NameSilo

advice Best way to buy great domains as an Investor

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Anyone with a great single word domain (those that sell in Mid to high 6 figures) won't likely liquidate their portfolio at wholesale price. Even if they do, they will do with brokers, or inner circle.

That being the case, are drop auctions the best place to buy them in a wholesale price, for a industry nobody?

How did your acquire your best domain(s) till date? Domains that have High 5 Fig to 6 figure wholesale value.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
Thanks.

For me I got great result from every places such as buying from auction, private , NP reseller, Bin listed on various places, Some friends brought to my attention etc., So I do not ignore any angel. I wish best to you and other friends.

Thanks

•••
I buy from wherever I see opportunity. For me personally there's not a single venue that stands out.

My best/valuable domains are either handregs from 2 decades ago or domains from that era acquired in private.

If you're just starting out, I think drop auctions/closeouts are a decent place to buy some inventory. Make sure not to overspend.

Personally, I wouldn't advice anybody to aim for 5/6 figure names when starting out. Do a lot of research, start small. Try to get some smaller sales, like up to $1500. Build some capital to reinvest and take it from there.

You'll learn a lot along the way and because your initial investment wouldn't be too much it's easier to take possible losses and adjust your strategy.

Once you gained some experience and have the funds, start your quest for those 5/6 figure gems.

•••
You really need to look at all the Avenues when your buying. There are still diamonds to be found for an affordable price, you just need to spend a lot more time mining them now then you had to 2-3 years ago.

•••
You really need to look at all the Avenues when your buying. There are still diamonds to be found for an affordable price, you just need to spend a lot more time mining them now then you had to 2-3 years ago.
Care to share some tips :)

•••
Great buys can be done privately for domains registered many years and unused at the moment.

I purchased a few for my art job. It takes time but it is worth. If the domain is registered to one person is much more easy, with companies is much harder. You have to speak with more than one person and at the end or they don't want to sell or they will do but not cheap as a few thousands are not so important for them. This is my experience.

As domainer I buy almost only dropped/expiring names as I dont have too much time to search for private sales.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back