Dynadot

advice Be The Master Of Your Domains With Your Own Landing Pages

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Bram C.

AlmightyDomains.com + HeroForYou.comTop Member
Impact
In 2010, when I started out with domaining, I didn’t have my own landing pages. All the domains that I purchased back then I would simply park at Sedo. The sales were slowly pouring in after my first few months of domaining but I was sure that I could do a lot better. So I decided I would build my own landing pages for my domains and I would do it for 3 important reasons:

1. I wanted to be in control. I wanted to build a smooth user experience. To be able to use my own sales pitch and decide how my landing page would look like.
  2. I wanted to get rid of the middle man. I didn’t like that I had to pay commissions. Just like anyone I wanted to make as much profit as possible.
  3. I wanted to be able to optimize my landing pages by doing A/B split testing and I wanted to have detailed stats about my visitors. Where are they coming from, what website are they going to after they leave my landing page, are they returning to my landing page at a later date.

READ MORE: http://domainative.com/be-the-master-of-your-domains-with-your-own-landing-pages/

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Honestly, I have never tried Efty. But I know some friends of mine who did and they were pleased about the service so I figured I would add it to my blog post as an alternative choice to create your own landers.
Efty evidently is a more easy way to get started with landers compared to doing it yourself from scratch (and in the end you eliminate the middleman as well since you have zero commissions to pay).

Thanks for the response.Your landing page and main site look very polished.

Not that I am the best resource for input, but if I am being honest there is a lot of writing on your landing pages. I probably would not take that much time to read everything under the sections like "Easy to Remember", "Efficient Marketing", etc... That is just my 2 cents. This is just nit picking as your setup is something to be desired.

•••
this will get the domain into your page

<?php
preg_match('/[^.]+\.[^.]+$/', $_SERVER["HTTP_HOST"],$match);
$localhost = $_SERVER["HTTP_HOST"];
$domain= $match[0];

echo $domain;
?>

•••
Last edited:
•••
Love this Bram. Awesome. Your landing page had stuck out to me in the past. It's in my bookmarks.

•••
I'm jealous of your web design skills. :-D

Very nice work.

•••
thank you for the deailed information,

why do you think a landing page can sell your domain / versus a bad landing page can't ?

if a visitor doesn't come to your site in order to look for the availability of the domain
do you think you can convice somebody to to buy the domain??

versus
why should a bad landing page keep someone from buying,
if they were looking to buy the domain?

•••
thank you for thanking me for the detailed infrormation.

however i never talked about landers selling domains.
just about making things as easy as possible for those who want to buy, to contact, negotiate.. and hopefully agree on price in the end and sell.

but its okay if you want to use the worst landeers in the world.
it is yoru birthright to do as you will. and mine.. and his.. and everyone else's heh.
cheers.

I was not referring to you @alcy but to the orignal poster @Bram C.

and its not about birth rights but about strategies to sell domains

and its a serious question

•••
Thanks for your reply Bram

I have seen your portfolio a long ago and was feeling you got some best names , but now i m clear why you have not parked 700 names because you don't have parking revenue that make sense to go for landing page.

I will test couple more month with parkingcrew and see if some name continue bring atleast $10 each month if not i will start making landing page for that name and focus selling them as outbound marketing.

•••
Great read and gave me lots of food for thought.

Say you have a lot of domains, if you want your own custom lander, you'd need the domain hosted...how do you determine which domains would be best to create custom landers for? I'm assuming some keyword research but any other tips or info on determining the best/most likely domains to create landers for?

Thanks

•••
Great read and gave me lots of food for thought.

Say you have a lot of domains, if you want your own custom lander, you'd need the domain hosted...how do you determine which domains would be best to create custom landers for? I'm assuming some keyword research but any other tips or info on determining the best/most likely domains to create landers for?

Thanks
By default I use my landing pages on all my domain names that I purchase. When stats become available on the domain name I then decide if the landing page is the right choice or if a parked page would be a potential better choice.

•••
I think your landing page is a bit crowded. You should use more whitespace. I also think you should put your mission and sales pitch on top and your (booking.com) advertising on the bottom. But I assume your landing page is already more effective compared to a sedo page for example :) How long have you been using it?

I was concentrating on function lately
that "design" I use for 1 year or so

the sales message is on top
and at the body below

the hotel ads give the domain a legit look
like a life webpage
including google traffic by "content"

last week I worked a lot on it
as efty and nameinvestors were giving me headache
supplying unsatisfying solutions

I integrated my domain database
and make the landing pages show buy now prices

http://xxbp.com

in case the domain has a buy now option
and make them auto pay
using paypal below 500 $ and escrow above

if the users is in for the message of the domain and not for the domain itself
he/she can book a hotel
( 6 or so did so last year )

now the problem with ads is trademark
having 1 kind of ads ( in my case hotels ) makes it easier to avoid issues
same is true for parking
you never know who owns a trademark on what

Last edited:
•••
I have use them in my local live business site, but here you just adding one simple webpage, so you have to add all your domains with google analytics account correct.
I forgot the setup of statcounter.com but also you have to generate separate script of each name.

Is any single script work for all domain or something from your central css?

I created a landing page template, inside that main template there's a statcounter script tag. All my landing pages uses the same script tag (so I don't have to add a new one each time I create a new landing page for a new domain). You perfectly see on statcounter what domain gets what traffic (and tons more stats).

•••
That's easy then statcounter is the way to go.
Thanks you for your nice tips, i request you to start a new conversation for out bound marketing based on your experience and also if you can share your experience with namejet auctions sales will be helpful to many more.

•••
So where is that wordpress page hosted ?

as I said.. no hosting expert here. their servers I presume.
I know I'm not hosting it, that's all. and frankly the rest is not something I give much thought or care to. personally. so I never investigated this answer.
cheers

•••
as I said.. no hosting expert here. their servers I presume.
I know I'm not hosting it, that's all. and frankly the rest is not something I give much thought or care to. personally. so I never investigated this answer.
cheers
I do use Above but not capacity. I might try and see. I would see if I.can display the refering domain which would mean the domain the buyer is interested and poasibly prepopulatw it in a field so that the buyer will not have to type the domain

•••
I do use Above but not capacity. I might try and see. I would see if I.can display the refering domain which would mean the domain the buyer is interested and poasibly prepopulatw it in a field so that the buyer will not have to type the domain

you can do this url redirect from bodis too.. bypassing parked page. the problem with bodis is that it will not mask your url. and Above will do that. which is great cuase then whoever comes to yoru page sees the domain for sale in address bar. else he sees: blabla.wordpress.com
or somehing like that.

I don't think its possible to pass domain name as parameter so the buyer does not have to type it like on my page.. but.. what do I know about html and wordpress. so if ever u find way.. let me know
cheers

•••
Thank you for sharing your experience! It was really encouraging for me to see that what I am doing is right. I love the idea of having my own landing pages. I am a developer first domainer. I started domaining recently but it is something I am loving it.

When I bought 450+ domains (Yes! lol), I had no idea what to do. I knew about marketplaces to sell the domains well before but never had experience with any parking company. I googled and found few but those were not even close to my expectations. That is where my development experience came into play.

I decided to setup my own domaining portal where I can list my domains, manage them, receive offers from potential buyers and most importantly remove the middle man completely. I created a professional website with a very strong back-end portal to manage everything with just few clicks. Although, I spent a lot of time (and it is still under development) but it was worth spending.

All of my domains are listed now at my own website. It gives me unlimited choices to do whatever I want. I can customize landing pages for each domain and update price/discount etc. Later on, I decided to add blog and coupons(just finished yesterday) for the visitors. My goal is to make everything automatic with very less manual work.

Now I can sit back and relax without worrying about managing my domains at 10 different places. The website is https://www.metalogics.xyz

I will be more focusing on developing few more domains into websites in future. It is fun for me now!

•••
then the question remains valid as to what lander to pick

You keep it simple; the domain presented clearly, a "may be for sale", an eMail address (image) that uses the domain name.

Maybe a quick statement of use, or invitation to make contact.

That's it.

•••
You keep it simple; the domain presented clearly, a "may be for sale", an eMail address (image) that uses the domain name.

Maybe a quick statement of use, or invitation to make contact.

That's it.

correct. beautiful things (like qualiy domains) should always be kept simple. why mess with fancy landers when domain is already a beauty. it's like putting makeup on a naturally beautiful woman. thats just wrong. heh.

anyway, cheers.

•••
And guess what domain he will choose then? The lander that looks the most professional and which has the best converting sales copy.

That's an opinion you have there, not a fact. You are saying that if someone has to pick between 5 different names they are going to pict the 'pretty' page. That's just false, and foolish to say.

If you are using that kind of logic and proof for all of this, I would have to say that the rest of what you are saying is quite faulty.

•••
That's what you call an opinion, not a fact at all. In fact, I can STRONGLY say that you are way off-base with that statement.

You are seriously suggesting that with a choice of 5 names that a buyer is going to pick the domain with the 'prettiest page' that sells the name the hardest.

Sorry, but that's not true or accurate at all.

Quality, not quantity my friend. 10 - 15 of your sales could equal 1 or 2 of mine. Lots of lowball offers do come in when you have a 'pretty page'. If that's the neighborhood you enjoy, then that's your prerogative.

How would you stop lowball offers from simple landers? Do you have any mechanism in place? Surely, you don't! In many cases, you don't even stop spamming, anyone can flood you with spamy emails by running a 10 lines script.

I like your assumption of receiving xxx+ offer with simple landers which is totally false until your domain has that much potential and someone really wants to buy.

Moreover, if I can create pretty landers, I can also easily filter out lowball offers by setting a minimum offer price for each domain. It is not that hard. But I wouldn't do that! Many times lowball offers lead to high sales after negotiation. I don't mind receiving it!

If your domain is worth 10k, no one is going to offer you 10k at start. It is your negotiation skills and ability to understand human psychology(!) which will get you desired results.

•••
•••
Anyways, let's just agree to disagree. If you don't believe that your own personal landers can make a huge difference then that's your prerogative.

For clarification; I like your pages. I think you did a great job of design and education.

I just don't think they help sell a name as much as you think. Maybe you have a good combination of good domain + nice lander.

I've had quite a few UX/Design conversations with people that have stellar domains, and no matter what the landing page it simply came down to the domain, asking price, and what someone was willing to pay.

It's okay to have a good looking lander, I just don't think it's worth spending a lot of time to focus on.

•••
Doing A/B tests on domain landers is difficult because every domain is different.

thank you for your eloberate explaination.

I regard myself an expert in split testing
as I deal with it seriously since 2008
and I have delevoped tools to do so better since then

( http://web.archive.org/web/20081106154328/http://trafficsplitter.net/screenshots/ )

they way you describe it for me is definetely not the best way to do it
as it takes a lot of time
and is more or less vage

in split testing on low traffic ( less then 10000 hits / day )
you don 't want many variables

max you test are 2 versions A/B

but they need to be completely different
in order to tell you something
just the sales copy won't do it

and they definetly need to be be on the exactly same domains while testing
as you want to eliminate seasonable factors like football championchips or xmas
holidays or thunderstorms

and you want to rotate evenly
1 visitor see version A next visitor sees version B
and watch out: first visitor will always see version A and second visitor will see version B only

thats the only way to make a valid spit test

Last edited:
•••
In 2010, when I started out with domaining, I didn’t have my own landing pages. All the domains that I purchased back then I would simply park at Sedo. The sales were slowly pouring in after my first few months of domaining but I was sure that I could do a lot better. So I decided I would build my own landing pages for my domains and I would do it for 3 important reasons:

1. I wanted to be in control. I wanted to build a smooth user experience. To be able to use my own sales pitch and decide how my landing page would look like.
  2. I wanted to get rid of the middle man. I didn’t like that I had to pay commissions. Just like anyone I wanted to make as much profit as possible.
  3. I wanted to be able to optimize my landing pages by doing A/B split testing and I wanted to have detailed stats about my visitors. Where are they coming from, what website are they going to after they leave my landing page, are they returning to my landing page at a later date.

READ MORE: http://domainative.com/be-the-master-of-your-domains-with-your-own-landing-pages/
Thank you Bram for sharing. Great stuff. Efty is great Doron is a good guy with great customer service

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back