Domain Empire

discuss "bothy" - a legitimate word or slang?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

ThatNameGuy

Top Member
Impact
Any NP members from the UK know what a "bothy" is? Recently I was asked by a friend to register a 2 word domain XxxxBothy.com, and since it was available i registered it. Since researching the word/term i see where it may be considered "slang", but I only saw a single reference to that.

After learning more about it, I've registered about a dozen 2 word domains using "bothy", and even a single word domain with a popular extension that had been registered continually for 25 years.

Finally, any thoughts from across the pond regarding a "bothy"? Is it considered slang, or is it a word worthy of consideration. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
At my young 68 years of age I've never heard of it spoken in conversation or as a reference. So no recognition from me. However I do believe it is a Sir name (last name) probably from Old English.

Many references to the word in Scottish history as a Mountainside dwelling or shelter. (Plural, Bothies) So the name use probably originates from the keepers of such.

Putting two and two together to make five. I wouldn't be surprised if it isn't a slang reference to 'Remoteness' in character or something similar.

Last edited:
•••
Anyone who likes Irish trad music should know of The Bothy Band. I think my parents still have one of their LPs.

•••
It seems to be a legitimate word but mostly used in Scotland, Ireland, Northumberland and rarely in other parts of the world, as per DuckDuckGo search.

•••
That all makes sense given the terrain of these areas, So not old English , In the main old Scottish/Irish

The etymology of the word bothy is uncertain. Suggestions include a relation to both "hut" as in Irish bothán and Scottish Gaelic bothan or bothag;[2] a corruption of the Welsh term bwthyn, also meaning small cottage; and a derivation from Norse būð, cognate with English booth with a diminutive ending. *Copied From Wikipedia

Last edited:
•••
It seems to be a legitimate word but mostly used in Scotland, Ireland, Northumberland and rarely in other parts of the world, as per DuckDuckGo search.
Thanks Leo....the more i dig into it, the more i learn. I especially like the pronunciation of the word bothy. The cool thing about bothies is that they're free. Here's a Youtube video on a bothy in Scotland and if the narrator comes with this bothy, i'm in:xf.wink:

Any ideas on how to develop or monetize a bothy domain. Thanks

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back