IT.COM

poll As a new investor how does advice given affect your domaining decisions?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

For New Investors: Does advice given to you by experienced domainers affect your buy/sell decisions?

• 1st

Yes

votes
    88.4%
  • 2nd

No

votes
    11.6%

equity78

Top Member
TheDomains Staff
TLDInvestors.com
Impact
Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
voted yes, stands to reason that you should listen, read and learn from industry veterans that have had success

I have noticed a change in how I perceive what are good domains and what is not, my purchasing decisions are improving (I think!), I am hand registering far far less than when I started, getting a better handle on what to drop/keep, also I think I am getting better at pricing my domains - this is all from reading posts, listening to Podcasts and keeping up to date with industry news from people who have had / are having success.

All the above is under constant refinement, always trying to improve and read and listen to those that deserve it through their hard work and proven success

No need to reinvent the wheel........

If you are not willing to or are refusing to listen to people who are making a living out of this game it would be interesting to see why that is in the comments.....

•••
At ten years into this come 2021, I see myself as a new investor still. Why is that? I came into this on the cusp of a TLD revolution, where just a couple years after I discovered domain names (cctlds, .com) all of a sudden there appeared a plethora of .awesomeness. I believed, and STILL do, that how amazing it was we could have an entire domain name BE the brand name right across the dot! Like, perfect fits!

So, over the years, I've bought like an enduser, not an informed investor. This has its downfalls. When you buy something because you like it, ie. as an enduser, you lose sight of the fact that many, many enduser sales were the one and only sale that may have ever been made on that name. Thus, me buying up new G's with just the lens of just an enduser, well guess what.. I was the only potential buyer for that domain!\

What I have learned is, there are a ton of variables and nuances outside of aesthetics. Just because a domain LOOKS good, doesn't mean it will sell. Just because a domain sells, doesn't always mean it has to look good. I have learned this from advice from the experienced hands on deck, given to countless other NPer's and myself. What I have learned is, you have to decide what you are in this for. Once you know that, you have to be willing to refine or even completely change your strategy in order to accomplish what it is you need.

It does help to be able to wear different lens and be able to focus on the "why". Why is those odd-looking names that don't make sense actually sell? Why is it there is such a demand for just one TLD, eg. .com? What I have learned is, rather than outright wearing blinders just because I don't like the aesthetics of something, it is better to try to understand it. You don't have to like or agree with something to understand it, and to give it fair chance.

Still I am learning, and still I truly appreciate the input and advice given day-in, day-out by those whom walked the path before us.

•••
At ten years into this come 2021, I see myself as a new investor still. Why is that? I came into this on the cusp of a TLD revolution, where just a couple years after I discovered domain names (cctlds, .com) all of a sudden there appeared a plethora of .awesomeness. I believed, and STILL do, that how amazing it was we could have an entire domain name BE the brand name right across the dot! Like, perfect fits!

So, over the years, I've bought like an enduser, not an informed investor. This has its downfalls. When you buy something because you like it, ie. as an enduser, you lose sight of the fact that many, many enduser sales were the one and only sale that may have ever been made on that name. Thus, me buying up new G's with just the lens of just an enduser, well guess what.. I was the only potential buyer for that domain!\

What I have learned is, there are a ton of variables and nuances outside of aesthetics. Just because a domain LOOKS good, doesn't mean it will sell. Just because a domain sells, doesn't always mean it has to look good. I have learned this from advice from the experienced hands on deck, given to countless other NPer's and myself. What I have learned is, you have to decide what you are in this for. Once you know that, you have to be willing to refine or even completely change your strategy in order to accomplish what it is you need.

It does help to be able to wear different lens and be able to focus on the "why". Why is those odd-looking names that don't make sense actually sell? Why is it there is such a demand for just one TLD, eg. .com? What I have learned is, rather than outright wearing blinders just because I don't like the aesthetics of something, it is better to try to understand it. You don't have to like or agree with something to understand it, and to give it fair chance.

Still I am learning, and still I truly appreciate the input and advice given day-in, day-out by those whom walked the path before us.

nice comment. Thank you for this

•••
voted yes, stands to reason that you should listen, read and learn from industry veterans that have had success

I have noticed a change in how I perceive what are good domains and what is not, my purchasing decisions are improving (I think!), I am hand registering far far less than when I started, getting a better handle on what to drop/keep, also I think I am getting better at pricing my domains - this is all from reading posts, listening to Podcasts and keeping up to date with industry news from people who have had / are having success.

All the above is under constant refinement, always trying to improve and read and listen to those that deserve it through their hard work and proven success

No need to reinvent the wheel........

If you are not willing to or are refusing to listen to people who are making a living out of this game it would be interesting to see why that is in the comments.....

Great post! What are some of your favorite podcasters? I 100 percent agree that listening and modeling strategies and tactics from the guys and gals who do this day in and day out is a pretty key thing I try to do every time I pop on this site. Those who put the hours in and accomplish their goals within this field, and who never give up learning from their mistakes, are the ones who make it.

•••
Great post! What are some of your favorite podcasters? I 100 percent agree that listening and modeling strategies and tactics from the guys and gals who do this day in and day out is a pretty key thing I try to do every time I pop on this site. Those who put the hours in and accomplish their goals within this field, and who never give up learning from their mistakes, are the ones who make it.
Domain Name Wire podcast's below

https://domainnamewire.com/category/podcasts

Keith DeBoer has started doing a good one on Brandables - see below thread

https://www.namepros.com/threads/podcast-brandable-domain-review-2.1192727/

Alvin Brown does some good podcasts as well

https://www.kickstartcommerce.com/category/podcasts

check out @equity78 website - great articles/blogs :xf.smile:

•••
Domain Name Wire podcast's below

Keith DeBoer has started doing a good one on Brandables - see below thread

Alvin Brown does some good podcasts as well

check out @equity78 website - great articles/blogs :xf.smile:

DUUUUUDE You Rock!!! thx.

•••
I would be interested in the reasoning of the people who voted 'no'. Who knows, maybe they are the innovators who will disrupt the market and we will learn from them one day? :)

•••
Definitely, I make each purchase after consulting with a person, who is somewhat experienced, and so far it helped me a lot, and I did profit on the names I bought on his advice.

Cheers

Last edited:
•••
It mainly depends on the advice is coming from whom. There are many experienced domain investors but I personally don't consider all of them to be credible enough to trust and take any advice.

•••
It mainly depends on the advice is coming from whom. There are many experienced domain investors but I personally don't consider all of them to be credible enough to trust and take any advice.

Word!

•••
Just because a domain LOOKS good, doesn't mean it will sell. Just because a domain sells, doesn't always mean it has to look good.

True!

•••
One learns from experience. An advice coming from a reputable, experienced domainer is one such experience.

•••
Regardless of whether you own a current business or have a thought for a startup, you need a solid online nearness. As a rule, the principal thing your potential client will do when looking out your item or administration is to direct a web search, and if your site is moderately simple to discover and explore, you'll incredibly build your odds of a deal.

•••
I think it will but the person should be reputed in the domaining space.imo
Thanks

•••
Back