NameSilo

Booking.com case picked up by Supreme Court

Labeled as news in Legal Discussion started by sarah.kate, Nov 8, 2019 at 9:07 PM.

Replies:
Views:

1. sarah.kate

sarah.kate Established Member

The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
  2. KTC

KTC Established Member

Oh, Richmond. Never change. 😑

Thank you for sharing this article!

3. Sutruk

Sutruk Established Member

Thank you for sharing the link. It was interesting to read it!

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019 at 2:55 AM
  4. HappyW

HappyW Owner of NamesMaker.com Gold Account

This is not the first case. I once mentioned in NP answering other threads that trademark+com will be able to apply for a trademark for brand protection.It has been successfully implemented in China 3 years ago.but i think this report will be very beneficial for top-level domains, which will reduce the barriers from buyers.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019 at 3:28 AM
  5. vikki88

vikki88 Established Member

6. Soofi

Soofi Top Member PRO VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

Worth it, on how to secure your brand investments in TLDs imo

7. HappyW

HappyW Owner of NamesMaker.com Gold Account

TLDs has only investment and communication properties and no brand attributes.IMO

8. netlas

netlas Established Member

Don't understand the argument, perhaps someone can tell me why BOOKING.COM shouldn't be able to secure a trademark on "BOOKING.COM"?

It includes ".com", so the generic argument is out the window...

To me, that's like saying you can't trademark BOOKINGGBEWUVGWUG because it include "GBEWUVGWUG" after it.

9. Sutruk

I have to admit that at first reading, I thought they registered the trademark for the "Booking" word. But after reading more carefully, AND after looking at their US trademarks, I see that they have the trademarks for "Booking.com".
    I think this is totally legit, because the trademark is clearly limited to their domain "Booking.com" and not for the generic word "Booking".

The funniest part of all this, is that a chinese company registered a trademark at the United States Patent and Trademark Office for the word "Booking" and it was accepted in 2018...

10. netlas

netlas Established Member

The only issue with these trademarks I can see is if someone registers a .com trademark for a domain they don't own.

11. MTB

MTB Established Member

Excellent point

12. sarah.kate

sarah.kate Established Member

My concern is what might happen to the owners of FlightBooking.com, HotelBooking.com, TripBooking.com etc. etc. if "booking.com" is granted a trademark. Will those domains suddenly be infringing?

13. Sutruk

I don't see any concern. The trademark is only for "booking.com" NOT for "FlightBooking.com" "HotelBooking.com" nor "TripBooking.com".

14. Sutruk

If someone registers a .com trademark for a domain they don't own, that would be simply not a valid Trademark.
    You cannot register a Trademark for something you don't own, and hoping to be a valid one.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2019 at 3:10 PM
  15. DpakH

DpakH Upgraded Member Blue Account

Trademark is like a magnet in internet space.
    The domain that has been registered today merely may not be free from the trademark issue.
    There is a probability that someone may apply a trademark for the word in the future.
    Just my opinion

Thanks
    DpakH

Last edited: Nov 11, 2019 at 3:47 PM

Want to reply or ask your own question?

It only takes a minute to sign up – and it's free!
Topics / Tags:
NameWorth
  1. NamePros uses cookies and similar technologies. By using this site, you are agreeing to our privacy policy, terms, and use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice