Domain Empire

status-resolved BAN member: barybadrinath ... There is no room for threats on namePros

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris Hydrick

Top Member
Impact
Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I think my position is a lot more tenable than the one not taking immediate action on a party that has been involved twice now with threats.
We can live with being less tenable if it means being more tolerable.

Most importantly, if we genuinely believed that someone was a threat to someone else, then we would ban them like we've done many times before. Those types of bans are essentially forever.

We understand that you may not have witnessed or experienced many harmless people having overly-emotional responses (making baseless threats, exaggerations, or misinterpreted statements) out of anger that they would never actually do, but it happens all of the time. It is not allowed on NamePros, but we aren't going to banish someone for life if we have enough history with the member to reasonably conclude that they're unlikely to pose a real threat to anyone.

We've seen far scarier and explicit threats from a highly-admired individual, but clearly the majority of the industry gave that person a pass, even after multiple threatening incidents. Tolerable seems to be more common than tenable in this business, and each of us will have our own feelings about whether that is a good thing in society.

People do report it. The issue is not reporting it.
The issue is your actions in response to these reports.
While it may not have been the action you wanted, there was not a lack of action; his account received the appropriate infractions/restrictions to put a stop to the unprofessional behavior.

All this said, everything is notated on his account to assist us in making informed decisions, so our opinion may change as a result of new reports and he could be banned in the future.

•••

Most importantly, if we genuinely believe that someone is a threat to someone else, then we would ban them like we've done many times before. Those types of bans are essentially forever.

We understand that you may not have witnessed or experienced many harmless people having overly-emotional responses (making baseless threats, exaggerations, or misinterpreted statements) out of anger that they would never actually do, but it happens all of the time. It is not allowed on NamePros, but we aren't going to banish someone for life if we have enough history with the member to reasonably conclude that they're unlikely to pose a real threat to anyone.

We've seen far scarier and explicit threats from a highly-admired individual, but clearly the majority of the industry gave that person a pass, even after multiple threatening incidents. Tolerable seems to be more common than tenable in this business, and each of us will have our own feelings about whether that is a good thing in society.

While it may not have been the action you wanted, there was not a lack of action; his account received the appropriate infractions/restrictions to put a stop to the unprofessional behavior.

All this said, everything is notated on his account to assist us in making informed decisions, so our opinion may change as a result of new reports and he could be banned in the future.

Again, we are going to have to agree to disagree.

That this behavior is considered "tolerable" is laughable to me, especially for someone who received infractions for threats before.

My opinion is the mods lack of reasonable actions have lead to most, if not all, of the current issues and strife on NamePros and a loss of many top members that have specifically mentioned that.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
My opinion is the mods lack of reasonable actions have lead to most, if not all of the current issues and strife on NamePros.
Fair enough.

Fortunately, most of those decisions will be in the hands of members like you soon, and you can do what you think is best.

Edited: Read more

Last edited:
•••
(Sorry to repeat this post, I wasn't sure which thread to put it on. Please remove if this is not allowed.)

Hello. There is a lot of misinformation (and simple misunderstanding) here around my activities on Wikipedia, and while I have invited anyone who has questions to engage with me either on Twitter or on Wikipedia (links available elsewhere in this thread—I am not allowed to include links in my posts on this site without upgrading my account) there haven't been many takers. I was hesitant to create an account here because I am not a member of the domaining industry and did not want to seem like I was barging in on Mr. Monster's community, nor do I want to escalate things with Mr. Monster. However after being invited here by a few people and seeing repeated confusion I decided to create an account. I do thank those of you who did reach out to me for clarification—I believe strongly in open, good-faith dialogue.

I have been quite taken aback to find all these threads about me on a website I am not a part of, and am saddened to see that the thread linking to the Change.org petition full of lies about me has remained up. I have published a clarifying statement on that petition here, which I invite you all to read. I have just tweeted out the link and if someone who is able to post links could link it here directly, I would appreciate it. I have tried to explain things as clearly as I can.

I hope you all are staying safe and healthy in this pandemic.

Yours,
Molly

•••
(Sorry to repeat this post, I wasn't sure which thread to put it on. Please remove if this is not allowed.)

Hello. There is a lot of misinformation (and simple misunderstanding) here around my activities on Wikipedia, and while I have invited anyone who has questions to engage with me either on Twitter or on Wikipedia (links available elsewhere in this thread—I am not allowed to include links in my posts on this site without upgrading my account) there haven't been many takers. I was hesitant to create an account here because I am not a member of the domaining industry and did not want to seem like I was barging in on Mr. Monster's community, nor do I want to escalate things with Mr. Monster. However after being invited here by a few people and seeing repeated confusion I decided to create an account. I do thank those of you who did reach out to me for clarification—I believe strongly in open, good-faith dialogue.

I have been quite taken aback to find all these threads about me on a website I am not a part of, and am saddened to see that the thread linking to the Change.org petition full of lies about me has remained up. I have published a clarifying statement on that petition here, which I invite you all to read. I have just tweeted out the link and if someone who is able to post links could link it here directly, I would appreciate it. I have tried to explain things as clearly as I can.

Yours,
Molly

https://blog.mollywhite.net/response-to-the-changeorg-petition-about-me

•••
When you allow such vile behavior to fester with slaps on the wrist, again and again and again, and the people responsible for it are still welcome to participate, that sends a strong message.

All of the people who aren't okay with said behavior start to leave. Like me, after this post. I'm not the first, and I won't be the last, and it won't really make a visible difference in the short term, BUT...

Little by little, the people you have left will be the people who are okay with vile behavior. And you're stuck laying in the bed you've made, which becomes increasingly more vile.

I can't in good conscious continue to participate or be associated with a community with leadership that's okay with giving someone like this so many chances, not to mention any small % of members who are okay with it either.

Last edited:
•••
@Peak.Domains,

We understand. As moderators, we don't like it either, and that is why we try to stop it as soon as we can. We want and expect everyone to act professionally.

However, we also understand that everyone has bad days and an occasional emotional outburst rarely defines an individual. A lot of people struggle to control their emotions behind the keyboard, even generally-revered professionals on occasion.

We hope you will return because empowering the community won't work as well without members who have high standards for professionalism.

•••
@Peak.Domains,

We understand. As moderators, we don't like it either, and that is why we try to stop it as soon as we can. We want and expect everyone to act professionally.

However, we also understand that everyone has bad days and an occasional emotional outburst rarely defines an individual. A lot of people struggle to control their emotions behind the keyboard, even generally-revered professionals on occasion.

We hope you will return because empowering the community won't work as well without members who have high standards for professionalism.

Plus severely, really poor english.

He CANT HURT YOU, MOLLY, he lives India
(That is if meant it the way you interpreted it,) which i dont believe) maybe he meant to say;
face-to-face, man-to-man, man to woman

Srry if u threatened noone should feel like that

Last edited:
•••

Most importantly, if we genuinely believed that someone was a threat to someone else, then we would ban them like we've done many times before. Those types of bans are essentially forever.

This is why you need to think long and hard about the community policing this place, because it will become clique vs clique, Oh they got so and so restricted we need to go after so and so. If you don't believe that's real, well then I am not sure what else to say. Your opening line was spot on many have not seen the over top craziness by some. So if they jump right away to ban someone we going to have a lot of bans and reciprocal bans.

This is not an easy job, we need to start thinking here about what's allowed and what's not. A threat is a threat, it can be seen by some as super serious and others as a hot head running their mouth. But this is a big world with a lot of technology, I live in Philadelphia, I am not going to travel to Canada to do something physically, but if I wanted something done, I know the means to facilitate that, and it would get done, the darkweb and some bitcoin can get a lot done.

I don't know Molly White personally, she is not a member here, she should not be getting threatened anywhere, but certainly not here as a non member.

I don't know why the Epik wikipedia page is being handled as it is, I don't think the page should just read like a registrar for neo nazis and the far right, it affects every customer, if you think it doesn't you're off your game.

I hope Rob can handle this at a level higher up with management or ownership even, though I doubt Jimmy Wales is getting involved with something way below his pay grade. But Molly White's name should not be listed here in every post she is not the only person at Wikipedia. I mean there are several people here I know their real name, I never address them as that here, I don't reference @Grilled by his real full name, because he did not choose to make that his forum name. So people's forum name or user name at Wikipedia should be used in my worthless opinion.

I do agree with @bmugford that some of this stuff reflects poorly. I now see Molly joined@Molly White welcome Molly, this is not what this place is normally about.

Maybe Namepros really needs to become the place to Buy, Sell and Discuss domain names like @RJ started and do away with the nonsense.

Last edited:
•••
When you allow such vile behavior to fester with slaps on the wrist, again and again and again, and the people responsible for it are still welcome to participate, that sends a strong message.

All of the people who aren't okay with said behavior start to leave. Like me, after this post. I'm not the first, and I won't be the last, and it won't really make a visible difference in the short term, BUT...

Little by little, the people you have left will be the people who are okay with vile behavior. And you're stuck laying in the bed you've made, which becomes increasingly more vile.

I can't in good conscious continue to participate or be associated with a community with leadership that's okay with giving someone like this so many chances, not to mention any small % of members who are okay with it either.

Take care Peak, be safe.

•••

Yours,
Molly

Welcome Molly, I hope you are staying safe and that this episode gets wrapped up quickly so you have less stress in this extremely stressful time for the entire planet.

•••
Fair enough.

Fortunately, most of those decisions will be in the hands of members like you soon, and you can do what you think is best.

We'll see how that goes.

you don't seem to have much faith in the system you are about to implement. then question arises, why did you decide to implement it?

•••
you don't seem to have much faith in the system you are about to implement. then question arises, why did you decide to implement it?
@equity78 explained it well.

We are absolutely confident it will work eventually, but there will be a lot to work out before we get to that point, and many members are going to have a new appreciation for how easy things seemed in the past when they didn’t make the decisions.

As long as the goal of empowered members is to make NamePros better and more professional, then it will work. The difficulty will be selecting those members automatically and having a system in place that demotes them if the consensus is that their actions are not reflective of that goal.

•••

We are absolutely confident it will work eventually, but there will be a lot to work out before we get to that point, and many members are going to have a new appreciation for how easy things seemed in the past when they didn’t make the decisions.

You've been talking about that for almost 4 and a half years - https://www.namepros.com/threads/help-namepros-decide-on-community-driven-moderation.904576/

Why not simply get more mods. You've lost some but never replaced the ones you lost.

•••
We’ve been thinking about it for a long time, but that thread was the first request for feedback on the general concept. We never moved forward with that plan because, as was pointed out by members, there are many flaws with it and it’s too prone to manipulation.

There’s an important distinction between the old plan and what we’re working on now: that thread was about using the feedback from all/many members to automatically perform certain actions (e.g., delete a post), and the new plan is to empower top members of the community to perform moderator actions.

In short, that was an old idea that had too many potential problems. The new plan should solve those and is actively being developed.

•••
•••
Got abuse other week mods just delete except in PM.

Last edited:
•••

As long as the goal of empowered members is to make NamePros better and more professional, then it will work. The difficulty will be selecting those members automatically and having a system in place that demotes them if the consensus is that their actions are not reflective of that goal.

Actually, the difficulty is appeasing everyone.

This forum is amazing. truly believe Quarantine is getting to people.

Thank you.

Samer

Last edited:
•••
Status
Not open for further replies.
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back