Life is short. Get up and make yours better. ChimpTop Member
Impact
I just saw a tv ads from Booking.com.
Booking.com
Booking.yeah!

But .yeah is not a tld lol

It reminds me the sony slogan.
Make.believe

It looks like that I see .whatever everywhere! Sometimes its.mistakes and sometimes not. If you want people to hunderstand that its a website you should use an extension not a word lol.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
This might mean that Brands are going to use .GTLDs to refresh their image and stop using the boring old fashioned .Com

But I think they did not mean Booking.yeah to be a domain name

•••
This might mean that Brands are going to use .GTLDs to refresh their image and stop using the boring old fashioned .Com

But I think they did not mean Booking.yeah to be a domain name

hahaha for the first part. Let's throw away what's been working for many years, all the money spent advertising and let's try a new gtld so we don't appear boring to some domainers that have "invested" in new gtlds.

A marketing campaign where you have people typing in a url that doesn't exist, I guess hahaha for that as well. There should have been 1 person in that meeting to bring that problem up.

•••
Booking.yeah don't working for me..
I predict new TLD .YEAH!

•••
hahaha for the first part. Let's throw away what's been working for many years, all the money spent advertising and let's try a new gtld so we don't appear boring to some domainers that have "invested" in new gtlds.

A marketing campaign where you have people typing in a url that doesn't exist, I guess hahaha for that as well. There should have been 1 person in that meeting to bring that problem up.

I like the nGTLDs because short memorable keywords are still cheap.

If I'm running a radio station at jazz [dot] radio with a chat room at jazz [dot] chat - that is a lot easier for mobile users to type into their browsers than TodaysJazzRadio [dot] com and UltimateJazzChat [dot] com.

.com is nice to have but I would rather have a short domain name on a ngTLD than a funky multi-word .com - and sorry, but not everyone with an idea they want to monetize has the budget domainers want for memorable dot.com's - I'd rather put that money into advertising and marketing where it will earn me a measurable return. There's no easy way to measure the return of an expensive dot.com over a less expensive ngTLD.

•••

If I'm running a radio station at jazz [dot] radio with a chat room at jazz [dot] chat - that is a lot easier for mobile users to type into their browsers than TodaysJazzRadio [dot] com and UltimateJazzChat [dot] com.

.com is nice to have but I would rather have a short domain name on a ngTLD than a funky multi-word .com - and sorry, but not everyone with an idea they want to monetize has the budget domainers want for memorable dot.com's - I'd rather put that money into advertising and marketing where it will earn me a measurable return. There's no easy way to measure the return of an expensive dot.com over a less expensive ngTLD.

That's an old tired argument that with .com, they all have to be super long. What makes you think somebody who wants jazz.radio can even get it? Those premium keywords are hard to get as well. Can be registry reserved, snapped up early etc. An end user will be paying a pretty price for those as well.

There's no easy way to measure the return of an expensive dot.com over a less expensive ngTLD.

There are actually some stats, charts etc. posted around this forum about higher click rates and things like that, things that add up over time. Your idea above is short term thinking, only considering how much you're paying for a domain now.

Last edited:
•••
Let me give an example. keyword is what I'm interested in.

keywordBlog dot com was active through mid 2009 according to archive.org. It was a mediocre site. In 2009 it stopped being updated. In 2010 it changed hands, into the hands of a domainer. I suspect the domainer picked it up as a dropcatch.

For the past 5 years, it has been for sale for $1200. The domainer isn't lowering the price, and why should they? They probably have spent less than $100 maintaining it.

But why would I want to spend $1200 on keywordBlog dot com when there is a good chance I can pick up keyword dot blog for $25 a year? Is the $1,000 + price difference really worth it, or would that $1,000 be better put to use in advertising?

I have already picked up 7 keyword.ngTLD's - only came across two that are premium, which I did not pick up because they are premium.

keyword dot com is not for sale and keyword dot net is $20,000.

That's why I am interested in the ngTLDs - most of which I initially hated the idea of.

Domainers have a right to squat, but the high prices they want are what is driving many to the ngTLDs.

•••
But why would I want to spend $1200 on keywordBlog dot com when there is a good chance I can pick up keyword dot blog for $25 a year? Is the $1,000 + price difference really worth it, or would that $1,000 be better put to use in advertising?

That you don't understand that, means you don't understand marketing, long term etc. All this stuff you're bringing up, has been gone over to death in previous threads on the subject. If you just care about search engines and nothing else, ok. But if you're serious, then you consider everything and realize that $1175 difference is well worth it.

This is just one of those threads I'm talking about, with posted chart

https://www.namepros.com/threads/why-new-gtlds-exist.854553/#post-4835105

Last edited:
•••
That you don't understand that, means you don't understand marketing, long term etc. All this stuff you're bringing up, has been gone over to death in previous threads on the subject. If you just care about search engines and nothing else, ok. But if you're serious, then you consider everything and realize that $1175 difference is well worth it.

This is just one of those threads I'm talking about, with posted chart

https://www.namepros.com/threads/why-new-gtlds-exist.854553/#post-4835105

The Internet is full of failed businesses that had really good .com domain names.

It is not having a good .com domain name that makes or breaks a business on the web.

Having a memorable domain name is very valuable, and that is why a lot of the ngTLDs are attractive.

.com is memorable because for years that is all there was.

.radio is memorable because it is radio, and having a memorable short domain name is important because of mobile devices.

Hell, one of the industries I frequent - I made short memorable domains for it myself on .rocks because .rocks was cheap and even when I remembered the long URLs my fat fingers frequently mis-typed them on a mobile device. And I'm not alone.

I'm not saying .com is dead, but I do think a new era is coming in where there will be a lot of value in gTLDs that are related to the content. Look at the success of .io in tech startups.

•••
btw - the booking.yeah commercial does show how an effective marketing campaign can be run around something other than .com - and the fact they are paying some ISPs to resolve booking.yeah shows there is value in that TLD for marketing even though it doesn't exist in the ICANN root servers.

Think about it - the only thing dot.com has going for it is history. Absolutely nothing technical makes it better than the others, only hype and history. Marketing can change hype and create new history.

•••
btw - the booking.yeah commercial does show how an effective marketing campaign can be run around something other than .com - and the fact they are paying some ISPs to resolve booking.yeah shows there is value in that TLD for marketing even though it doesn't exist in the ICANN root servers.

Think about it - the only thing dot.com has going for it is history. Absolutely nothing technical makes it better than the others, only hype and history. Marketing can change hype and create new history.

Wow. Did you actually watch any of the commercials? It is run on .com. The .yeah is stupid. It's not resolving for most people, it's not for me. A lot of people have no clue of marketing/consumer behavior.

"The Internet is full of failed businesses that had really good .com domain names."

Yeah, also the biggest sites on the internet. Let me know when that happens with your .rocks.

Again, all the stuff you just posted has already been taken apart in other threads. You've only been here 1 month, you're not saying anything new.

"Marketing can change hype and create new history."

And which new gtld is going to do that exactly? When most are niche and the generic ones suck to this point. None of them is competition to .com, that's on another level. Second rate extensions compete with other second rate extensions.

Last edited:
•••
I'm not saying .com should be avoided when you have the budget for them, but just that ngTLDs are going to be seen as a solution to the problem of the saturated .com namespace, just as is happening with .io in tech.

Another user here just registered 415.party - I'm from SFBA and grew up in 415 until it got too crowded and those across the bay became 510. At that point, those who lived on the SF Peninsula and still had 415 phone numbers became very snobbish about it, 415 became a status symbol.

415.party thus has a LOT of potential and he got it for free - a domain with that kind of potential in .com would cost a lot more, and maybe not even be as marketable as 415.party.

A party company very likely would still have a .com website but it wouldn't have to a premium one, because they have 415.party for their marketing purposes - even if the 415.party just redirected.

Another company I sometimes give advice to (sometimes taken, sometimes ignored) - they do a lot of marketing on Twitter and on Radio. They have a .com site that is 17 letters including the .com. Radio listeners have had trouble spelling it and in twitter they often use bit dot ly to reduce the length.

The company name is 3 initials. I suggested they get the LLL.ngtld that is available - it would be shorter than the bit dot ly link they currently use in Twitter, show their company brand in the tweets, and is easy for radio listeners to type into a browser. The ngtld is very descriptive of the site purpose too, which .com is not.

I did not recommend they replace their current dot.com but rather, have the LLL.ngtld redirect to it.

They could do the same thing by buying LLL.com but that would be extremely expensive, especially since it is a specific LLL.

short dot.com names are expensive, very expensive. short gTLD names can be if premium but very often are memorable and cheap. Even if they just redirect to a longer dot.com.

And as they are used more and and more in places like twitter, the value of dot.com will drop because people will get accustomed to URLs that end in other things.

The dot.com namespace is crowded, that caused the value of good dot.com to rise, and it had risen to the point where alternatives make a lot of sense.

•••
btw just to be clear, I have a lot of misgivings about the ngTLDs.

both .theater and .theatre, both .website and .web, and many more confusingly similar strings. That's a serious problem and one that ICANN needs to stop creating.

•••
both .theater and .theatre, both .website and .web, and many more confusingly similar strings. That's a serious problem and one that ICANN needs to stop creating.
I agree my friend, but they aren't listening.

We already have TLDs like:
PICTURES
PICS
PHOTO
PHOTOS
PHOTOGRAPHY

It's crazy.
Confusion is going to be a problem, even if people remember the right of the dot part.
If you have a .photo you should probably own the matching .photos and .photography maybe. Thus you spend even more money on defensive registrations.

I think registrants are shooting themselves in the foot here.

•••
Yes, I'm staying away from the photography related gTLDs.

It would be harsh and cause a lot of anger but if I was dictator or the Internet I would bite the bullet now and consolidate them into one gTLD - .photo probably.

•••
Booking have been using this TV ad in the UK for a few years now. I now wonder whether there could be some confusion as the g's are entering the public domain.

•••
Do you really believe that there's more than...30% of non-technical consumers that believe there is any other TLD's than com/org/net ?

T.

•••
Do you really believe that there's more than...30% of non-technical consumers that believe there is any other TLD's than com/org/net ?

T.

Doesn't matter what they believe now, it's what they hear and the links the click.

and yes, I suspect more than 30% of Internet users have seen things like no_url_shorteners.

•••
Doesn't matter what they believe now, it's what they hear and the links the click.

and yes, I suspect more than 30% of Internet users have seen things like no_url_shorteners.

I agree with the first part, but the average net user doesn't look at the end of a url, or care about it, or know anything about it for that matter, lived with my girlfriend for 6 years, she still thinks a TLD is an STD.

•••
I agree with the first part, but the average net user doesn't look at the end of a url, or care about it, or know anything about it for that matter, lived with my girlfriend for 6 years, she still thinks a TLD is an STD.

How many STDs she think you have? :)

•••

between .com, .net, .edu, .gov, .org - even non techie users know the last part of a FQDN is important.

•••
This ad baffled confused me.

•••

1 .com or .xyz = Anything on one website. With the new web templates it's just too easy to switch from /chat to /blog...

PremiumKeywords.whyitssolong are all taken. There is a .com button on any mobile device that it makes it easyer to type an web address.

I don't like the idea of buying more than one .whyitssolong at about $30 to 55k a year (premium..) for one website...

I think they are great for advertisment like in the old days with "Go visit www.keywordbrand.com/thedeal"

Right now there is a huge demand for 5 and 6 letter brandable .com and they are selling for less than 3k (save tones of money on narketting..).

I just sold OLime.com last week.

•••
A lot of mobile devices don't have a .com button. I think the default android keyboard use to, but I haven't seen .com button on any of my android devices in some time.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back