Dynadot

Bido.com - Social Auction Platform

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

RJ

Domain BuyerTop Member
Impact
NamePros welcomes BIDO as it's newest sponsor.

Check out Bido's revolutionary Social Auction Platform at www.bido.com
All auctions start at $1 with no reserve.

The list of upcoming auctions is here:
http://www.bido.com/Auctions

This is a discussion thread for comments, reviews and feedback about Bido and it's services.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
It looks like DressOrganic.Com sold for a whopping $55.

•••
Cronus said:
It looks like DressOrganic.Com sold for a whopping $55.

Not surprising - it's not a very good domain.

•••
I don't think that's a bad sale for the name itself.

Personally, I would see it as a worse sign for Bido if DressOrganic.com sold for $500+...while it would have been awfully nice for a seller, I don't think it would properly represent the market for the name.

I think it's not fair to point at DressOrganic as some sort of evidence of Bido's system being flawed.

I think WinningPick.com may be an interesting one to watch, but I'm not terribly excited about the rest of the inventory currently being displayed. That doesn't mean someone else won't feel differently though.

•••
jhansen said:
Personally, I would see it as a worse sign for Bido if DressOrganic.com sold for $500+...while it would have been awfully nice for a seller, I don't think it would properly represent the market for the name..
I think it would be better for Bido if DressOrganic.com would have sold for $400 more than it was worth, than FixedLoans.com selling for $4000 less than its value. That must have hurt. :'(

•••
bionichead said:
I think it would be better for Bido if DressOrganic.com would have sold for $400 more than it was worth, than FixedLoans.com selling for $4000 less than its value. That must have hurt. :'(

I can certainly see where you're coming from, but who is to say FixedLoans.com was "worth" $10,000?

Yes, that's what was paid for it a few years ago, but couldn't the same be said about many names? There are a few extremely crucial factors in play in terms of FixedLoans.com:

1) The perceived value being placed on FixedLoans.com is based on the 2006 purchase price. (As a slight aside, the same buyer picked up Queens.net for $5K @ that auction, and it popped up on Rick Latona's offersheet today.) Quite a lot has changed in the market/industry/world economy since that time. I think it's fair to say that quite a few purchases from 2006 would sell for less today.

2) Just because one person paid $10K a name doesn't mean another person will. If I had bid $500,000 on Voodoo.com at DMG, should I expect that the name would sell for AT LEAST $500,000 in 2012, based entirely on the fact that I bought it for $500K?

3) The term "Fixed Loans" has an approximate search volume of around 200/month (Google Keyword Tool) and a max ppc bid of $15.31. No one searches for it...it's hardly even a proper phrase. Those are roughly the same metrics as ArizonaPersonalInjuryLawyer.com (260 avg search volume, $16.79 max bid per click...not a name I own btw). Would you pay $10,000 for ArizonaPersonalInjuryLawyer.com? :)

I'm quite eager to see 'better' names on the block at Bido before I judge it to be a poor marketplace.

-Justin

•••
I learned today that it's pronounced "Bid-oh" instead of "Bido" like "Fido." :p

•••
jhansen said:
I can certainly see where you're coming from, but who is to say FixedLoans.com was "worth" $10,000?

Yes, that's what was paid for it a few years ago, but couldn't the same be said about many names? There are a few extremely crucial factors in play in terms of FixedLoans.com:

1) The perceived value being placed on FixedLoans.com is based on the 2006 purchase price. (As a slight aside, the same buyer picked up Queens.net for $5K @ that auction, and it popped up on Rick Latona's offersheet today.) Quite a lot has changed in the market/industry/world economy since that time. I think it's fair to say that quite a few purchases from 2006 would sell for less today.

2) Just because one person paid $10K a name doesn't mean another person will. If I had bid $500,000 on Voodoo.com at DMG, should I expect that the name would sell for AT LEAST $500,000 in 2012, based entirely on the fact that I bought it for $500K?

3) The term "Fixed Loans" has an approximate search volume of around 200/month (Google Keyword Tool) and a max ppc bid of $15.31. No one searches for it...it's hardly even a proper phrase. Those are roughly the same metrics as ArizonaPersonalInjuryLawyer.com (260 avg search volume, $16.79 max bid per click...not a name I own btw). Would you pay $10,000 for ArizonaPersonalInjuryLawyer.com? :)

I'm quite eager to see 'better' names on the block at Bido before I judge it to be a poor marketplace.

-Justin
I'm not judging Bido.com as bad marketplace in the way some people might be thinking. I just disagree with the idea that selling DressOrganic.com for $500 would be "a worse sign" for Bido.com, than $55 was. Higher sales for average domains in the current market would mean more interest for Bido.com, not less. That seems logical to me.

By the way, whether FixedLoans.com (which is shorter than "fixed interest loans," but conveys the identical meaning in my mind) is worth $10,000 or not is subjective. The fact that it sold on one platform for $10,000 and on another for 40% less is reality. As a seller that would make me want to use the former platform over the latter.

So higher sales once again equals more success (or at least the appearance of success), not less.

By the way, I think Bido is really interesting as a concept.

•••
jhansen said:
I think it's not fair to point at DressOrganic as some sort of evidence of Bido's system being flawed.
Key elements of Bido's system are highlighted in home page banner elements "1 premium hand-picked domain per day, etc." Is DressOrganic a premium domain? If not, the system is flawed.

•••
I'm just throwing it here;

What's the relationship with Bido and NamePros?

With Bido showing the 'Brought to you by NamePros' and NamePros with 'Brought to you by Bido'?

•••
lzy said:
What's the relationship with Bido and NamePros?
Bido is just sponsoring NP for a limited period of time AFAIK.

IMO they really need to step up the quality of the inventory to sustain the hype.

•••
Steve said:

That was my assumption. Bid-o. But Bido (like Fido) was my first impression :)

ecalc said:
Key elements of Bido's system are highlighted in home page banner elements "1 premium hand-picked domain per day, etc." Is DressOrganic a premium domain? If not, the system is flawed.

I don't think having bad domains makes the system flawed... it just makes it less desirable to me. I want to see CEA.com on here, not trash like they've been having (save for a few domins they've auctioned, which were suitable albeit not all that great).

•••
Looks like the reviews for HIPHOPPHOTOGRAPHY.COM are mostly unfavorable.

It's really nice to see Bido approve both the good and bad comments. I do agree with Kate on the quality issue. Considering that Bido is paying $7K per week to sponsor this skin, it seems like the corresponding domains selected to be auctioned during that time period would have been better.

With 300 servers running the website (announced during Chat), I'm sure they have big plans on the horizon. Better domains will be next..hopefully.

Last edited:
•••
Archangel said:
I don't think having bad domains makes the system flawed
I'd agree if the motto was "1 domain per day" or maybe even "1 hand-picked domain per day", but they crossed the line by claiming "1 premium hand-picked domain per day." Mottos matter - they reflect corporate culture, the foundation of business systems. Gaps between policy and behavior are system flaws, cracks that can propagate. The word "premium" is abused by domainers 24 hours a day on forums, ebay, etc ... no need for an industry leader to jump on board. Bido is run by smart people. The expert review innovation is fresh and bold and adds value but can backfire if poor name quality persists.

•••
MicroGuy said:
With 300 servers running the website (announced during Chat), I'm sure they have big plans on the horizon. Better domains will be next..hopefully.
That is 300 servers for all of their sites, not just Bido.

Looks like today's auction went better than I expected. I really didn't think it would go that high, $55.

•••
Congrats Nem0, you won the contest with your guess of $6290.
The book is headed in your direction! Please update the thread when you get it :)

@MicroGuy (Greg) - Please allow me to clarify that RMG as a whole has the 300 servers at the moment, the figure includes Bido and was not referring to Bido alone. Just want to throw that out there.. it will be interesting to look back at as a snapshot in time in a few years. :)
We greatly appreciate your support as well as all those that participated in that quick contest and more importantly, the overall positive discussions here on NP.

•••
ecalc said:
I'd agree if the motto was "1 domain per day" or maybe even "1 hand-picked domain per day", but they crossed the line by claiming "1 premium hand-picked domain per day." Mottos matter - they reflect corporate culture, the foundation of business systems. Gaps between policy and behavior are system flaws, cracks that can propagate. The word "premium" is abused by domainers 24 hours a day on forums, ebay, etc ... no need for an industry leader to jump on board. Bido is run by smart people. The expert review innovation is fresh and bold and adds value but can backfire if poor name quality persists.

That's a good way to look at it. I'm tired of ppl saying "SASAFED.name -- highly premium domain for sale!" If a so-called "industry leader" does this, it makes me question the company. I don't care how anyone puts it -- that last domain wasn't premium by any stretch of the term.

•••
MediaHound said:
Please allow me to clarify that RMG as a whole has the 300 servers at the moment, the figure includes Bido and was not referring to Bido alone.
Yeah, I was kidding Sahar about the last Bido crash resulting from a shared hosting backend when he made the 300 servers quip. I'm sure you'll need all 300 for Bido soon. Best of luck and well wishes.

•••
Awesome, thanks Jarred. Looking forward to it!

MediaHound said:
Congrats Nem0, you won the contest with your guess of $6290.
The book is headed in your direction! Please update the thread when you get it :)

•••
How do you say Tomat-oh?

Steve said:
I'm confused...
Bido = Bid-oh = Bid-o
Fido = Fid-oh = Fid-o

The 'h' is "silent" since 'oh' sounds like 'o'
or...
The 'h' is not needed since 'o' sounds like 'oh' :|

```````
Is this the difference?
*"Bid-oh" clearly sounds like two syllables
*"Bido" is pronounced faster and almost sound like one syllable.

Is that the correct point?

•••
It isn't grammatical, just logical: It's a site where you BID so of course, they'd use BID-O and not Bido.

~ The 34 Year Buzz!! said:
I'm confused...
Bido = Bid-oh = Bid-o
Fido = Fid-oh = Fid-o

The 'h' is "silent" since 'oh' sounds like 'o'
or...
The 'h' is not needed since 'o' sounds like 'oh' :|

```````
Is this the difference?
*"Bid-oh" clearly sounds like two syllables
*"Bido" is pronounced faster and almost sound like one syllable.

Is that the correct point?

•••
I'm a huge fan of Bido's concept and execution. Sahar, Jarred, and the others on the team are a great group of guys. I can't wait to see what else they have in store for the industry.

I think as word spreads and Bido proves itself as a great place to sell domains, the quality of domains listed will increase which will bring more buyers to the table. This started happening before Bido shut down for a while, several four and five figure domains went up on the auction block. All it needs is to build up momentum again and we'll see great things happen.

Best of luck to you guys :tu:

•••
I like the concept and submitted a small list of solid domains. But at this point I am afraid to list any super premiums in a no reserve 1 hour auction.

Brad

Michael said:
I'm a huge fan of Bido's concept and execution. Sahar, Jarred, and the others on the team are a great group of guys. I can't wait to see what else they have in store for the industry.

I think as word spreads and Bido proves itself as a great place to sell domains, the quality of domains listed will increase which will bring more buyers to the table. This started happening before Bido shut down for a while, several four and five figure domains went up on the auction block. All it needs is to build up momentum again and we'll see great things happen.

Best of luck to you guys :tu:

•••
Question: Would you people want to see Preinstalled.com on Bido? Would you bid? It's not a $xx,xxx domain but it has a lot of use in web hosting (it has a $xxx offer on it now at WHT). Would you ppl like to see it on the ol' auction block?

•••
Not to change the subject, but I just tried DNZoom.com by Bido and it's pretty neat. Importing domains at the moment. Very promising.

•••
Do you know...?

I haven't read the whole thread, can someone please answer this question:

• If I submit a name for them to consider how long do I have to keep it available before they answer, and / or do they say "we will give you an answer within __ days?"

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back