Dynadot

BETWEEN NAMECHEAP AND NAMESILO WHICH ONE IS BETTER?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

mycontrepipol

Established Member
Impact
hey fellows, i wish to know which registrer is better between nacheap and namesilo. not only in term of price but also and mostly in term of reliability, trust, backup and others services . please help me to chose. thanks

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Now that Name Silo has achieved the new gold standard with over a million names, I think they should have a promo for .gold names - maybe one cent transfers. :)

•••
•••
I've been a long time NameCheap customer (2005'ish) and they have always done right by me. With that said, the one thing I did not and still don't like is the updated user interface they brought out a few years ago. WAY too much white space and not a fan of the navigation. Other registrars I've used since starting in domaining are Monarch and GoDaddy along with probably 4-5 small ones that have come and gone over the years.

Recently I decided to give NameSilo a try as a result of all the good things I had been hearing about them such as great customer support, low prices and the included privacy. I've moved about 30 domains over to NS in the last 2 months and am quite happy so far!

98% of my portfolio is dot com so NS's pricing with included privacy is already saving me $$$. Their interface is straightforward, compact and simple/easy/intuitive. So far I haven't run in to any issues so I haven't had to contact support.

Assuming I don't find any reasons not to, I'll continual moving a good portion of my portfolio over NameSilo while still maintaing a position at NameCheap.

•••
@namesilo Any chance you will offer .in sometime?

•••
@namesilo Any chance you will offer .in sometime?

Hello. Possibly - we reached out to the .in registry a few weeks ago and are looking forward to engaging with them to see if this is a possibility.

•••
I have used both. Namecheap has more gTLDs such as I was able to register .APP for $15 from its inception. Namesilo still doesn’t support that important gTLD.

But Namesilo has a better marketplace charging only 7.5% for most payment types with a discount to 3% for wire transfers. However, Epik is 5% for all payment types including the increasingly important Bitcoin. Both of them allow withdrawal to Bitcoin, wire transfer, or even check.

Whereas, Namecheap has a 10% marketplace fee and only allows withdrawal to Paypal. Paypal is problematic both because it forces international users to take their funds in their home currency even if they have a USD bank account but Namecheap only pays out in USD, which thus tacks on several more percent in fees and exchange spreads. Also Paypal is renown for locking accounts and putting a hold on funds, due to apparent rampant hacking of accounts and other reasons. Google can help for finding example stories.

•••
I want to switch to Namesilo though my registrar have been godaddy.com, Name.com but there renewal fees are somewhat crazy. But not sure if Namesilo is sedomls premium partner.

•••
I think afternic partner, not sedo for @namesilo

•••
Last edited:
•••
•••
Thanks guys! So, Namesilo partners with sedo also?

•••
•••
Yeh! I just confirmed that now. Big thanks!

•••
Both are my favourite. Although I usually prefer Namesilo due to the best prices plus other extra free services.

•••
I use both and have nothing but positive things to say about both companies. I have needed help a few times at Namecheap and without exception found their assistance prompt and helpful. Namesilo I have used less, and have far fewer domains with them. The interfaces are far different, but I like both fine.

I think that the choice will largely depend on the extensions you hold. Namecheap have a much broader set of ngTLDs and generally better year one prices in new extensions (and renewal prices on some). Namesilo normally have better prices in the legacy extensions, and sometimes for renewals and transfers of other extensions.

A major advantage of Namesilo if you deal in com/net/org/info/pw/biz is that they are a fast transfer registrar to get Premium Network coverage at Afternic listings.

Namecheap have some great promotions at various points in the year such as their transfer day in the spring and their end of November annual deals. On the other hand, Namesilo pricing tends to be more consistently good.

They both have marketplaces for selling domain names. I have used Namecheap a lot, and plan to start using Namesilo. As others have pointed out the commission is a bit less on Namesilo and also payment options more flexible, although possibly Epik beat them both.

I tend to sell to end users that are essentially single person companies. Namecheap offer hosting services, so some end users prefer to buy at there and to be able to quickly and easily get hosting up and running (of course GoDaddy also have this advantage and are much better known).

If I handled only com/org/net/info I would probably have all of mine at Namesilo. If only ngTLD probably only deal with Namecheap. If mix of both, I think you should use both.

Bob

•••
I hope this is not off-topic, but is there someone in this thread who has used all three of Namecheap, Namesilo and Epik marketplaces to sell value priced domain names, and can they comment on how they compare, I don't mean in features, which I think is obvious, but rather in how likely a domain name is to sell. i.e. if I had 1000 equivalent domain names on each, how would the number of sales after a year compare?

Thanks,

Bob

•••
Back