IT.COM

alert Beware of “Invoice Scams”

NameSilo
Watch

News

Hand-picked NewsTop Member
Impact
I regularly use my email to discuss domain names with a variety of third parties. For over fifteen years, I must have exchanged emails with tens of thousands of different people at various entities. This morning, I received a personally addressed “invoice scam” email, and it is something people need to be mindful about.
I did a quick search for the “from” email, and I see that I had once communicated with this entity several years ago regarding a domain name. My assumption is that this entity’s email address was hacked, and the hacker harvested all email addresses that ever communicated with that email address. They then sent out “invoice scam” spam emails to those email addresses hoping that someone would fall prey and submit a payment...
Read More

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Every time I receive a phony invoice, I am absolutely furious, and sometimes take a moment to stick a stick in the spokes of these fraudsters by filing an FTC complaint or dropping a note with another enforcement agency. The one that enraged me the most was one that implied that I needed to pay about $140 to comply with some HR-related law that required me, as an employer, to do something or another that I could get in big trouble if I failed to do. Reading the fine print revealed that, for my payment, I would receive a poster that was required by OSHA or the EEOC if I had a certain number of employees, which I didn't have. I looked at the return address where I was to send the money. It was a tiny slot of an office in a no-name industrial park in Phoenix, Arizona. I made a complaint to the Arizona authorities, but I doubt anything was done about it. This is, after, the Golden Age of Fraud.

•••
Thank you for this kind of posts.Others can be cautious to the scam mails and phone calls.

•••
THANKYOU FOR YOUR HELP ......... :xf.smile:

•••
Thanks for your Advice.....(y)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back