NameSilo

Beware Sedo parked domains

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
malware: (n) bad software that you don't want; see: virus

Heads up: I've been noticing malware masquerading as common software in Sedo's ad network for domain parking. Here's an example after visiting a Sedo-parked site:

Screenshot 2014-01-26 01.40.32.png
Screenshot 2014-01-26 01.40.32.small.png

This software might look like Flash, but it isn't. Don't take the fine print for its word, either: this is most certainly in violation of all sorts of intellectual property laws, not to mention your privacy.

As you can see from the nameservers, the domain that I originally visited before being redirected was parked with Sedo at the time (second level domain redacted for privacy):

Code:
paul@ubuntu:~$ dig @8.8.8.8 ********.tk NS

; <<>> DiG 9.9.3-rpz2+rl.13214.22-P2-Ubuntu-1:9.9.3.dfsg.P2-4ubuntu1.1 <<>> @8.8.8.8 ********.tk NS
; (1 server found)
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 26815
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 2, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 1

;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:
; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 512
;; QUESTION SECTION:
;********.tk.            IN    NS

;; ANSWER SECTION:
********.tk.        21600    IN    NS    ns2.sedoparking.com.
********.tk.        21600    IN    NS    ns1.sedoparking.com.

;; Query time: 86 msec
;; SERVER: 8.8.8.8#53(8.8.8.8)
;; WHEN: Sun Jan 26 02:31:27 EST 2014
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 91

Be careful not to download anything from these sites. Don't click any links. If you get a dialog box, don't click OK or Cancel: click the X in the corner. If you interact with something that says you have viruses, you'll soon have viruses. Intrusive adware is malware, particularly if installed unintentionally or by utilizing the popularity of an unaffiliated entity.

Never download anything that you didn't go out searching for. You don't need more antivirus software. My professional opinion is that real antivirus software is useless against anything serious anyway and is just slowing down your computer, but the downloads on these sites aren't for real antivirus suites. They're just for crap that inject ads everywhere, change your homepage, add a million toolbars, and otherwise do thinks you don't want them to do. Files don't typically slow down a computer; neither do normal programs. Programs that run all of the time in the background are the culprit; typically they have a notification icon near you clock. Modern malware loves to do that.

For example, if you get popups on NamePros.com--besides for private messages--then you already have some of this malware installed. We don't use popup advertisements; it's something else on your computer causing the problem. In layman's terms, it's a "virus". Go directly to the nearest geek. Do not pass Go. Do not collect $200. Do not download more malware that claims to remove the malware that you already have, because it won't work.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
Thanks for the heads up :tu:

Peace,
Cy

•••
Last edited:
•••
Last edited by a moderator:
•••
Personally, I stay away from Sedo and anything within the reach of their tentacles.

•••
I had the same thing with Bodis.

Its everywhere.

I hate Zero Click

•••
Sedo began doing this just recently, far as I know, with the zeroclick thing, last few months. Thought I'd leave the domains I had parked there for awhile until my 'jury came in'.

Now it's in, and I declare Sedo parking guilty on all counts. The zeroclick is awful; visited 10 of my domains recently just to test it... only actually got to one of my parked pages... which means the other 9 did not show me or visitors the 'this domain may be for sale' tag. So if part of your reason for parking there is for visitors to see that your domain's for sale, the zeroclick is almost totally negating that. In the next few days I'll be creating my own landing pages for those parked domains. About half my domains I already had on my own landers, but now I'll switch all those Sedo-parked domains to my landers also.

And the zeroclick ad providers are really spammy. A couple of them were those really annoying ones that wouldn't let me close the window, even trying a few keyboard shortcut tricks. I had to restart my computer to get rid of those windows. Even if I were to not mind how zeroclick works, I do mind the spammy and annoying quality of advertisements they allow.

End of rant :)

•••
In my humble opinion, Sedo does not respect the rights of domain registrants.

•••
Yeah I have noticed this as well with domains I have parked on sedo. Go to them and it takes you to some advertisement does not tell potential intersted parties that these domains are for available for sale. Which was part of the reason to park them in first place, to try and get landing pages, while maybe generating a small amount of parking $ (heard sedo has worst returns for this). I think it might have also interfered further when I had same domains up for auction as people who are interested in those pages probably look them up and get sent off to some sketchy looking website that may have malware on it. Pretty disappointing from the so called safest and most established domain marketplace. Also does anyone how you get around their minimum sale price on domains? IE I think its $50, for them to get their commision, what if you have a domain you want to sell for $30 does it have to be done at a different market place like godaddy?

In the early days of domain sales and parking and while I understand domain sales is for the patient and takes time have to say its been genuinely disappointing all around. Same deal goes with the namepros forum here. Decent domains at great pricing can't even get an opening offer on forums, sedo or godaddy. Simply put it looks like the market is flooded and unless you have a really appealing .com its going to take alot of hustle to sell a decent .org, .net etc for even a low and reasonable price.

•••
This is not just a problem with sedo.
I have noticed this at many other sites and blogs.
Seems some ad network or another has decided to tell people their flash is out of date, blah blah blah.
Norton catches that crap for me.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back