Dynadot

poll Are You Making Money, Losing Money, Don't Know

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Are you making money domaining, losing money, or just don't really know?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • Making Money

• Losing Money

• Not Sure

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Silentptnr

Domains88.comTop Member
Impact
Are you making money domaining, losing money, or just don't really know? Feel free to comment!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I'm losing (a lot of) money.
Sometimes I ask to myself how can I make 3k per month (where I live, in my country, in my city you need 2.5/3k Eur. per month) and live with domaining.
I've buy domiains, develop dozens sites, I've invest a lot of money, but my return is 0 Eur.
0 Eur. guys.

Build 1-2 profitable sites, not dozens.

•••
The more I sleep, the more domains I sell!

Joking aside, the end of last year and beginning of this year hasn't been too bad at all. I've made enough to renew all the domains I want to press on with for a year or two, managed to pay for all my car problems :-/ and still have money in the account to pay with or invest in better quality .com's!

•••
•••
I'm losing money in domaining. :(

•••
Many ppl enter this game thinking, "RandomMissspelledTerm.com sold for $5k, so I could get rich regging a piece of shit, too!" I'll go on a limb and say 99.5% of every domaainer in the world is in the red. That's a huge number to estimate, but I stand behind it. Once you're handed the reins, you see that it's not as easy as regging something and making money in your big-ass pool, on the south wing of a mansion. Sometimes, circumstances are there that make a terrible domain sell well. I'd hate to be the messenger here, but these sales are freakishly large for a reason (Does the domain come with assets? Trademarks? Maybe a developed website?) ppl enter this game with dollar signs in their eyes. And most leave with the dollar signs morphed into tears. That's simply the reality of it.

Surely, there are successful domainers out there other than me. There is no way I’m alone in this boat. Yes, I make far more than the average domainer (going by my belief that the average domainer sees no profits). But let me tell you: it didn’t happen overnight. I’ve been doing this for well over a decade. I’ve lost THOUSANDS of dollars before I learned to pull a profit. Should I have quit long ago, back before my losses grew to Draconian figures? Honesty, it might have been for the best had I quit. But with practice and a stubborn-as-hell mindset, I learned the tricks of the trade. Last year, for example, I bought a domain for about $17 and sold it a month or 2 later for $2000. If you’re stubborn yet willing to learn, there are a lotta possibilities out there for you.

But it’s a process. If you aren’t making money, feel better knowing that you’re one of 99.5% who also hasn’t entered the green. But if you try hard and smart enough, you’ll escape that domainer hell. I do advise though that if you’ve failed to profit after a year, STOP EVERYTHING ELSE and take a long, hard look at your portfolio & sales practices. If no profit is there after a year, well, there has to be a reason somewhere. You might be best off getting as far from domaining as possible. Yet like me, you might actually get somewhere… with stubbornness and the willingness to learn.

•••
Many ppl enter this game thinking, "RandomMissspelledTerm.com sold for $5k, so I could get rich regging a piece of sh*t, too!" I'll go on a limb and say 99.5% of every domaainer in the world is in the red. That's a huge number to estimate, but I stand behind it. Once you're handed the reins, you see that it's not as easy as regging something and making money in your big-ass pool, on the south wing of a mansion. Sometimes, circumstances are there that make a terrible domain sell well. I'd hate to be the messenger here, but these sales are freakishly large for a reason (Does the domain come with assets? Trademarks? Maybe a developed website?) ppl enter this game with dollar signs in their eyes. And most leave with the dollar signs morphed into tears. That's simply the reality of it.

Surely, there are successful domainers out there other than me. There is no way I’m alone in this boat. Yes, I make far more than the average domainer (going by my belief that the average domainer sees no profits). But let me tell you: it didn’t happen overnight. I’ve been doing this for well over a decade. I’ve lost THOUSANDS of dollars before I learned to pull a profit. Should I have quit long ago, back before my losses grew to Draconian figures? Honesty, it might have been for the best had I quit. But with practice and a stubborn-as-hell mindset, I learned the tricks of the trade. Last year, for example, I bought a domain for about $17 and sold it a month or 2 later for $2000. If you’re stubborn yet willing to learn, there are a lotta possibilities out there for you.

But it’s a process. If you aren’t making money, feel better knowing that you’re one of 99.5% who also hasn’t entered the green. But if you try hard and smart enough, you’ll escape that domainer hell. I do advise though that if you’ve failed to profit after a year, STOP EVERYTHING ELSE and take a long, hard look at your portfolio & sales practices. If no profit is there after a year, well, there has to be a reason somewhere. You might be best off getting as far from domaining as possible. Yet like me, you might actually get somewhere… with stubbornness and the willingness to learn.
Why do you stand behind 99.5%? You didn't just make that up?

•••
I was among the highest-ranked mods here at NP for a long tie, and I've been here pretty much from the start. My 99.5% is "made up," as my post says (I said it was an estimation). This comes from studying/interacting with literally hundreds of ppl throughout the years

Why do you stand behind 99.5%? You didn't just make that up?

•••
Build 1-2 profitable sites, not dozens.
I've got two friends who are successful at building sites. One guy has lots of sites that do brilliantly with adsense and the other started to make money when he cut it back to a couple because it wasn't adsense.

It depends really. I've spent about 14 months making one site and hope to launch soon. I definitely fall in the "a couple is better" camp.

•••
I just started, but am happy doing it, and am always motivating my self, and I can't wait to sell that domain

Last edited:
•••
Whatever I sold so far, I got good profit. But what about the large inventory that I have? When I am going to sell them all? I really do not have any idea.

•••
2015 was my first (hopefully only) unprofitable year in domaining, since 2007. There was a lot of hype around the new tlds, and I was focused on pruning my portfolio. I was disconnected too long, letting 5n.coms drop and selling chips for peanuts :D

•••
Overall I´ve lost money. Starting domaining in 2007 I heavily invested in an new gTLD which was a bet on mobile websites not anticipating that Apple and others would reign with their apps. Big losses!

Later I concentrated on coms and since 2013 there are few positive bucks left. Weighing my time I should stop domaining immediately. However, I love it, it is a business and a hobby though collecting domains (what I do a bit) is expensive regarding reg fees. Too much pidgeon shit in my portfolio as Rick Schwartz would state.

Thus, my vote is neutral on the question of this thread by now. Future may be more positive (or not - who is able to see the future). Experience and knowledge and discipline are very important in domaining. Most bucks I made by selling hand-registered English dot.coms (I am German with medium EN language skills but enough fantasy). There might be a new step of success buying really good aged coms in the aftermarket but until now I did not have the balls to get there.

•••
I'm trying to get rid of my pigeon shit too :)
And I stop buying domain in new domain extension.
And stay with domains renewal under $10/yr per domains.

Slim portfolio of dot com would be nice. Maybe under 1000 domains to keep it manageable.

•••
I'm trying to get rid of my pigeon sh*t too :)
And I stop buying domain in new domain extension.
And stay with domains renewal under $10/yr per domains.

Slim portfolio of dot com would be nice. Maybe under 1000 domains to keep it manageable.

But those assets in your signature are huge assetts. Keep it up and good luck. Cheers.

•••
Though, I have sold some names here on namepros but nothing to write home about, they are all token as I can refer to those sales here.
What I know is, when I see good names I recognse them and when I buy or regged them; there is no sales.

Proberbly, something is wrong somewhere. I make sure I study on daily basis. I realised I am unable to stop domaining even though I sometimes wish to stop, but I kept on pushing, though I don't have a big portfolio. Domaining is higjly adictive.

Ihave ablog that is making the business interesting to me

Above all, I love domaining.

Last edited:
•••
Take away greed and impatient with focusing mainly on keyword domains, u'll definitely make good income from domaining. I love it, it the right business to go with.

•••
They key to success in domaining and even developing is being able to focus on a small select group of things, while also staying diversified, and that's not an easy balance to strike.

•••
I have been into domaining for around 7-8 months now. I am yet to make a 4-fig sale! :P

As I am new to this, I am very careful with what I invest in. So, almost all of my sales are in $xx-$xxx range because I only buy domains that are available within this range. I am yet to make a 4-fig purchase as well.

Overall, in these past months I have made low $xxxx in profit. :D

So far, so good. :)

•••
Not making money. I should probably quit.

•••
•••
The more I sleep, the more domains I sell!

sleeping is good for your brain
as while you sleep your brain reorganises the connections
and deletes the ones that are no longer needed

that why its a good advice to sleep once before you decide

•••
to make money with domains you need patience
play it long term ( multiple years )
you can't lose in a rising market
most of my domains sell after 5 or 7 years

•••
to make money with domains you need patience
play it long term ( multiple years )
you can't lose in a rising market
most of my domains sell after 5 or 7 years

After 5 or 7 years or what?

•••
Are you making money domaining, losing money, or just don't really know? Feel free to comment!
You don't have an option in your poll for breaking even.

I'm breaking even so far and I'm happy with that!

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back