NameSilo

discuss Beyond Just Domains: The branding company behind Some Famous Names

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

h2o

Established Member
Impact
I came across NameLab.com on accident yesterday by just typing in potential good names for a domain marketplace. I found NameLab super fascinating because they have been around since 1981 and are behind naming some megabrands.

On their homepage there is a section that reads, "Some names we're especially proud of...." and they examples of names they crafted including:

• AutoZone
  • Luxor Las Vegas
  • Olive Garden
  • Acuvue Brand Contact Lenses
  • Duralast
  • Acura
  • Renova
  • CompUSA
  • Compaq
  • LifeScan
Being that they were founded in 1981, before many of us were even born, they were crafting brands before the first .COM was even registered which was 1985. Heck, they were branding names even before DNS (Domain Name System) was put into place which was 1983. (Yes, I have been checking out Wikipedia!)

The big point that I am trying to make is that we are not just in the domain business, we are in the branding business! Branding goes beyond just domains.

A big part of branding is the science of linguistics. Linguistics or the study of language (compared to studying a specific foreign language like French or Mandarin) is the general study of human language. The Language Instinct by Steven Pinker was a fun and recommended read in my college linguistics class.

On the NameLab Approach page, they do get a little technical using terms like "Morphemes" "Neologisms" and what they call "Speechstream Visibility."

A real world application of linguistics at play is described when NameLab advised Compak to change to Compaq

From NameLab:

Originally Compak, we increased the brand’s notational visibility by changing the last consonant “k” to “q”…the first such brand name in the commercial lexicon to terminate in a “q”. As a result, the name pops in print. Because “k” and “q” are phonetically identical (they sound the same), there was little risk of diminished speechstream visibility or phonetic transparency.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back