Dynadot

new gtlds Best Benefits of New gTLD's are PR, Buzz Factor, and Link Equity

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

News

Hand-picked NewsTop Member
Impact
Getting to the title of this article, this morning I noticed an article about the domain names “Homes.Forsale and Houses.Forsale selling for $90,000”. The sites were linked to in a story just like they are here. I also noticed the sites were linked to from Twitter, the venue which spread the news to my email which initially caught my eye to begin with and that Twitter post was shared and re-tweeted three times (twice which re-tweets contained the links).
These high value gTLDs which are based on real money terms, high search volume, in high profit industries spark discussion – period. These discussions and sales will thus drive higher the rest of the gTLD market and lead to even more sales and more discussion. Even the wisest of domain name investors and enthusiasts are starting to take notice and worry; if not much, just an insy little bit – that money is pooling away from .coms and being spent on gTLDs. They may not want you to know this, but there is indeed a little insy-little-bit of anxiety out there.
So buying these new gTLD domain names, if for nothing else, is a great PR stunt. It’s an effective way to build some initial buzz and momentum that would otherwise be difficult to generate. There is also added marketing value in the keywords on the left and the right of the dot. If those keywords on the right and left can help you rank in search, even just a little bit, it could help add leverage – very necessary leverage to compete in a quickly overcrowding place. But just don’t forget, you’re going to loose a little bit of traffic from direct navigation, those who forget the URL and/or confusion. These are the types of things that will get people talking about you when and if nothing else will...
Read More

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Yes if .Forsale can create the kind of buzz the article suggests, then may lead to an even bigger buzz of the many other handsome extensions. I'm not particularly fond of a two word TLD, it starts to look and less of a name and more a clunky ad. Admittedly homes/houses.forsale are huge names. The name itself does not induce a personal brand connection though, but rather would draw its visitors through sheer draw power. It's a popular and instantly recognizable term.

Personally, I wouldn't mind if the gTLD scene stayed quiet for another couple years. I feel there's still many kinks to work out before this stuff hits mainstream.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back