IT.COM

Black Friday Ripoff For Host Gator Customers

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Today Host Gator has an incredible special of 75% off. Unfortunately they fail to mention that the special is for new customers only and will charge current customers the normal price no matter if you've entered a coupon code or not or reject your order.

A day after thanksgiving and HG comes out with a special that tells their customers how unimportant they are to them. Apparently all they care about is new sales.

looks like im moving on to a new host.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
any proofs? i think it needs to be in the warning section.

•••
What a great way of showing they care about their customers :|

dragons5 said:
Today Host Gator has an incredible special of 75% off. Unfortunately they fail to mention that the special is for new customers only and will charge current customers the normal price no matter if you've entered a coupon code or not or reject your order.

A day after thanksgiving and HG comes out with a special that tells their customers how unimportant they are to them. Apparently all they care about is new sales.

looks like im moving on to a new host.

•••
yea i hate business that do that and its about 98% of business that you get a monthly bill from or subscribe to
hosting tv phone internet etc etc
they never say thanks unless you buy elsewhere!
the effed up thing is they send their current customers the same promotional offer even if they dont offer it to current customers
WTF
save your paper time and money please

•••
yes proof. just got to hg chat support and ask. i asked before ordering and was shocked at the reply.

•••
I know the first thing I'd be doing if these jokers ever got me with something like this would be calling my credit card issuer and requesting a chargeback. They want to play dirty -- I can play dirty too :snaphappy:

•••
another hg staffer told me they may just reject the account and cancel the charge so who knows what they will do.

of course at no point during the sales pitch or ordering process do they state this is for customers only, that only happened when i talked to a staffer.

•••
post a review about them then on webhostingtalk and thanks for the headsup.

•••
I posted over there, being called a whiner right now... go figure, a bunch of host are unhappy about my being unhappy at hg's promotion.

ugh. btw. If you get stung back by HG for registering you might have legal case against them. Im not fully sure, but I believe a sales limitations need to be posted somewhere to be read by the consumer. This does not happen at all during the sales process or on advertising material for the discount.

i say register using a friend/partent/spouses credit card and a new domain name and you should be gold.

•••
I wouldn't say this is a scam at all. Companies do this all the time, I wouldn't expect them to offer it for existing customers.

•••
Epic said:
I wouldn't say this is a scam at all. Companies do this all the time, I wouldn't expect them to offer it for existing customers.
It's not a scam persay - but there is absolutely nothing stopping a current customer from ordering the special and then having it taken from them or even HG recharging them.

Read over the special on their website and there is absolutely nothing about any limitations on the promotion except for that its "today only"

•••
well i think it's time to move on, you're fighting a brick wall, you won't win unless you have deeper pockets than them. hostgatorsucks .com/.net/.org are all taken btw, .com is parked. i never visited the other ones. hostgatorsucks .info/.biz are all available.

•••
With a lot of these shady companies (which unfortunately is a very significant portion of companies in the domain world), you're always better off assuming they're crooks and taking the necessary precautions.

Pay with a credit card through Paypal -- it's your best bet at getting your money back should anything go wrong or any gimmicks like this pulled.

•••
i just wanted to vocalize my extreme distaste in their promotion.

btw. it seems all the other 'webhost' at wht have rallied to support hg on this... i wont be posting there anymore. you cant even make a legitimate complaint without getting flamed.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back