Dynadot

advice A tidbit of advice to new domainers

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Hey folks

Welcome to the world of domaining! Firstly I want to wish you all success investing in or flipping domain names. Hopefully this little post will help some of you start down the right path!

Domaining can be very confusing at the beginning as there are so many different directions you can go. The first thing every new domaines needs to do is decide whether they want to be a Domain Investor or a Domain Flipper..

Domain Investors

If you plan to be a domain investor, then you will be okay with holding your domains for a long period of time waiting for the right buyer to come along who will be willing to pay a high price for your domain. It is not uncommon for domain investors to hold domain names for 2-10+ years before making a high sale. Typically if investing in domain names you will be more careful with what you choose to buy as an investment as you are also committing to pay renewal fees for that domain name for many years.

I am more of a domain investor now but we will get more into that below.

Domain Flippers

This was the path I chose when I started and slowly became an investor. I made the equity to acquire my long term HOLDS by being a domain flipper.

A domain flipper will purchase domain names that are popular investments in the current market (example 4 letter .com) and they resell them for a profit. The profit margin as a domain flipper can be small but it can also be large. In my opinion if you want to flip domains quickly you should list your names at 100% - 200% more than what you've paid. The biggest hurdle to get over as a flipper is not getting attached to your names and accept a profit when it is presented!

Note: Domain flippers typically are selling to other domainers..

Multiple times I have purchased great domain names for $500-$1500 and resold them for $2000-$7500 within 30 days. I did not start purchasing higher priced domain names until a couple years into domaining.

Here is how I got the equity to buy semi premium and premium domain names.

When I started out, 4 letter.com domains could be purchased near registration price $10-$15. But I noticed they were consistently selling on marketplaces for $20-$50. So for the first few months I'd buy a $15 domain and resell for $30 for example. Not a huge profit, but it was a profit and was a consistent profit. Multiply that a few times a week and I was making some okay steady money.

Eventually I moved to brandable and keyword .com domains. Buying for $50 and selling for $100-$150. I would take the $150 and reinvest it in "one" better name, sell that name for $250 and reinvest it again and again until I had $1500 to buy a great domain and then I would seek end users for that name. The great domain names were always .com or .net and always one word.

Every now and then I still like to play the flipping game. Typically it will be for high value names which I've invested high $xxx or more in. You will see me post the sale results in the "report completed sales" thread every so often.

So... new domainers need to decide in the beginning if they are a domain flipper or investor.

If you decide to be a flipper you may choose to fucus on one of these niches or find you own niche that works for you...

~ 4 letter .com or short domains (Liquid Domains)
~ Aged keyword domains
~ Domains with backlinks or good metrics like high page rank
~ Domains with past sales history

Happy Domaining

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
Great advice to all newbies out there...

•••
Good domain-in-a-nutshell tips. Thank you!

•••
•••
•••
•••
Very well summarized tips for beginners!

•••
That's good advice thank you.

•••
Awesome tips and advice.
I wondered where is the best place to sell the keyword .com and .net domain?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back