Domain Empire

BETWEEN NAMECHEAP AND NAMESILO WHICH ONE IS BETTER?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

mycontrepipol

Established Member
Impact
hey fellows, i wish to know which registrer is better between nacheap and namesilo. not only in term of price but also and mostly in term of reliability, trust, backup and others services . please help me to chose. thanks

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
I haven't used Namecheap for years, but I'm in the process of switching to NameSilo, and so far I've moved about 250 names. I really like their setup and the market place, so I'll continue moving names over to them.

If you want to try NameSilo, then promo code HOTNAMES will get you a dollar off your first order.

•••
between the two I'd pick godaddy.

gl

•••
I have no experience with NameSilo, but NameCheap is awesome. Their service is out of this world.

•••
I use Namecheap over 5 years and recently I started to use NameSilo. From my experience both have great support but NameSilo stands out with more affordable prices, free whois guard and IMO better user interface.

•••
GoDaddy is total $hit. NameCheap is ok. NameSilo has my vote.

•••
well the thing about $hit is that it varies from person to person.. check your toilet if you don't beleive me... but since it looks like its vote day... my vote from best to $hit is:

godaddy
namesilo
namecheap

gl ;)

Last edited:
•••
well the thing about $hit is that it varies from person to person..

You got me there. You are absolutely correct.

•••
I am planning to use Namesilo INS
Cheap .com reg and renewal (compared to others), free whois privacy, they have marketplace, accepts bitcoins for payment and fund.
good luck (y)

•••
Namecheap:
+support (they have an online chat 24/7 which *always* -at least in my case- manages to solve problems on the spot)
+much wider range of extensions to register
+low marketplace fees to sell domains
+when transferring out -most of the times- you'll get a transfer approval email to speed up the process.
+General usage API
-No Dropcatch API (lots of restrictions there)

-bad interface (clunky, hard to navigate, various needed options not there for certain extensions, etc.)
-technical issues are quite common
-marketplace is not used by many users and also the names expire a short time after you place them for sale (which means that you constantly need to run the process of posting the names for sale)

* Not compatible with SEDO's MLS network nor Afternic's premium network (that's not a plus or minus, just thought I should mention it)
* Free Privacy for only 1 year

Namesilo:
+support (I use email and they always respond within 24hrs)
+better interface than namecheap (not the best but it does the job well)
+low marketplace fees
+some nice market options
+I personally never had any kind of technical issue so far
+free privacy for ever
+Dropcatch API

-Very Restrictive API in that you can use it only during the time .coms and .nets drop to catch only those two extensions. No general usage.
-no transfer-out approval option to speed up the process (always need to wait ~7days for a transfer out to happen)
-less extensions you can register compared to Namecheap
-Market interface is clunky (that could be a personal opinion though) but it does the job

* Supports both SEDO's and Afternic's premium network

I can't think of anything else atm. Hope I helped a bit.
Note that my vote would go to Namesilo.

•••
•••
Me personally, Namesilo hands down wins.

•••
OP you should add a poll.

•••
I am transferring everything to namesilo. They answer emails sunday night in 30 minutes, and have many things i prefer over namecheap. I have names at namecheap too. Best of all @namesilo has an active account here and participate and take suggestions make things happen.
There is a namesilo thread you could read here, am mobile if someone can post it

•••
NameSilo panel and API are better definitely.

•••
Yipes. I did not realize that the N from NS was missing. Anyway, I prefer NameSilo (NS) over Namecheap for the extensive tools they have, their prices and great support (The last one is true for Namecheap as well)

•••
-no transfer-out approval option to speed up the process (always need to wait ~7days for a transfer out to happen)

They have expedited transfer out approvals.
Edit: https://www.namesilo.com/Support/How-to-transfer-away-from-NameSilo
See the "Steps to transfer away" section on this page

-Very Restrictive API in that you can use it only during the time .coms and .nets drop to catch only those two extensions. No general usage.

They do have a general use API - https://www.namesilo.com/Support/API-Manager
This is not restricted for use only during the drop window. In fact, I'd contend that NS API is superior to the NC API with a cleaner design

Last edited:
•••
They have expedited transfer out approvals...

Thanks for pointing those out but the last time I checked I couldn't register a domain outside that period of time I mentioned using their API (I use desktopcatcher btw).

I have also never noticed a way to expedite a transfer out in the transfer manager... I'll try to check what is it I'm not seeing next time I transfer out.

•••
I like Namecheap but I'd prefer Namesilo.

•••
Thanks for pointing those out but the last time I checked I couldn't register a domain outside that period of time I mentioned using their API (I use desktopcatcher btw).

I have also never noticed a way to expedite a transfer out in the transfer manager... I'll try to check what is it I'm not seeing next time I transfer out.

There is a different API (not the batch API) that'll work for registrations. Not sure if DesktopCatcher has that implemented.

•••
Where Namesilo excels is in maintaining a quality service (with great pricing), while not adding a ton of unnecessary extras, which would only end up detracting from their strengths and slowing their web interface

•••
I use both and find namesilo easier and quicker to navigate through.

•••
Dupe message posted for some reason

Last edited:
•••
Thanks for all of the kind words from everyone on this thread - very much appreciated!

To address the issues brought up by @Hypersot , we do offer expedited transfers out via the Transfer Manager page in your account. We have offered this for about 5 years :)

We also do offer our API for general use at all times (https://www.namesilo.com/api_reference.php). The only restrictions we have are specifically related to drop-catching of com/net domains which can only be done during the VeriSign drop intervals (currently 11am-12pm Arizona time). All other API operations can be done at any time.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back