Dynadot

discuss Best Domain value tools

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Broth Investing

Established Member
Impact
I think the best tools for figuring domain value are Nameworth , domainindex and Name Bio what are yours?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Take a look at the automatic appraisal tool linked in my signature.

As a side note, it took some years to refine and has been a vital factor in my domaining success. Built it for myself, now opened to the world.

•••
Namepros, because all others can be found here.

•••
Take a look at the automatic appraisal tool linked in my signature.

As a side note, it took some years to refine and has been a vital factor in my domaining success. Built it for myself, now opened to the world.
Thanks, neat little tool. Estimates really do vary compared to NameWorth and GoDaddy, but that's understandable. I do like your feature of being able to see all the other extensions taken.

•••
Thanks, neat little tool. Estimates really do vary compared to NameWorth and GoDaddy, but that's understandable. I do like your feature of being able to see all the other extensions taken.
Thanks for the feedback, appreciated.

There are more features coming soon. Such as history of previous comparable sales (similar to GD), provided in partnership with Namebio.

•••
Namepros, because all others can be found here.
With the Insider's Club, are professional appraisals still being offered? And, if so, how reliable are these, in your opinion.
Also, Estibot is cited as being used for more official valuations, such as for tax purposes. Are any of the other appraisal site valuations accepted for that?

•••
•••
Ok, you are all talking about appraisal tools. I understood it as domain tools.
I never used insider club. What is it about?
Appraisals may be misleading, because value is not a number, it is a random variable (distribution).
And that random variable changes as well. What I mean : 1 percent chance to sell for 6 figures,
10 percent chance to sell for 5 figures,.. such a thing called random variable in probability theory.
You can take weighted averages (expectations), but it may not be very helpful all the time, because we all want to sell asap (before renewal).

Last edited:
•••
I have had my own valuation site i might remake site again one day but the biggest complaint was it isn't accurate so nor are any tools but the idea of such a tool is to model and create a point score mainly based on traffic etc . Without getting into it all the best tool is domain sales history but remember every sold name was the final price and people negotiate or bid to get to that number so need to start higher. I offer many free tools over my sites.

Last edited:
•••
•••
the biggest complaint was it isn't accurate
That's one complaint I am not getting.

In fact users have expressed thanks, appreciation and even said something like it's "long awaited fresh air" in this area.

But of course no such tool is/can be perfect. But the amount of time spent into it was worth it. I made it for myself, polished over the years. Not claiming it's perfect (ever).

I don't see other tools as being anywhere near accurate. The best other tool out there in my opinion is GD's appraisal tool, with the caveat that it's biased, especially in the low value domains area. But they do benefit from their huge cache of sales data.

In certain areas though my tool is definitely better, such as 2-word .COMs and 1-words (modified in particular) which represent a wide range of the domains out there.

Edit: And that's one of the reasons I can find and sell good domains.

I would note, there's a difference between something made FOR the market and something made out of passion and with the intent of being useful and accurate as possible, first of all. Which wasn't easy at all.

You can make an appraisal tool in 1-2 days if you're a good coder. But without some years spent refining it, it ain't going to be accurate.

Last edited:
•••
GoDaddy's estimates are better than NameBio in my experience because GoDaddy has access to Afternic sales. I've seen my own Afternic sales appear in their API results so I know they are accurate (and I've never published those numbers elsewhere).

(Tip: you can hit GoDaddys comparables endpoint pretty hard without getting banned. It's not an official API but they don't care. Be aware though - any sale over $25k gets listed as $25k)

NameBio is basically a waste of time in my experience, because it's all wholesale/auction data (with the exception of a few, like Swetha's sales). I would never sell a domain at the prices listed on NameBio - they're usually at least 10x too low.

I've messed with twikis a bit, but haven't had time to do a deep dive yet. It seems pretty solid but honestly it's hard to say. I have found that his Sales Velocity number is usually high on domains that I also think are quality, so although I don't totally understand it yet it seems to be a decent signal.

This is basically an impossible problem to solve with a computer, of course. I wouldn't use any of these tools to price domains. They're more effective at filtering down a big list that you can review manually.

Last edited:
•••
•••
I think the best tools for figuring domain value are Nameworth , domainindex and Name Bio what are yours?
Thanks for mentioning domainindex. I had never used it before, just tried it for a name, and will check it for some others.

I think one can't really compare an appraisal tool (like NameWorth, Estibot, GD Valuator, Graen, Saw, etc.) with NameBio which is a list of prior sales, a mix of wholesale and retail. True GD Valuator and NameBio will both tell you comparator sales, but overall one is a sales database and the other uses that, and other, data to try to appraise the name.

I think which tool is best depends on the type of name. For 2-word names it seems GD Valuator probably does best job. If it is a brandable type name, better off with NameWorth. Product and service match names sometimes benefit from Estibot that places a lot of emphasis on search volume and CPC for terms. NameWorth only do .com names. Saw is good for high value single word names, but I don't think is useful for brandable names and seems pretty harsh on most two-word.

Access to the Afternic sales data is definitely valuable for GD Valuator. They are reviewing it now, so we may see some changes.

Bob

•••
Although I appreciate the work involved of everyone in creating automated appraisal tools, by and large they do a disservice to domain sellers when buyers can use them in negotiation against the sellers. There are factors that are impossible for automated appraisal algorithms to know, such as type-in traffic, motivation of the buyer, budget, etc. A domain sold for X,XXX few years ago does not determine the value today. It is impossible to build an accurate automated domain appraisal tool. It is nice to have a way to access data of past sales and search volume when determining purchasing domains or deciding whether to renew. However, presenting this to the general public as an "appraisal" or "valuation" is detrimental to domain investors/sellers.

Last edited:
•••
•••
Ok, you are all talking about appraisal tools. I understood it as domain tools.
I never used insider club. What is it about?
Well, professional appraisals are mentioned on NamePros as a perk for the Insider's Club.
So, how useful are those appraisals, reserved for the "Insider" elite? Are they still being offered when you are an Insider?

•••
•••
I would note, there's a difference between something made FOR the market and something made out of passion and with the intent of being useful and accurate as possible, first of all. Which wasn't easy at all.

You can make an appraisal tool in 1-2 days if you're a good coder. But without some years spent refining it, it ain't going to be accurate.
(y)

•••
There are many factors to consider when you appraise and evaluate a domain name.

- Searching domain sales databases for similar sales might give you an answer to one of the most important factor: "Previous sales, which can be considered comparable".

- Another important factor is how your keyword/term is trending at the moment. One way to check this out is via search engines statistics. Things like search volume and even CPC might have an important impact on the value.

- A third obvious factor is the TLD itself and/or how well the domain/keyword match with the TLD. As we know there are trends and hype among TLDs, as well. E.g. .XYZ, .IO, .APP and .SHOP versus extensions which used to be popular back in time: .BIZ, .XXX, .CO and .INFO.

An automated tool might give some insights, but not all of them seems to do this well. IMO.

Last edited:
•••
I do like nameworth. Primarily because it is not public facing. Also the domains I tried came back with estimates very close to my expectations. Plus it focuses only on dot coms. It is easier to build a more accurate engine if you stay within one or two extensions that have the most data available.

•••
Well, professional appraisals are mentioned on NamePros as a perk for the Insider's Club.
So, how useful are those appraisals, reserved for the "Insider" elite? Are they still being offered when you are an Insider?

The only person who does any real appraisals on the Insider Forum is @Eric Lyon , which is hugely appreciated, but I expected more people to voice their opinions to be honest. That said, the appraisals Eric gives are very detailed and helpful.

At the end of the day though you're still going to be mostly on your own. That's just part of the deal and that's how you make money in this business - seeing value where others do not.

•••
•••
None of them are perfect of course. I'll run things through estibot, nameworth, saw, and NameBio most frequently. Recent reported sales for similar domains are probably the "best" indicator of domain name value.

•••
Can't comment on usefulness as I have never personally requested one, but they are done by an experienced domain expert, are in depth, and in my way of thinking are balanced, an honest opinion about the worth of the domain name. They give things like comparators, comments on the vertical, structure, etc.

•••
Back