IT.COM

Brand new members post Domain Wanted then vanish ?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Hi I am curious about something I have seen several times, I just wonder if other members have thoughts about this.

Sometimes someone joins and creates a first thread saying they are looking for a domain. Then they disappear. Did they buy a domain? Were they window shopping? Or had they seen a domain on a marketplace and hoped to get it at reseller price via NP?

There is nothing wrong with this but I am a bit careful replying to those threads, usually I put a time limit on my price. One domain I posted in a PM on one such thread is suddenly getting visits on Sedo. Coincidence?

I'd find it interesting if threads that advertise for domains could if they wanted show their status to Domain Found or even Domain(s) Purchased.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Hi I am curious about something I have seen several times, I just wonder if other members have thoughts about this.

Sometimes someone joins and creates a first thread saying they are looking for a domain. Then they disappear. Did they buy a domain? Were they window shopping? Or had they seen a domain on a marketplace and hoped to get it at reseller price via NP?

There is nothing wrong with this but I am a bit careful replying to those threads, usually I put a time limit on my price. One domain I posted in a PM on one such thread is suddenly getting visits on Sedo. Coincidence?

I'd find it interesting if threads that advertise for domains could if they wanted show their status to Domain Found.
Thanks, for sharing. BTW, I will also implement time limit, thanks!

•••
I'd find it interesting if threads that advertise for domains could if they wanted show their status to Domain Found or even Domain(s) Purchased.
Good idea. We hope and prefer that buyers will close their threads once they found what they're looking for, but some new members have trouble doing that. Changing the prefix of a thread is more complicated than closing it, so they probably wouldn't be able to figure that out either. It might help if we add a big button that says "Close Request" to help out with this. I've added it to our suggestions list.

If anyone notices a request thread (WTB) that has the buyer vanish, please report it so we can close it.

Thanks,

•••
HI @Eric Lyon thanks for your reply.

I was wondering what "Account Auto-Closed" status means? Does that mean the person got banned or does it mean they closed their own account? Maintaining quality in these WTB threads makes people more likely to reply with serious offers of domains to sell, so I'd say it's worth the effort.

•••
•••
I often have the feeling that 'buyers' are fishing for ideas.

•••
I have other kind of experience with new buyers. I constantly have some open threads with some domains for sale. I had 4 names in the last three months for which a new buyer, who opened an account just a few minutes before sending me a pm for a certain domain and after the sale is done, you will never see that new member having any other activity on namepros. So, I'm thinking that they are just end users, they are looking for a certain name on google an they find the thread thru google search and try to buy a name at reseller price. Last time, I have refused to sell two geo names to a new member, just because he opened that account with 10 minutes before that and he wanted to pay 10$ than what I was asking for...that user never came back on namepros since .

•••

Yes I do too - which is another reason it would be interesting to let a thread show if it actually resulted in a purchase.

•••
There is nothing wrong with this but I am a bit careful replying to those threads, usually I put a time limit on my price. One domain I posted in a PM on one such thread is suddenly getting visits on Sedo. Coincidence

It is no coincidence. This has happened to me as well.
I really like your idea of being a bit careful replying to such threads (y)

Yes, you're right. At times, some members would disguise themselves as serious buyers and would open a new thread requesting for domains (but in truth, they are only fishing for ideas) :xf.smile: and some might end up buying one or two domains in low prices and say that they have purchased a few and still looking for more (ideas).

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back