IT.COM

question gTLD's are we repeating ourselves?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

MapleDots

Account Closed (Requested)
Impact
gtlds.png

gTLD's are we repeating ourselves?

.global vs .international

.web vs .website

Seems to me global is better and .web is better

There has to be a culling at some point in time, I cannot see this type of duplication continuing in the long run.

Even

.com vs .company

If we use that as an example then .net would have to be .network

or .org vs .organization

All seems a bit convoluted to me (n)

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
The second round of new gTLDs is only to come ... imagine how confused some will be then :)

Imo, the more options the better for end users
(but , unfortunatelly, not necessarily for us, domain investors ... but this is life)

•••
Show attachment 104682

gTLD's are we repeating ourselves?

.global vs .international

.web vs .website

Seems to me global is better and .web is better

There has to be a culling at some point in time, I cannot see this type of duplication continuing in the long run.

Even

.com vs .company

If we use that as an example then .net would have to be .network

or .org vs .organization

All seems a bit convoluted to me (n)
Btw, MapleDots, are you investing or considering investing in new gTLDs, or will stick with good old.ca? Just curious :)

•••
I invest into what I know and that is .ca and .com with the odd OTHER thrown in. It would be very foolish for me to invest into something I know so little about. I have honed my skill to a particular niche for a decade and it has served me well.

There are other younger, braver souls out there that will take on the new gTLDs. I will mostly observe from the sidelines but I won't rule out the odd strategic investment.

I've dipped my toes into .app a bit but like I said in my opening post.... some of the duplication is puzzling me a bit. It's kind of like the whole double branding with automobiles with pontiac and chevrolet having the same vehicles with different nameplate. We all know how that turned out and I think a number of the new gTLD's will fail before some of the stronger players assert their dominance.

It will be an interesting time for sure but I'll have to see some proven sales for a period of time before I decide if I am going to invest.

Last edited:
•••
I invest into what I know and that is .ca and .com with the odd OTHER thrown in. It would be very foolish for me to invest into something I know so little about. I have honed my skill to a particular niche for a decade and it has served me well.

There are other younger, braver souls out there that will take on the new gTLDs. I will mostly observe from the sidelines but I won't rule out the odd strategic investment.

I've dipped my foot into .app a bit but like I said in my opening post.... some of the duplication is puzzling me a bit. It's kind of like the whole double branding with automobiles with pontiac and chevrolet having the same vehicles with different nameplate. We all know how that turned out and I think a number of the new gTLD's will fail before some of the stronger players assert their dominance.

It will be an interesting time for sure but I'll have to see some proven sales for a period of time before I decide if I am going to invest.
Thanks for letting me know. I think it is very correct to invest to something one has good knowledge about, I agree totally.

The thing with new gTLDs is that new gTLD investors are getting knowledge in the process - no one can can say "I am veteran new gTLD investor" as we have them only since 2014 :) so I guess we are all still experimenting and learning...

Regarding proven sales, I personally think it will take years to have enough of proven sales recorded, and once this is done, all good names will be long time gone.

Well, they are gone already : my personal experience is this: I have opened WLTB thread here at Namepros 2 years ago, and bougth dozens of nice new gTLD names for 15-50 earch. Really nice names with standard renewals, people were happy to sell, they were early adopters who just wanted to flip them for few bucks profit. Now, in 2018, I have opened again WLTB threads, and I can not believe what is happening: either people send me total crap, or they will send me great name, but they ask 500 - 1000 for it, and they call it wholesale price - and I I know I would be able to buy this type of names here for 30-50 USD 2 years ago. Luckily I have enough inventory, but still....So times are changing quickly...

•••
The thing with new gTLDs is that new gTLD investors are getting knowledge in the process - no one can can say "I am veteran new gTLD investor" as we have them only since 2014 :) so I guess we are all still experimenting and learning...

New gtlds started in 2001. I along with many others were heavy investors in .info and .biz, wish I never was. I squandered substantial time and money. Sales happened for me but never quite enough to cover reg fees, even in the best years.

I remember all the arguments about how they would succeed and that the world was changing.

Last edited:
•••
If I included everything I would have had over $50,000 in .info and .biz sales, and $100,000+ in reg fees & purchase costs. I was sure it would turn profitable given time and so were many others. The sales you do get is what hooks you.

•••
New gtlds started in 2001. I along with many others were heavy investors in .info and .biz, wish I never was. I squandered substantial time and money. Sales happened for me but never quite enough to cover reg fees, even in the best years.

I remember all the arguments about how they would succeed and that the world was changing.
.Info and .Biz are not new gTLDs ..term new gTLDs is generally used by most people here for new extensions which started in 2014.

.Info and .biz is something very old, as you say, from 2001, everything was already said and learned about them...the largest difference between those extensions and new gTLDs from 2014 is that they did not have premium renewals, so it was easier to invest (as you did not need to take renewals into consideration that much as we need to do today with new gTLDs)...

•••
the largest difference between those extensions and new gTLDs from 2014 is that they did not have premium renewals, so it was easier to invest (as you did not need to take renewals into consideration that much as we need to do today with new gTLDs)...

Even makes @johnnie018 's point stronger don't you think?

•••
.Info and .Biz are not new gTLDs ..term new gTLDs is generally used by most people here for new extensions which started in 2014.

.Info and .biz is something very old, as you say, from 2001, everything was already said and learned about them...the largest difference between those extensions and new gTLDs from 2014 is that they did not have premium renewals, so it was easier to invest (as you did not need to take renewals into consideration that much as we need to do today with new gTLDs)...

I'm sorry but they were new tlds, they are now old. They were called new tlds in 2001 and for many tears after.

So you are wrong in saying there is no veteran new gtld investors, there is plenty, though most are doing other things. Either other extensions or out of domains.

Last edited:
•••
Every new extension has at least few "truly premium" real-world uses (paris.hotel / yummy.food etc) Most of them are a fools game.*
*ps. Even the worst altcoins (crypto) do not ever require a panic sell based on renewal fees.

•••
I mainly try to find two-word combinations that really makes sense, as it seems to attrect some end-users. I tend not to care that much about the extension itself, when it comes to new gTLDs.

A random example: Recently, I registered Silver.care as I think this two-word combination makes sense. I DID NOT register it because I am a huge fan of the .care extension. The combination is everything here.

However, extensins such as .com, .org, and some ccTLDs etc. are obvious exceptions, as one-word (and some two-word) names makes perfect sense as these are on high demand on the domain aftermarket.

•••
In my opinion ngLTDs were made to ruin the domaining industry. Domainers cannot stack up many in their inventories like they do with .COMs due to high renewals for 'premiums', while end users have no problem paying a large sum for renewal since it would be 1 or a couple more names they want to use. Also, with the wide range of ngTLDs there are plenty of available 'nice' names to reg.

ngTLDs are bad for this industry imo.

•••
)When I first started my very first purchases where predominately gTLDs with awful combinations (and some real crap coms, info, biz etc) - not sold one of them and it was an expensive learning curve - they will not be getting renewed.

Once they drop I will have around 5% of my portfolio in what I think (others might disagree) are good matching gTLDs. I agree with @Fancy.domains that there is a market for good quality combo's, but my holding will reflect what I feel is the higher risk associated in selling them.

In regards to the OP's question, I do feel down the road there will be a major culling - to much choice is a bad thing for sales.

https://www.businessinsider.com/why-too-much-choice-is-bad-2018-10?r=UK&IR=T

•••
•••
I am not a fan of the duplication especially in plural and singular forms (loan&loans, review&reviews, etc). I can't understand ICANNs thinking when they were approved. Yes sometimes one is better but the confusion is terrible.

However I do see one compelling reason for having both say tech and technology and global and international etc. It gives more companies the opportunity to exactly match their company name to a domain (in the way DKC.technology does for example).

Bob

•••
I am not a fan of the duplication especially in plural and singular forms (loan&loans, review&reviews, etc). I can't understand ICANNs thinking when they were approved. Yes sometimes one is better but the confusion is terrible.

However I do see one compelling reason for having both say tech and technology and global and international etc. It gives more companies the opportunity to exactly match their company name to a domain (in the way DKC.technology does for example).

Bob

Great post! I fully agree.

•••
In my opinion ngLTDs were made to ruin the domaining industry. Domainers cannot stack up many in their inventories like they do with .COMs due to high renewals for 'premiums', while end users have no problem paying a large sum for renewal since it would be 1 or a couple more names they want to use. Also, with the wide range of ngTLDs there are plenty of available 'nice' names to reg.

ngTLDs are bad for this industry imo.
No one cares about domains investors honestly :) New gTLDs were created to give end users much more choice, which also means domain investors now need to think much more harder - if they want to stack up their inventories with some quality names, they really needs to be ahead of average end users - they can not just go like "oh, it is random LLL in .com so it will be worth at least XX XXX)...

•••
No one cares about domains investors honestly
Yes but this is a domain investors forum and we should be worried since this is a blatant attack on this industry.

New gTLDs were created to give end users much more choice
Because almost all the good names are owned by domain investors for reselling purposes and registries want that extra cash to be theirs.

if they want to stack up their inventories with some quality names, they really needs to be ahead of average end users
Plenty of quality names are available, even in .COM (through aftermarket, auctions, and closeouts) so why risk it in ngTLDs where reg and renewal fees are substantially more than the older gTLDs? How would you feel if your names get 'premiumed' and now the registry is asking x20 the standard reg/renewal fee? It happens.

ngTLDs are good for end users, ngTLDs are bad for investors.

•••
it in ngTLDs where reg and renewal fees are substantially more than the older gTLDs? How would you feel if your names get 'premiumed' and now the registry is asking x20 the standard reg/renewal fee? It happens.

My understanding is that a domain name that stays registered cannot be later changed to premium, it is only when domains expire that, in a few cases, the registry convert them into premium (as .co and a few country codes now do as well). Am I wrong in this thinking? Have there been cases where a ngTLD that was continuously registered was changed to premium?

I know there have been claims of that on NPs, but the ones I recall were people misunderstanding and thinking that the deeply discounted initial year price was the regular price, and when faced with higher renewal they claim it had been converted to premium, but that was wrong.

For those who plan to hold or use a domain name for many years, I think that multi-year registration makes sense, and that is true for all types of domains, not just ngTLDs.

Bob

•••
Have there been cases where a ngTLD that was continuously registered was changed to premium?

Seen a couple of cases here at NP that's why I assumed it can happen to the best of us.

•••
I think duplication is a major issue with new extensions.
There are too many overlapping/redundant strings, plus singular/plural and foreign languages variations.
Examples of alternatives to .realestate:
.PROPERTY .PROPERTIES .REALTY .APARTMENTS .HOMES .CONDOS .VILLAS .MORTGAGE .RENT .RENTALS .HOUSE
Plus foreign variants: .MAISON .HAUS .IMMO .IMMOBILIEN .CASA
https://www.namepros.com/threads/realestate-new-gtld.1110902/#post-6989921

Then you have stuff like .pics .pictures .picture
.photo .photos .photography
I mean, come on

For a domain holder this is problematic. You kinda feel 'compelled' to secure the variants of your domain to cover bases. Not just existing variants but future ones as well. That creates overhead and uncertainty.

On the other hand, aliasing would have been an option to alleviate the issue.
This is what Cira does for .ca domains. If your register a name with (or without) accents you don't have to worry about the variations, they are reserved for you. If you own telephone.ca someone else cannot register téléphone.ca. But you can if you want it. Peace of mind.
https://cira.ca/register-your-ca/domains-french-accented-characters
Likewise, if you could register .photo and automatically have rights on the .photos .photography counterparts this would be nice. Even better if all the names were automatically registered and resolving across extensions. Just a thought.

We don't need hundreds of arbitrary strings. Opening the floodgates like Icann did is bad and hurts the industry as a whole, including the industry players.
I think new extensions should be introduced sparingly, on a case by case basis, after careful evaluation of their viability. What they did is damaging and destabilizing to the domain ecosystem.

Keep in mind the real goal of all of this was to create new revenue streams for the registrars and the registries.

•••
Seen a couple of cases here at NP that's why I assumed it can happen to the best of us.

Thanks. Not everything written on NPs is true though, :xf.wink:.

As I said I have seen claims of it, and every one I looked into were either them calling premium what was simply the normal renewal rate and in one case a domain name that expired and was then taken over by a registry (I am sure there are many more than one example of the latter - e.g. the former FFM ones seem to be turning many expired/unregistered into premium lately).

Anyway if there is one clear specific case of a non-premium becoming premium while still registered, could someone please cite the specific case. I am not saying it does not happen, just I have yet to find a case to support the claim when looked at. If it does happen, I feel that ngTLD owners should lobby ICANN to make it impossible as it is unfair in my opinion.

Bob

Last edited:
•••
.photo .photos .photography

Although here might be a case where the argument I posted above for domains that are exact match to their business name. For example, many semi-professional or professional photographers operate as a sole propietorship with their own name. Let's say the name is Kate Doe. Having the domain name KateDoe.photography is a perfect fit (whereas photo or photos to me does not have the right feel for that use).

I think the case is less clear between photo and photos and I would not have approved both.

Bob

btw I agree entirely with your suggestion re aliasing - for example aliasing of loan and loans and review and reviews and photo and photos makes perfect sense. I wish it had been done.

•••
if there is one clear specific case of a non-premium becoming premium while still registered, could someone please cite the specific case. I am not saying it does not happen, just I have yet to find a case to support the claim when looked at.

Here's a case where you were involved in the comments but we never received an update on what happened to it:
Years ago I registered a .town domain name, a personal one for myself.
Just to be on the safe side, the user didn't specify for how many years he initially regged this name.

However suddenly last year (not known to me) the domain renewed @ $150 dollars!!! Apparently they have deemed my specific domain name a 'premium' domain and for that reason will bill me the same again.
However, it is clear from his words that the name wasn't dropped but renewed at a premium.
Link to thread: https://www.namepros.com/threads/town-domain-renewal-scam-apparently-premium-now.1112296/

Note: apologies to OP since this is off topic and it kinda hijacked your thread. We can continue our discussion in the thread mentioned above.

•••
Back