Dynadot

Attorney Wanted - Who Do You Recommend?

NameSilo
Watch

NiceDayVince

Established Member
Impact
I'm looking to get in touch with domain/web law attorneys to see if I have a case. Or at least for legal advice.

Who do you use? Recommend?

Thanks

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
You have ZERO case.
Don't waste your or their time.
There's a legal sub-forum you can use here.

•••
Is that your opinion?

Looks like a class action to me. I'll get a second, third, fourth, opinion.

I don't want this happening to every noob that makes the same simple mistake I did.

I bet it happens thousands of times per day and GoDaddy looks the other way so they can collect fees left and right on domains registrations that they know good and well will either be useless to the person registering, or result in legal disputes. All so they can get $13.27 + $35 admin fee per pop?

The only warning they ever gave me was:
"Yes! Your domain is available. Buy it before someone else does."

•••
@DU I believe you're right. I don't believe I had a case there. I spoke with Godaddy and they explained how it would be impossible for every registrar to implement the trademark check on each search to warn people prior to registration... It was my responsibility to look into legal implications before making a move on that domain. Now I know.

I see now that I was feeling afraid, and angry, so I was on the defense. It was an introspective experience for me at the very least. I accept full responsibility for my reaction. My apologies if I offended anyone.

I'd like you to see that my need in the situation was simply to protect innocent well meaning newbies like myself who are making the same mistake every day. Hopefully none of them are getting in any trouble.

The good news is, GoDaddy deleted the registration and refunded my money. No harm. And now I know.

Peace be with yall

•••
Domain/Trademark Attorneys don't come cheap. You probably chose the simplest/cheapest solution. Just delete the domain. Noobs don't really need all those hassles or expenses while they are learning the domain business.

•••
@DU I believe you're right. I don't believe I had a case there. I spoke with Godaddy and they explained how it would be impossible for every registrar to implement the trademark check on each search to warn people prior to registration... It was my responsibility to look into legal implications before making a move on that domain. Now I know.

There's really no class here (potentially the TM holders) and there has been attempts to create a TM warehouse of sorts but the laws are vast and murky waters into which you can't walk alone. You'll wanted into many other legal minefields as you go on - taxes, scammers, etc. Your job, quite frankly, is to take care of yourself and not worry about the rest of the world too much (except in obvious cases of gross misconduct or skullduggery).

You'll be ok :)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back