold and the client calls back BB looking for that name-does BB then go and buy and hand reg. it themselves or do they call you as the previous owner and tell you to reg. it again? If not if they-BB-don't call the previous owner that listed it with them then these names are a "forever hold" and that cost BB nothing. All offers should be presented.

Transparency............

•••
Here's some blunt calculations that put the brandable domain marketplace in perspective a little.

The (very) approximate chance of selling a single domain in any given month is 1 in 500, based on 2.4% annual conversion.

For a small seller with 10 domains that makes your chance of a sale in any month 10 in 500 or 1 in 50. This equates to selling 1 domain every 50 months.

Assuming you hand register the domains, your minimum dollar expenditure at start point is $80 for 10 domains, and $100 for BB listing fees. Add renewal fees for each of the 4 years after that and you've got another $320 in costs.

So you need to spend $500 and wait 50 months to make a potential sale of perhaps only $1000 after BB fees and logos. And that doesn't even consider the fees spent on acquiring domains or BB-rejected domains.

Not quite the lucrative ROI that it appears on the surface.
This is a post (above by JRayers) EVERYONE should read and wake up to the fact that there will soon be 20,000 names on BrandBucket and "JRayers" has put it all out for all of us to be able to make an informed decision and in my opinion a great post by JRayers for Michael Krell to comment on if he would.

•••
We will definitely reach out to a seller if an offer comes in within 20% of the listing price.. We can also reach out to the seller before a real offer has been made if we are dealing with a serious buyer to see if the seller is willing to take a discount.

FYI - 90%+ of our names sell at listing price.

•••
We will definitely reach out to a seller if an offer comes in within 20% of the listing price.. We can also reach out to the seller before a real offer has been made if we are dealing with a serious buyer to see if the seller is willing to take a discount.

FYI - 90%+ of our names sell at listing price.
Michael-thank you for posting that 90% figure. Now what about the sales ratio now with almost 20,000 names as compared to what it was with 1500 names-that's the number everyone really is looking for-and if you don't have it for 20,000 names yet-how about at 15,000 names listed? As I've mentioned if the ratio is the same now as it was at 1500 names there's really no issue at all. Also-please respond to JRayers very thoughtful post above when you get time. Thank you.

•••
•••
•••

giphy.gif

•••
•••
For those that think the logos on BB are to simple, take a look at this site and see what happens when logos aren't kept simple. http://brandfishing.com/product-category/top-categories/99-domains/ I can't even read some of these names because of the logo.

Ouch my eyes!
That guy uses the same font and its impossible to read.

BB logos are 90% of the time just fine. I read M. Krell's blog and he posts a lot of names that he sold. When I revisit these sites, none of them are using BB logo.

So the logo does not have to be super elaborate. No matter what, the company buying the names will always use their own logos that fits their website design.

Last edited:
•••
Michael Krell-I had posted before but you might not have seen it-any chance that BB will start to take .xyz in the future in light of the recent Google news? There's lots of great names in that extension available. Thank you.

•••
Wow .. after a slump of 1 approved in 28, today I just got 6 approved from my last 14 submitted.

All 6 are invented or derived words. None of my 2-word have been approved for a very long time.
All under 2$K, the highest is $1995 for : hivvo.com

•••
Wow .. after a slump of 1 approved in 28, today I just got 6 approved from my last 14 submitted.

All 6 are invented or derived words. None of my 2-word have been approved for a very long time.
All under 2$K, the highest is $1995 for : hivvo.com

In addition to my post, a bit of stats:
4 of 6 were 5-letter names.
Longest is 8-letter : Nutripax

I guess I should concentrate on submitting shorter names.

•••
In addition to my post, a bit of stats:
4 of 6 were 5-letter names.
Longest is 8-letter : Nutripax

I guess I should concentrate on submitting shorter names.
Obviously they were great names if you got 50% approved. See you were just in a slump like the Red Sox-they're not out yet.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back