IT.COM

Best Database - Mysql / MS Access / MS SQL

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Hello

I tried to search on net but did'nt get the answer.

Which database is good for medium size Database.

1. MYSQL
2. MSSQL ( Microsoft) 2000/2003
3. MS Access - i think it will hang if more Records

Pl. suggest which database to use and advantage and disadvantages.

Thanks
Anurag

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
anurag said:
I think i will go for PHP. No more confussion as PHP is better than ASp in Performance, security and support.
Considering your are talking about ASP and not ASP.NET I would agree with the first and the third (with security not really, as this depend on the developer's experience and not the language). Performance because PHP continues to be developed and improved, ASP wasnt enhanced since 2002. Support for similar reasons.

Of course if we are talking about .NET a completely different view will apply. Is there a particular reason why you dont like ASP.NET? Do you already have experience with PHP?

•••
Reason i don't like asp.net is that development is easier than ASP but again it got security issue and it is not good for medium or large databse.

I studied some of the cases and found that CGI perl is best and PHP is no. 2.
So I know asp, asp.net and php but i find it is easy to code php and geeting developers and scripts are easier than asp. And geetnig reasouce and scripts for asp.net is very difficult.

So i think best choice is php.

neroux said:
Considering your are talking about ASP and not ASP.NET I would agree with the first and the third (with security not really, as this depend on the developer's experience and not the language). Performance because PHP continues to be developed and improved, ASP wasnt enhanced since 2002. Support for similar reasons.

Of course if we are talking about .NET a completely different view will apply. Is there a particular reason why you dont like ASP.NET? Do you already have experience with PHP?

•••
anurag said:
Reason i don't like asp.net is that development is easier than ASP but again it got security issue and it is not good for medium or large databse.

I studied some of the cases and found that CGI perl is best and PHP is no. 2.
So I know asp, asp.net and php but i find it is easy to code php and geeting developers and scripts are easier than asp. And geetnig reasouce and scripts for asp.net is very difficult.

So i think best choice is php.
I am really sorry, but I have to disagree on all these points.

ASP.NET hasnt got any "security issues" nor "database issues". In fact I would even say it might be better suited for larger database setups.

Using Perl in a CGI environment was a good solution for many years, but this was 10 years ago and today I would choose it as last option.

Also it isnt easier to develop in PHP. Its learning curve is much more flat than .NET's, but this also results in many developers who do not have the necessary experience and background knowledge to create applications with a proper design and proper security (hence PHP is often accused of being insecure, although its actually the programmer's inexperience). Because of that it also seems there are more programmers for PHP.

Of course its totally fine if you choose PHP over .NET, but please do not base your decision on some rumors you heard from biased or inexperienced people.

•••
some of your points are valid. I agree Perl is no more used for Development.

But still I don't agree that ASP.NET is better than PHP. Now PHP 5.0 got some good features and best part is availability of developers and servers.

For ASP.NET we need to spend more for Development and maintence.

I think it is always debatable the performance between ASP.NET and PHP. :)

neroux said:

ASP.NET hasnt got any "security issues" nor "database issues". In fact I would even say it might be better suited for larger database setups.

Using Perl in a CGI environment was a good solution for many years, but this was 10 years ago and today I would choose it as last option.

Also it isnt easier to develop in PHP. Its learning curve is much more flat than .NET's, but this also results in many developers who do not have the necessary experience and background knowledge to create applications with a proper design and proper security (hence PHP is often accused of being insecure, although its actually the programmer's inexperience). Because of that it also seems there are more programmers for PHP.

Of course its totally fine if you choose PHP over .NET, but please do not base your decision on some rumors you heard from biased or inexperienced people.

•••
anurag said:
some of your points are valid.
I am sorry but I cant really see any points which wouldnt be valid.

anurag said:
But still I don't agree that ASP.NET is better than PHP. Now PHP 5.0 got some good features and best part is availability of developers and servers.
PHP 5 was definitely improved (otherwise a new major version wouldnt be justified) but these improvements apply mostly to OOP. There are still huge amounts of features and functionality missing (scalability, ....) which are already availabe in .NET and are often required especially for high traffic/load sites like yours.

I'd also say the amount of PHP developers isnt larger than .NET developers. Unless of couse you also count the $5/hour developers who made a "PHP is 21 days" course and are now offering their services. I already mentioned in my previous posting that PHP has an incredible flat learning curve which makes one very easily believe to be the new developer god and results in code open to every exploit you can think of.

anurag said:
For ASP.NET we need to spend more for Development and maintence.
I dont agree.

anurag said:
I think it is always debatable the performance between ASP.NET and PHP. :)
Performance is always debatable as it depends more on the implementation and hence experience of the developer than the language. .NET will be slower than PHP in certain cases just like PHP will be slower than .NET, but saying .NET is slower in general is simply not correct.

•••
neroux said:

perl may be old but it beats asp and php in terms of speed.

•••
MySQL = Easy To Learn, Use, Manage, Edit.
MySQL Is The Perfect Database For Anything.

•••
Amnezia said:
perl may be old but it beats asp and php in terms of speed.
This isnt a question of age. Perl is a great tool, but saying it is generally faster is - as I already said in my previous posting - simply wrong. There are cases in which Perl will be faster and others in which it will be slower. Interpreted Perl code will never be faster than compiled .NET code.

LogiK said:
MySQL = Easy To Learn, Use, Manage, Edit.
MySQL Is The Perfect Database For Anything.
MySQL is a nice database and useful for my cases. But not for everything and there are dozen of reasons why one should better use MS SQL, PostgreSQL, Firebird or Oracle.

Folks, its disappointing to read over and over again statements with unfunded arguments, seem biased and have no backups.

Lets keep the discussions professional and provide unbiased facts which can be backed up with actual data.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back